PDA

View Full Version : WRX tire help?

Gdog5752
09-22-2005, 05:55 PM
My RE 92's are about gone. I was wondering what some good tires people have found to put onto stock rims. I can't afford my new rims yet so I gotta stick with stock. Once I get my good ones I'm gonna put blizzacks onto my stock ones but I can't do that yet. So I guess I need a mid priced tire that performs well also( I know that's a bit of an oxymoron) Any advice would be appreciated.
Thankx :)

TROLL
09-22-2005, 06:40 PM
i'm looking into buying some wheels and tires from someone right now but i dont need the tires. they are 205/55/16 Lemans HRs which i looked into and they look like a half decent high performance all season tire. i have to check into their mileage and figure out how much the tires should cost used but i can get back to you if you are interested. it'll be a low cost way to get some new rubber onto your stock wheels.
bryan

Gdog5752
09-22-2005, 07:19 PM
I appreciate your offer. I actually know those tires. I worked at firestone for 5 years and we sold them. They are a decent tire but I don't think they would be very good for a WRX. I have put them onto a lot of stock hondas, acuras, chevy, and fords. Don't get me wrong they are good for those cars but I don't think they will handle WRX "Spirited" driving. I think the stock re 92's are actually better for that. I would like to get out of them though.

TROLL
09-22-2005, 07:24 PM
thats cool... you're looking for an all season? i'd check out the reviews at tirerack.com ... they have been helpful for me in the past. i know someone with toyo proxes 4 tires and they seem to be a very good all season.
bryan

Gdog5752
09-22-2005, 07:45 PM
know off hand what the price range is on those?
And which retailers sell them?

thewake
09-22-2005, 08:59 PM
I have some Falken FK-451's that are 205/55R16 in size that worked well for my WRX. I could be convinced to part with them cheap, since they are no longer mounted.

ScoobyNubieToo!
09-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Get some BF Goodriches....they're the best tires I've ever hard on a car.

Little G
09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Try the new kumho ecsta's.. I just got a set for my evo and there awesome...They are only $86 a piece on tirerack....

alachua
09-22-2005, 10:51 PM
the new kumho's are supposed to be sweet...I have the 712's on the sti. They hold better than my Azenis ST115's, but they break away more suddently, where the ST115's would gradually lose traction. The Yokohama AVS100's are supposed to be awesome bang for the buck as well. Online is good, but look for a local place that does free mounting, it will usually be a better deal in teh end.

-Cliff

Little G
09-22-2005, 10:54 PM
There usually isn't a place that will mount them for free even if you order through the shop..Unless u know someone that works there..

Gdog5752
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
thankx for everyone's help. looks like I got a lot of comparing to do.

TROLL
09-23-2005, 04:14 AM
dont know where you're located but i have a guy up near me in langhorne that does mounting and balancing, and also alignments for real good prices if you need it.
bryan

TehWagon
09-23-2005, 08:20 AM
go on tirerack- they're the best for ratings and comparisons. i personally love my bf goodrich g-force sports- they are an awesome mid-priced tire for the performance and wear :thumbup:

mostasteless
09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
I run P-Zero M+S and I am quite happy with them. They out perform the RE 92's in the rain, dry, and dirt and are wearing very nicely. I haven't had any experience with them in the snow yet but if the reviews are correct I won't be dissapointed.

MuddyREX
09-23-2005, 10:53 AM
You can fit bigger tires on the stock rims. 225/50/16s fit on the stock rims and give you a bigger contact patch on the road. No rubbing issues or any problems.

Chair-Force
09-23-2005, 01:33 PM
I appreciate your offer. I actually know those tires. I worked at firestone for 5 years and we sold them. They are a decent tire but I don't think they would be very good for a WRX.
Which firestone did you work at? I used to work at the Trooper store and my good friend works at the Abington store.

And yea, Lemans are pretty shatty tires, heh.

Gdog5752
09-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Which firestone did you work at? I used to work at the Trooper store and my good friend works at the Abington store.

And yea, Lemans are pretty shatty tires, heh.

I worked at one in Daytona Beach FL. for 4 years while I was going to school. Worked at the Oxford Valley store for a summer while I was home also.
I'm glad to hear about the bigger tires also. So you're sure there is no rubbing issue with stock rims and stock suspension?

mostasteless
09-23-2005, 05:42 PM
None at all. I have bigger tires and am lowered and their is plenty of room.

MuddyREX
09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm glad to hear about the bigger tires also. So you're sure there is no rubbing issue with stock rims and stock suspension?

Stock suspension will be fine. I've got the 225/50/16s on my stock wheels, and it fit fine when I had the stock suspension on. I've since upgraded to STi suspension, and it still fits fine even though it's a little bit lower. Trust me, you'll be fine. And the extra width makes a noticable difference in grip.

I think I paid 3 dollars more per tire for the wider size. You'd be crazy to keep the stock width.

the mike
09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I am assuming you are looking for an all season tire? I am a non Allseason guy, so my help is limited...