PDA

View Full Version : MSM questions

CleanNeon98
05-31-2008, 09:23 PM
In the process of purchasing an MSM from work, as long as the price is right (i havent found out our cost yet) but I want to know more about the car.

I know about some of the upgrades from the standard MX5, but I am looking for reliability info, etc.etc.

It is a 2004 Silver with a tad over 35k miles on it, bone stock.

i like rice
05-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Reliability is pretty much the same as the naturally aspirated version, which is fine. No major troublesome areas but the car does have it's quirks. The 6 speed transmission has had issues with the shifter bushing popping off. The stock fuel maps makes the car run ultra rich at around 4600-5200 rpm. Some vehicles have a bogging issue that no one can figure out other than to replace it with a standalone unit.

CleanNeon98
05-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Reliability is pretty much the same as the naturally aspirated version, which is fine. No major troublesome areas but the car does have it's quirks. The 6 speed transmission has had issues with the shifter bushing popping off. The stock fuel maps makes the car run ultra rich at around 4600-5200 rpm. Some vehicles have a bogging issue that no one can figure out other than to replace it with a standalone unit.
Shifter bushings, does that mean that there is a chance for a misshift?? I dont want to blow the trans, and wouldnt solid metal bushings clear that area up??

Should I worry about this stuff? I dont plan on modding the car for a while, I like it the way it is, if anything Ill get smaller wheels and different tires first.

i like rice
06-01-2008, 09:16 AM
http://asianguywithacamera.com/temp/bushing.jpg

The white bushing will slowly pop off. Mine came off after the Sonic meet in March later in the evening. I noticed reverse was difficult to get into and 2nd & 4th were sloppy. I took it apart on Sunday and bushing wasn't on the shaft lol It won't effect the reliability all that much as long as you pop it back on.

CleanNeon98
06-01-2008, 10:14 AM
http://asianguywithacamera.com/temp/bushing.jpg

The white bushing will slowly pop off. Mine came off after the Sonic meet in March later in the evening. I noticed reverse was difficult to get into and 2nd & 4th were sloppy. I took it apart on Sunday and bushing wasn't on the shaft lol It won't effect the reliability all that much as long as you pop it back on.
Gotcha, thanks. One guy that took it for a test drive said that the shift bushnigs or something were loose or worn cause the shifter wobbled a bit from side to side or felt mushy or something but when I drove it the next day I didnt see what he was talking about. As long as the actual shift cables dont come off im not worried.
What do you think is a fair price for that car. 2004 Silver bone stock with the GT package (leather interior with red stitching), 35k miles.

i like rice
06-01-2008, 10:22 AM
You can find them on mazda-speed.com for about $14-15k, if you're willing to travel

CleanNeon98
06-01-2008, 10:34 AM
You can find them on mazda-speed.com for about $14-15k, if you're willing to travel
So under 14k would be good? I gotta find out my price on it, if its lower than 14k ill bite the bullet but I dont want to buy it thinking im getting a good deal when instead im getting ****ed

edit: just found out my approximate cost from the manheim database, if its what i will pay I will soon have a new DD :)

Thanks for all your help rice

CleanNeon98
06-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey rice, I got a wheel question.

I got a set of 15x6.5 wheels with a +40 offset sitting in my garage..will I be able to use them on this thing?

i like rice
06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Depends on the spoke design. Some 15s with those offsets won't clear the caliper.

CleanNeon98
06-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Depends on the spoke design. Some 15s with those offsets won't clear the caliper.
Its a rota subzero..I guess Ill have to just try and fit em this weekend.

edit: what if I run a spacer?? As long as the caliper fits into the wheel but doesnt clear the spokes if I run like a 3mm or a 5mm spacer, would that look goofy?

i like rice
06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
The clearance issue is usually minor, so a 3 or 5 mm spacer would make it fit if it doesn't.

CleanNeon98
06-01-2008, 06:52 PM
The clearance issue is usually minor, so a 3 or 5 mm spacer would make it fit if it doesn't.
Cool, thanks. Any recomendations on first mods?? Something small and cheap, my main thing will be paying the car off..what kinda BOVs are there for these cars...non recirculating ones

TROLL
06-01-2008, 07:04 PM
sounds like a fun car to buy, and if you're getting a good deal on it and can afford the payments then right on.
are you keeping the civic? seems unnecessary if you'll have a fun car that still gets good mileage in the miata.
as far as modding, sure start doing your research now but i wouldnt jump into anything until you have some time to settle into the car, it'll be a lot different than what you've got now and should be plenty of fun.

CleanNeon98
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
sounds like a fun car to buy, and if you're getting a good deal on it and can afford the payments then right on.
are you keeping the civic? seems unnecessary if you'll have a fun car that still gets good mileage in the miata.
as far as modding, sure start doing your research now but i wouldnt jump into anything until you have some time to settle into the car, it'll be a lot different than what you've got now and should be plenty of fun.
Yep, thanks. The first and probbably only thing ill do for now will be HID headlights cause they actually work in the MSM headlights with a nice sharp cutoff.

This car is a whole different world for me. Compared to my car it has

turbo engine
rwd
lsd
6-speed
totally different driving habits (the thing is VERY responsive)

it also has a lot of amenities that I like such as

leather
bose stereo
oem keyless entry
comes with books and a mazda oem car cover

I definately will need time to get my mind focused first, i have to remember that im going from a commuter car to a sports car and will have to be careful to take my time and ease into it. Im reading on some sites already.

Tomorrow I will know if I get it or not (depends what my price is) and if its good im putting down a 900 deposit and taking it home, the civic will stay on the lot to be sold

the only thing I worry about is winter driving because I heard regular miatas are a bit tricky, and this one has much shorter gearing than the regular ones, but a few bad days in the year arent going to stop me

TROLL
06-01-2008, 08:27 PM
yeah, i've heard that a good set of snow tires does wonders for a rwd car in the snow if you use your head and have a little bit of experience in controlling the car if it does start to slide, so i dont think it'll be an issue.

CleanNeon98
06-01-2008, 09:43 PM
yeah, i've heard that a good set of snow tires does wonders for a rwd car in the snow if you use your head and have a little bit of experience in controlling the car if it does start to slide, so i dont think it'll be an issue.
Ill have to get used to the technique, but im definately psyched about this..kinda anxious for tomorrow to come.

disturbedfan121
06-01-2008, 11:14 PM
if you wanna get rid of those rota sub neon i'll most likely take em i need new wheels lol, btw msm's are great if you get one def join miatamob.org, you'll learn more about miata's there and everyone is jersey/pa local

EDIT: 15's look small on msm's 16-17 looks good fits the wheel well and looks good when lowered too

i like rice
06-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Cool, thanks. Any recomendations on first mods?? Something small and cheap, my main thing will be paying the car off..what kinda BOVs are there for these cars...non recirculating ones

BEGI intake and an electronic boost controller
GReddy BOV (HKS SS seems to cause idle issues)

downpipe
catback
ebay HID
ebay intercooler

The basic bolt ons at 10 psi should be good for about 195-205 rwhp. With bigger injectors (ie 305cc) and 12 psi, you should get about 215-220 rwhp.

I try and buy used. I got my exhaust for $275 in Virginia, downpipe I bought new, intake new, BOV for $100 off the Evo forum, PRofec B v1 for $130 off turboforum.net.

CleanNeon98
06-02-2008, 08:00 AM
if you wanna get rid of those rota sub neon i'll most likely take em i need new wheels lol, btw msm's are great if you get one def join miatamob.org, you'll learn more about miata's there and everyone is jersey/pa local

EDIT: 15's look small on msm's 16-17 looks good fits the wheel well and looks good when lowered too
PM me if interested

BEGI intake and an electronic boost controller
GReddy BOV (HKS SS seems to cause idle issues)

downpipe
catback
ebay HID
ebay intercooler

The basic bolt ons at 10 psi should be good for about 195-205 rwhp. With bigger injectors (ie 305cc) and 12 psi, you should get about 215-220 rwhp.

I try and buy used. I got my exhaust for $275 in Virginia, downpipe I bought new, intake new, BOV for $100 off the Evo forum, PRofec B v1 for $130 off turboforum.net.
How much boost are the stock engine and turbo good for?

edit: just got an insurance quote. i pay 150 for bare coverage on my civic, for the miata they said 157 a month and it would include flood, fire, vandalism, deer, etc.etc. all with a 250 deductable...fair?

disturbedfan121
06-02-2008, 10:55 PM
it can hold quite a bit, i wouldn't raise the boost without getting the mods to support it, IE, better downpipe, exhuast, bigger injectors, boost controller etc....

i like rice
06-02-2008, 11:38 PM
PM me if interested

How much boost are the stock engine and turbo good for?

edit: just got an insurance quote. i pay 150 for bare coverage on my civic, for the miata they said 157 a month and it would include flood, fire, vandalism, deer, etc.etc. all with a 250 deductable...fair?

On stock turbos, you won't have to worry about max boost. Stock injectors are good up to about 11.5-12 psi before you get detonation. The stock turbo is good up to about 13-14 psi. The bottom end can handle about 15-16 psi but at these levels, you'd be running a slightly larger turbo with at least 370cc injectors.

How old are you?

I'm paying $33/month for full coverage and $500 deductibles. 2 vehicles on the policy, 28 years old, single, no kids, no tickets/violations/claims in 10 years.

Bodily Injury Liability $25,000/$50,000
Property Damage Liability $15,000
First Party Benefits OPTION A
Uninsured Motorist Stacked $25,000/$50,000
Underinsured Motorists Stacked $25,000/$50,000
Comprehensive $500 Ded.
Collision $500 Ded.
PA Tort Full Tort Full Tort

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
On stock turbos, you won't have to worry about max boost. Stock injectors are good up to about 11.5-12 psi before you get detonation. The stock turbo is good up to about 13-14 psi. The bottom end can handle about 15-16 psi but at these levels, you'd be running a slightly larger turbo with at least 370cc injectors.

How old are you?

I'm paying $33/month for full coverage and $500 deductibles. 2 vehicles on the policy, 28 years old, single, no kids, no tickets/violations/claims in 10 years.

Bodily Injury Liability $25,000/$50,000
Property Damage Liability $15,000
First Party Benefits OPTION A
Uninsured Motorist Stacked $25,000/$50,000
Underinsured Motorists Stacked $25,000/$50,000
Comprehensive $500 Ded.
Collision $500 Ded.
PA Tort Full Tort Full Tort
I am 19.
One thing I noticed is that sometimes there is a little grind into 2nd, it might just be me not used to the car. Also, reverse is a hit or miss...i think the bushing problem you were talking about has happened to this car.

i like rice
06-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Reverse is odd on the 6 speed, regardless of the bushing.

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Reverse is odd on the 6 speed, regardless of the bushing.
Is it normal for the shifter to wobble around a bit though? I can still feel it engage well, but even when its in gear, I can move it side to side and back and forth pretty easily...this normal?

Also ive got a problem with the driver's side door latch. Its kinda like sticking so I have to sometimes close the door using the key, or manually from the inside...its like the latching mechanism is stuck on something...common issue or I should take the door apart and have a look?? I think its out of warranty already, and I doubt that kinda thing would be covered anyway.

TalonTsi97
06-03-2008, 06:36 PM
2 proteges i have driven and a friends all had the same similar shaking of the shifter when in gear, maybe it's a mazda thing?

pearl
06-03-2008, 06:56 PM
damn, spending 17k on a car and youre ripping door panels and **** off?

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I didnt pay anywhere near the price on our site. Working for a dealer is great especially when you are the faved employee :cool:

Nors
06-03-2008, 07:08 PM

If it needs to be fixed why not?

edit: didn't know you were 19, thats cool.

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 07:17 PM
If it needs to be fixed why not?

edit: didn't know you were 19, thats cool.
I know, im a youngin :cry:

im 19 and on my 4th car...wow did i make some wrong choices in life haha

1990 Pontiac 6000LE
1997 (or 1998) Dodge Neon Sport
2001 Honda Civic LX
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

I really dont want to update the list again anytime soon.

i like rice
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Is it normal for the shifter to wobble around a bit though? I can still feel it engage well, but even when its in gear, I can move it side to side and back and forth pretty easily...this normal?

Also ive got a problem with the driver's side door latch. Its kinda like sticking so I have to sometimes close the door using the key, or manually from the inside...its like the latching mechanism is stuck on something...common issue or I should take the door apart and have a look?? I think its out of warranty already, and I doubt that kinda thing would be covered anyway.

While in gear? No, there shouldn't be any play.. only when you're accelerating does it jerk around due to the torque.

The door latch issue isn't normal (not common on any Miata).

wheresmycar
06-03-2008, 08:18 PM
MAZDASPEED
Shades of Gray Tint
Canon Rebel XTi
EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 , EF 50mm f/1.8 II

You have the car already and no pictures?:(

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 08:27 PM
While in gear? No, there shouldn't be any play.. only when you're accelerating does it jerk around due to the torque.

The door latch issue isn't normal (not common on any Miata).
Bushing??

Ill take the door apart and see

You have the car already and no pictures?:(

The car is unofficially mine, I am just waitin for the money to come through and I will have it in my posession at the end of the week.

i like rice
06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Probably just a cable that needs adjusted or something needs lubed and yeah, your bushing is probably getting worn out.

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Probably just a cable that needs adjusted or something needs lubed and yeah, your bushing is probably getting worn out.
Something I should worry about or its ok to buy the car?? I dont want to miss it because of a BS little problem. Ill get it on the weekend and if I dont get it fixed right away and see you at a meet you think you can check it out? I dont expect you to take the door apart but at least the shifter, see what you think? My next meet is probbably West Chester part 7

i like rice
06-03-2008, 09:38 PM
You probably won't see me at any TST meets for awhile. I have something going on every weekend out through August.

If you have the car by Sunday, check out LVMOC.net - we have the Pocono Run this Sunday, probably the best event of the year.

http://asianguywithacamera.com/images/2007events/LVMOC_061007/images/pocono25.jpg
50+ cars on the 150 mile drive

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
hmm....ill give that a look but its unlikely...sunday i want to start working out the stuff on the car..shifter, door, oil change, etc.

what weight and brand oil is best for it?

TROLL
06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
change the oil or go to the best event of the year? hmmmm.

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
change the oil or go to the best event of the year? hmmmm.
I wont get to do either cause Ill be under the weather lol

besides, the event will be there next year, a siezed motor wont be..not sayin its gona sieze but i just want to do the basic stuff asap it makes me feel better, especially after dropping the money im about to

disturbedfan121
06-03-2008, 10:33 PM
10w30 is what i run in my NA and what oil is recommended, I'm almost positive that is was is recommended for the MSM too, ill hold off on the congrats about joining the miata community cause at the moment its not officially yours lol

CleanNeon98
06-03-2008, 10:50 PM
10w30 is what i run in my NA and what oil is recommended, I'm almost positive that is was is recommended for the MSM too, ill hold off on the congrats about joining the miata community cause at the moment its not officially yours lol
I read the owners manual and it says 5w-30...but thats what i run in the civic, seems kinda low for a turbo car.