shaved hatch

black roof

freedom hatch wing

hella glass head light

1200k hids

hella yellow highs

evomike
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
With those mods and that car your basically ****ed. Your gonna be in street modified you basically are gona be going against big deal cars.

boost20th
05-28-2008, 08:55 PM
With those mods and that car your basically ****ed. Your gonna be in street modified you basically are gona be going against big deal cars.

i run with some guys with big cars i hold my own just get slow on turns i know i need tires and a lower rear sway bar but other then that i would think with a new setup pushing 450 would be a good base car why do u think i would be ****ed with my car i know its fwd but from some runs on the track it hold up where should i change things i blew the head and the turbo on the way home from the shore so new setup and tune on the way

evomike
05-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Its just not a good chasis for that that's your problem

boost20th
05-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Its just not a good chasis for that that's your problem

i see gti old and new one smoking the track its just something to play with its better to keep **** like this off the streets u know im looking to buy a miata to play with they are cheap and easy to build lots of fun to drive

evomike
05-29-2008, 01:25 AM
itsjsut not a good chasis for racing it doesnt even have independent rear suspension, youll be way outclassed to the point it wont be fun

ozthunder
05-29-2008, 01:31 AM
You should drop all of that in an original GTi. They weigh what, half a ton less? That'd be ****ing badass!

sherwood
05-29-2008, 02:09 AM
keep up the good work dude! sounds like a sick car.

alwaysinboost
05-29-2008, 07:06 AM
That car is going to be way out classed with those mods. if you want to get serious return the car to 100% stock and work on the driver mod first. once you're running the exact same times, or within a few .00x all day, then its time to add mods.

lawdogg
05-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Basically, just drive. Go to some events and drive the car. You will find it's 80% driver and 20% car, so you won't even know what you want out of your car until you get used to it and comfortable driving it. That's my advice ... don't ask what you want for your car, ask what you want from your car.

As others have said, those mods will pretty quickly get you out-classed. But that's ok.

PaleDSM
05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
A mods list like that and you are going to be slower then a stock GTI at least for awhile. 450whp is too much for a front wheel drive in an autocross. AWD cars making that have a problem putting power down.

If you want to autoX my best advise is to pick up another car and start X'ing in it stock. Figure out what you must change after driving it stock for a season. Then start to change things.

upperguy
05-29-2008, 07:56 AM
besides the chassis issues, noone else brought up the fact that you're gonna try to autoX a 450 whp FWD car. You also didn't list an LSD, slip of the mind or have you not gotten one yet? In addition to that, after owning a 2871r powered 1.8t I can tell you the lag is going to be an issue.

*E okay pale beat me with the power part

BMS
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
If i was you i wouldn't even think about autocross. that car is built for a road course, you will have so much understeer and and traction problems with a tight little 13 or 30 second run. go to NJmotorsport's park when it gets done go there or Pocono but i would just wait for NJMP.

garrettej8
05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
for autocross you're better off spending your money on suspension and working on making the car weigh less. those should be your goals not making as much power as you can. it'll be useless anyway with that kind of chassis in autocross.

FocusDude
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM
You should drop all of that in an original GTi. They weigh what, half a ton less? That'd be ****ing badass!

Badass indeed!

If your looking to have fun then do what you wish, but like it's been stated above, it won't be a competitive car in SM.

With 400+ HP you will want something much much much better then the Kuhmos, unless the are v710's. If your looking to keep street tires, look into a set of Star Spec's or RE-01's!

97`Rolla
05-29-2008, 04:21 PM
20% window tint

custom tinted tail lights

shaved hatch

black roof

freedom hatch wing

hella glass head light

1200k hids

hella yellow highs

these mods will really help in autocross.:screwy:

this build is not for an autocross car. this build sounds like a stright line car to me. big turbo and tons of power doesn't mean it will handle well on a tight turn course plus when out of the hole by the time you spool that turbo up it will be to late.

boost20th
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
these mods will really help in autocross.:screwy:

this build is not for an autocross car. this build sounds like a stright line car to me. big turbo and tons of power doesn't mean it will handle well on a tight turn course plus when out of the hole by the time you spool that turbo up it will be to late.

honda guys always got the be smart with thing didnt u read the rest of the mods everyone else knows that stufff Quoted was just my 1st project this is like my 3rd for the lsd Question i have one ready to install. tires i would like u guys to tell me what u like to use iv been to pocono and do ok for myself and i have only been passed by my buddy in his mk5 gti they handle like monsters but the turbo spools at 3200 as long as i stay in power band im good just need to buy lower sway bar or make it myself thanks for ur help guys i know its no the best car to run but its a fun time

garrettej8
05-29-2008, 07:50 PM
yeah blame the honda guys :roll:
I almost got a headache from reading all of those incomplete sentences that you wrote. good luck with your project though.

FocusDude
05-29-2008, 09:02 PM
iv been to pocono and do ok for myself and i have only been passed by my buddy in his mk5 gti they handle like monsters but the turbo spools at 3200 as long as i stay in power band im good just need to buy lower sway bar or make it myself thanks for ur help guys i know its no the best car to run but its a fun time

Auto-x is so so so different then a road course... theres a reason why dinky mini's and 20 year old civics continually own PAX. Autox is hardly about whp!

My bro-in-law had a 02 with some minor turbo work and we guessed it pushed about 250hp, he's a pretty damn good driver and would beat his own time (in the dub) on the same course in my showroom stock focus. Bigger isn't always better:bigeek:

boost20th
05-29-2008, 09:19 PM
yeah blame the honda guys :roll:
I almost got a headache from reading all of those incomplete sentences that you wrote. good luck with your project though.

yeah i should work on that . thanks

piknockout
05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
First off, you should definitely go out to a few events. There is a lot that you can learn about car control that will help to make you a better driver both on the street (emergency situations) and on a road course. I applaud you for keeping it off the streets. Just remember, autocross is first and foremost about having fun and learning to become a better driver. After you've started to learn how to drive fast, then you worry about being competitive.

And as far as competitiveness, your car as it sits would be classed in Street Modified (SM). SM is a very difficult class to compete in at the top level, with the top car at Nats last year being Daddio's 500whp EVO running 295 r-comps all around, a car and setup that can make use of its big power and actually put it all to the ground. While you're pushing significant power, being able to use all of that power on an autocross course will be difficult, especially on corner exit and especially without an LSD and r-comps. While the car can hang with many EVO's I'm sure on the street, at the drags, or on a road course, it just cannot do so well on an autocross course. I would just about guarantee that if you put a great driver in an HS prepared Mini (non-S), and then had him drive your car in its current state on course, he would probably be faster in the Mini. Does it make sense what I'm saying?

Now if you seriously do want to prep the car for autocross and stay in SM, you can do so and be competitive on a local/regional level. There are several GTI's out there doing so in the area. But first things first, you'll need some r-comps...and meaty ones at that. Probably a setup running 275's in the front with probably 245's in the back. Second, you'll need that LSD installed to help put the power down. And speaking of power, you'll need to re-work that system. Probably a smaller turbo that will spool quickly and smoothly with no more than 300whp.

But as stated in the beginning, come on out and HAVE FUN, learn to drive better, and then see how far you want to go with your current setup, or just keep your car the way it is and buy something else to soley autocross that you know is competitive in its class. You can get a prepped ES MR2 for around $5k or so I believe as an example. Hope this helps and hope you make it out. :wink:

boost20th
05-31-2008, 11:16 AM
First off, you should definitely go out to a few events. There is a lot that you can learn about car control that will help to make you a better driver both on the street (emergency situations) and on a road course. I applaud you for keeping it off the streets. Just remember, autocross is first and foremost about having fun and learning to become a better driver. After you've started to learn how to drive fast, then you worry about being competitive.

And as far as competitiveness, your car as it sits would be classed in Street Modified (SM). SM is a very difficult class to compete in at the top level, with the top car at Nats last year being Daddio's 500whp EVO running 295 r-comps all around, a car and setup that can make use of its big power and actually put it all to the ground. While you're pushing significant power, being able to use all of that power on an autocross course will be difficult, especially on corner exit and especially without an LSD and r-comps. While the car can hang with many EVO's I'm sure on the street, at the drags, or on a road course, it just cannot do so well on an autocross course. I would just about guarantee that if you put a great driver in an HS prepared Mini (non-S), and then had him drive your car in its current state on course, he would probably be faster in the Mini. Does it make sense what I'm saying?

Now if you seriously do want to prep the car for autocross and stay in SM, you can do so and be competitive on a local/regional level. There are several GTI's out there doing so in the area. But first things first, you'll need some r-comps...and meaty ones at that. Probably a setup running 275's in the front with probably 245's in the back. Second, you'll need that LSD installed to help put the power down. And speaking of power, you'll need to re-work that system. Probably a smaller turbo that will spool quickly and smoothly with no more than 300whp.

But as stated in the beginning, come on out and HAVE FUN, learn to drive better, and then see how far you want to go with your current setup, or just keep your car the way it is and buy something else to soley autocross that you know is competitive in its class. You can get a prepped ES MR2 for around $5k or so I believe as an example. Hope this helps and hope you make it out. :wink:

hey thanks alot i have a friend that teaches at pocono and a track in VR he drives a black 1978 911 worked.great guy he has been showing me some things around the track the lsd is going in as we speak and the retune on the engine is also under way maybe we could meet up at the tracks one day do u think i would do better on a road course

shuttlegoose
06-01-2008, 02:41 PM
yeah i wouldn't even think about autocrossing that to be honest with you. First of all the 3067 will put down way to much power for a fwd car and also it will spool slow. You wanna stick to a big track where you might see 3rd gear to use some of that power. i just saw a 89 crx with about 100hp beat my time by like 15 seconds haha so power DEFINITELY isn't everything, that and it was my first autox :mrgreen:

xEJ20x
06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
From lookin at the set up you posted....it seems that youre power setup is a bit too much for it.

Ask 4drstunner and UnderpoweredRS, they both have alot of power and wheelspin alot on the course.

But at least go to one and see how things turn out.

4cefed4
06-04-2008, 09:54 PM
My chipped stock turbo 1.8T puts out too much torque for autocross use. I dyno'd at 290 ft-lbs on race gas, and without a LSD it's almost better to run a stock boost map for the more technical courses. Your best bet is to check out: http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%20Rules/2008_Solo_Rules_2.pdf to see what mods are allowed in what class. As pretty much everyone else here has said, if you bring your car as-is to an event, you'll be racing in SM which has some REALLY quick cars. How competitive a class is seems to vary a lot from region to region. When I lived in Buffalo, NY I would race STS with my car, and usually end up somewhere in the top half. Here in NJ, STS is swamped with some fast civics and integras, and I have a better chance at winning DSP on street tires than I do finishing in the top half of STS.

For autocross mods that you haven't mentioned yet, in a MK4 it's all about tires, negative camber up front, 300+ #/in springs, stiff shocks, and a fat rear sway bar. VW suspension geometry goes to sh*t if you lower the car more than an inch from stock, so a good bed for most people is to get some coilovers and jack them up for track days. Next event at Englishtown is the saturday before father's day. There's usually four of us with MK4s, take a trip there and you can see what it's all about. :)

turboman808
06-05-2008, 04:53 AM
Really a lousy car IMO. My brother has one still. It's good for a daily driver. For autoxing the car was just terrible. Doesn't like to turn at all LOL

But while you will get your ass handed to you just have fun. Heck I took a 2007 4 door civic autoxing on stock tires. Man I was slow but I had fun.

I would see if you actualy like it before spending a **** load on tires. You definetly need the LSD if you want to even get respectable times. They help a ton in front wheel drive cars.

Also a real beefy rear sway bar will help you to get the car rotate. It will feel almost like the car is incontrolable but thats what will get you the fastest time in a fwd car. flick the wheel to get the rear to rotate then hammer the pedal with the front wheels pointing in the direction you want to go.

Whats funny to me is ya listed all this junk that tells me nothing other then you spent alot of money on things. Whats does any of that have to do with autox or road racing? Give me a dyno graph and tell me you corner weights and wheel alignment then we can see where you are at.

TGilb2007
06-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I gotta agree with everyone here. You have a TON of power going to the front wheels, but very little to control all of it in tight corners. Granted, you have an amazing build, and quite the impressive mod list, but for auto-x, you are not gonna fair too well. Either take the current build to a road coarse, or find a different project for Auto-X.

alwaysinboost
06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
you're getting some good advise here.

If I were you I would just go out there and have fun. you aren't going to win any championships no matter what car you are in so just enjoy the car and learn how to drive it correctly.

boost20th
06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
My chipped stock turbo 1.8T puts out too much torque for autocross use. I dyno'd at 290 ft-lbs on race gas, and without a LSD it's almost better to run a stock boost map for the more technical courses. Your best bet is to check out: http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%20Rules/2008_Solo_Rules_2.pdf to see what mods are allowed in what class. As pretty much everyone else here has said, if you bring your car as-is to an event, you'll be racing in SM which has some REALLY quick cars. How competitive a class is seems to vary a lot from region to region. When I lived in Buffalo, NY I would race STS with my car, and usually end up somewhere in the top half. Here in NJ, STS is swamped with some fast civics and integras, and I have a better chance at winning DSP on street tires than I do finishing in the top half of STS.

For autocross mods that you haven't mentioned yet, in a MK4 it's all about tires, negative camber up front, 300+ #/in springs, stiff shocks, and a fat rear sway bar. VW suspension geometry goes to sh*t if you lower the car more than an inch from stock, so a good bed for most people is to get some coilovers and jack them up for track days. Next event at Englishtown is the saturday before father's day. There's usually four of us with MK4s, take a trip there and you can see what it's all about. :)
i have coil overs pss9 im loking to see what tires are the best to run i just changed the wastegate spring back down to 16 psi spring and the boost at 16 im just waiting to run on the dyno and retune with unitronics 630cc big turbo software im going to take everyones comments and just try to run a road course i should do alot better on there thanks to everyone for ur help

boost20th
06-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Really a lousy car IMO. My brother has one still. It's good for a daily driver. For autoxing the car was just terrible. Doesn't like to turn at all LOL

But while you will get your ass handed to you just have fun. Heck I took a 2007 4 door civic autoxing on stock tires. Man I was slow but I had fun.

I would see if you actualy like it before spending a **** load on tires. You definetly need the LSD if you want to even get respectable times. They help a ton in front wheel drive cars.

Also a real beefy rear sway bar will help you to get the car rotate. It will feel almost like the car is incontrolable but thats what will get you the fastest time in a fwd car. flick the wheel to get the rear to rotate then hammer the pedal with the front wheels pointing in the direction you want to go.

Whats funny to me is ya listed all this junk that tells me nothing other then you spent alot of money on things. Whats does any of that have to do with autox or road racing? Give me a dyno graph and tell me you corner weights and wheel alignment then we can see where you are at.

on my old setup stock block super 60 turbo 440cc injectors 16 psi it pushed 367whp with 320 torque. with the new one setup ill find out maybe in 2 weeks there are some things im working on

boost20th
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
you're getting some good advise here.

If I were you I would just go out there and have fun. you aren't going to win any championships no matter what car you are in so just enjoy the car and learn how to drive it correctly.

i have autoxed with some of the older guy i know its all about fun for me i just want to improve the car some im running with some of these cars they are all of my rich friends im the only broke ass lol
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/th_IMG_0688.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/IMG_0688.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/th_l_0001b744de0e81939b484e5126bc7d49.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/l_0001b744de0e81939b484e5126bc7d49.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/th_l_93eb85ac945f3a5bc0e430cda1607bce.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/l_93eb85ac945f3a5bc0e430cda1607bce.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/th_IMG_0281.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/IMG_0281.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/th_IMG_0286.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/IMG_0286.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/th_IMG_0287.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/IMG_0287.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/th_IMG_0682.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/turbogetta/IMG_0682.jpg)

FocusDude
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Which region do you auto-x with?