PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Day Road Racing School = BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!!!!

DPancoast
05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
So, as some people know, today was my 21st birthday. Most would ask how wasted I got, or how much booze I was gifted. Well... I got a bottle of Champagne... and didn't get drunk.

But what's better than that you say? Well my dad and family got me a paid 1/2 day session with Bertil Roos Racing School to race a Formula 2000 car!!!! Locally they give me the choice of either Pocono Raceway, or the new (if you want to call it that...we'll say finally open for 08') Englishtown Road Course!!

I'm still up in the air. Being that I love windy roads and speed, I am leaning towards the Englishtown Course because I believe it has more turns than Pocono.... but at the same time, Pocono would give me the chance to really hone in the "catch up on the turns" mentality of a longer more oval like track.

Has anyone ever done anything similar to this? I mean it seems pretty cool with the class first, driving a street car with an instructor second (I think it's a turbo Volvo) and then getting out on the track in the open wheel car for 2 20 min sessions (approx 30 laps total).

Anyway, I'm SUPER SIKED!!! They record you racing (plus my dad will have the video camera and like EVERYONE should be there to watch haha). After an awesome bday weekend with some super fun back road driving (sidenote, I <3 my new budget suspension!!!) this is the best gift ever!!!

WOOT!

frosti108
05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
dude thats fukkin awesome. happy bday.

i wish my fam would do that for my 21st coming up. but ill probly just get a $50 gift card to pep boys :/

TROLL
05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
damn, i just had my bday and i didnt get anything like that but it really does sound like an amazing way to spend the bday... i should just buy one for myself.

SovXietday
05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Dan I'm pretty sure you're not going to run on the tri-oval if you go to pocono lol.

Congrats man, I wish I got something like that.

DPancoast
05-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Hmmm, good point. That is my over excitement kicking in I suppose!

Troll, the prices for 1/2 day are:

AM/PM @ Pocono or Englishtown: $495/$525

I know because my dad left that price sheet in the folder lol.

sisforsurfing
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I literally just closed a window full of research on doing a driving school by this fall. That's cool, those Formula 2000 cars are awesome.

I don't think Bertil Roos does anything at Englishtown... I'd look into NJ Motorsports Park, they'll be doing a weekend there at the end of July. Plus it'd be a great chance to be the first person you know out on that track.

edit; They're doing the half days there on August 10th... tempting.

DPancoast
05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah, it's going to come up quick. I'll decide this week no doubt.

Nors
05-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Wow today is my Bday and haven't got anything yet, but its probably safe to assume there will be no track days coming haha

jen.
05-27-2008, 12:21 AM
i can't wait to see this!

Zillon
05-27-2008, 01:49 AM
My dad did a day of Racing School with Bertil Roos a few years back up at Nazareth in their F2000 cars.

He had a blast, either way you do it, you won't walk away disappointed. And yes, you'll be taking some Volvos out before the F2000's. :-p

alwaysinboost
05-28-2008, 07:48 AM
me = jealous

if this is your first event then Pocono is a good choice depending on which configuration they're running. lots of run off and not too many turns so you will really be able to focus on the basics. if you have a couple days under your belt already then I would do the etown road course as it should be more challanging but you might not 'learn' as much because there will be a lot more going on at one time.

K9_Eclipse
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
me = jealous

Man that rocks,.. my B-day is commin' up in a few weeks, I should drop that hint off to the wifey....

DPancoast
05-28-2008, 08:33 AM
me = jealous

if this is your first event then Pocono is a good choice depending on which configuration they're running. lots of run off and not too many turns so you will really be able to focus on the basics. if you have a couple days under your belt already then I would do the etown road course as it should be more challanging but you might not 'learn' as much because there will be a lot more going on at one time.

This will be my first road course. I haven't ever participated in anything like this before.... Closest being backroad drivng haha. Thanks for the heads up though, it really helps to have opinions.

alwaysinboost
05-28-2008, 09:04 AM
I should edit my post, I said ETOWN road course but I meant the new NJMSP, or whatever its being called.

You really can't go wrong with either track so its a win win situation. just go there with an open mind, listen to what your instructor tells you, and you will have a blast.

DPancoast
05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh ok i gotcha...I have full intentions of listening carefully. I have been assuming a lot when it comes to knowing how to take turns and stuff.This will help a ton.

Charged SVTF
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
super jealous dan....that kicks ass

DPancoast
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
oh yes. So while still fresh in my brain, this was funnest day EVER.

If you want a good present for whenever, get this. Its $495 for the am session and $525 for the pm. Its AWESOME. The class is very informative, and your instruction to car time is great because if you're like me, you do better actually trying the car out than listening and having to think about it with no hands on.

Check out my pics that my gf jen. took HERE! (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/pancoast_dan/Bertil%20Roos/)

Annnnd, here's my car through the Lehigh Tunnel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAPIS06uo8M) on the way up :)