PDA

View Full Version : Can someone point me in the right direction...

MrDS0613
05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Basicly I'm looking to get into auto body/ painting as a career but have no idea where to start. I'm sure that at least one person on here does this for a living and I was hoping they could give me some tips or advice on how to get into this field. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

05suby
05-31-2008, 02:51 PM
not to thread jack but ive been looking for the same thing. every place wants someone with experience, not to teach. good luck tho.

Proven
06-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Check out Bucks County Tech School for night classes or any other technical school close to you for night classes for adults. I’ve been looking to learn how to weld and they have night classes for it (that started 2 weeks before I found out :/ of course)

Also just walk into pretty much any privately owned auto body shop and ask them if you can be an apprentice (sweep floors, sand this, sand that, until they trust you enough for the bigger things)

This may sound dumb but go to any local junkyard. Find an old fender or hood. Take it home and Bang that bitch with a hammer then fix it. Maybe find one with rust also. Search online with “how to fix dents, paint, fix rust, etc.” and try teach yourself. You can get most of the tools needed online (ebay) like small compressor, lines, paint gun, and even the paint itself.

yellow2000S/R
06-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I went to WyoTech in Blairsville and learned a lot. You learn what you put into the class. If you decide to be one of the guys who drinks often and would rather party, than you will most likely come out thinking it was a waste and/or fail. Seen it happen to many kids there.

I know all about the "must have 2-5 year experience" deal. I applied at many fabrication and hot/street rod shops to do anything related to what I took classes for and was turned down for limited to no experience.

I graduated December 21st 07 and took Trim/Upholstery, Collision, Refinishing, Applied Service Management (auto related business/accounting class), and Chassis Fabrication/High perf engines.

I started full time M-F 8am-5pm at Sun Motorcars working in their Collision shop on May 7th. Right now I'm a painters assistant making $10/hr for the 1st 90 days and then I get evaluated and based on my performance, attitude, and quality, my pay rate is raised accordingly. The standard from what I've gathered from the other techs is a raise of $3-5. Then I guess after another 90 days I have another evaluation, and after that it goes to a yearly one.

After my 90 days benefits start. Benefits are paid holidays, paid vacation, medical, life, long-term disability, workers comp, and when I turn 21, a 401k plan. If I stay with the company for 10 years they will match whatever is saved in my 401k and then continue matching every amount I deposit. Dental and vision care is voluntary and paid in full by me the employee.

I also get discounts. Parts are at cost +25%, labor is 20% off for personal vehicles, new vehicles through manufacture purchase program w/o commissions, used vehicles are $1k over wholesale/cost.

You're best bet is starting off in a dealership. Show up on time if you get an interview clean and all that crap. Bring a few questions to ask them pertaining benefits, work hours, dress code, and anything else you can think of. Also bring an extra copy of your resume and references so you have them on hand if you have to fill out one of their applications and if they want to go over anything quick you have it on hand (as should they).

Our shop is ridiculously clean but what do you expect from a LARGE BMW, Mercedes, Audi/Porshe dealer? I'll have to take pics sometime and post. The place is all Air-conditioned (hard to find a shop like that) and the fact its clean is awesome.

MrDS0613
06-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I talked to a guy that runs a macco. He told me that trade schools are a waste of time and money, and that I should do what you guys suggested and ask a privatly owned shop will take me on as an apprentice. Thanks for the help guys.

Scapegoat
06-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I hear maaco hires anyone