PDA

View Full Version : Honda guys, any one help me out with some ?????

eslhockey92g
04-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey guys, i looked and didn't see much on here so im hoping its not a talked about topic

I have a 97 blazer, its gonna need the front diff, both front hubs and both axle replaced most likely. For a car that gets 10/15 MPG im just about done. I have less than 3 semmester of college and i want to pick somthing up to last me a few years. I live in telford and go to IUP(by pittsburg) so just getting to school cost about 100 bux in gas.

I was looking in to getting a civic or an integra. I know they are stong and reliable but i don't wanna spend really much more than 5 grand. I REALLLLLY want the 1999-2000 SI (ive always love that style) but there a little pricey.

What type of problems do people run in to when they have 100,000+ miles on them. I sure the drivetrain are fine as long as you dont beat them up, im seeing if there are electronic issues, brakes, seals things like that.

Last question i had was i know people swap motors for the tunning side, but i wanted to know about the reliabilty of swaps. If needed im fine with getting a shell or a high milage honda/acura and swaping a strong inexpensive motor in it. I know civics aren't known for positing HUGE stock HP numbers but i think id just get pissed with the crappy motor with 100 HP.

Sorry for the length ive been looking and found a few possiblites, but if any one has any input please post

97TurboDSM
04-30-2008, 06:32 PM
you really cant go wrong with any honda/honda swap. if you want a swap, get a 92-95 hatchback and swap in a b-series motor. my buddy had a hatch with an ls/vtec swap and it was a beast. another buddy of mine has an ls/vtec DA integra and that lil ****er is quick too. only general maint. should be required at 100k+ you can drive honda's through a wall and they'll come out runnin. i had a civic and i miss that car.

SovXietday
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Common Honda problems with 100K or more.

-Mainshaft bearing in the transmissions are all shot
-Suspension bushings are probably hurting
-May or may not have a lot of time on the stock springs, they like to rust out

Other than that there are really no "chronic" problems with Hondas... and the problems that are there aren't really anything to even worry about.

Swapped Honda's are one of two things.

1)Just as reliable as a stock integra. Afterall, the swap didn't change anything about the engine.
2)A friggen nightmare and a half. I don't know how you mess up a Bseries swap, but people do.

Swapping a Honda goes along with just about everything else in the car world. You get out what you put in. If you start cheaping out on stuff ****'s going to break.

speedooo
04-30-2008, 07:44 PM
My old eg hatch had 220k+miles on it before i swapped the motor. it ran like a champ, clutch was still good, the motor didnt burn any oil and i put the trans into another 1 of my cars. Hows that for reliability?

If youre willing to do some work, heres another route to take. I bought a $200 94 civic dx coupe shell, bought a motor for $140, bought a clutch for $100, i already had a trans, picked up some coilovers, swapped the brakes and for a total of $1200 i have a running car that gets me 35mpg and is completely reliable. If youre willing to do some work I would reccomend going that route.

SovXietday
04-30-2008, 07:45 PM
^ Haha, I could damn near build a car from scratch with all of the damn parts I have right now. Yeesh.

jdm free
04-30-2008, 07:48 PM
If youre willing to do some work, heres another route to take. I bought a $200 94 civic dx coupe shell, bought a motor for $140, bought a clutch for $100, i already had a trans, picked up some coilovers, swapped the brakes and for a total of $1200 i have a running car that gets me 35mpg and is completely reliable. If youre willing to do some work I would reccomend going that route.

i was going to say the same thing.

if u want an si just pick up a coupe and swap a b16 in it, get the lip and wing n u have the same thing. i see si clones all the time on h-t and they are no more than 5 grand

TommyBDragon
04-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Another big issue with older cars is since they may have also spent alot of time on stock struts in the rear, that lower bolt likes to seize to the metal insert on the LCA's. So if they have been there for a while, might wanna just get new LCA's while your at the store. Saves you a headache and time.

I have a 93 Si with the original motor in the car, just about to tick over 150K. The front suspension bushings have been replaced, oddly enough I had to replace the brake master cyl and booster, and 2 calipers. Didnt cost that much actually. All in all with 4 new calipers, rotors, brakes and the BMC and booster, it was only about 500 bucks in total.

It does burn a bit of oil, but very very small amounts (maybe 1/4 of a quart in 5K miles) and no thick smoke out the back end at all. Its really just basic maint. stuff you need to watch out for. If you throw in preventative maint. measures, you will have a very reliable car. And I get 30-40mpg depending on if I drive like a nutcase vs normal person. So yeah very friendly at the gas station.

speedooo
04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
lol thats pretty much what i did

eslhockey92g
04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all the quick input guys

Yea i don't have any problem doing my own work, for the most part i know what im doing (owning a blazer one will become a mechanic by default haha) as far as small stuff is concerned. Id leave motor swaps to some one who knows that there doing on that one. I also have a shop friend so i have a lift if needed. I would prefer the 98/97+ civics (not sure of the style change). From what you guys said it does seem like there arnt too many hidden things with owning a civic. I guess i may try and see if i can find some intrest in my blazer(new motor/tranny). I would really be happy to find a 1999/2000 body and do swap and its just my budget will limit that. SO the search starts....

Any other info, ideas ,suggestions are welcome

eslhockey92g
04-30-2008, 07:58 PM
i was going to say the same thing.

if u want an si just pick up a coupe and swap a b16 in it, get the lip and wing n u have the same thing. i see si clones all the time on h-t and they are no more than 5 grand

Yea i like the INT of that style, more or less the knobs v/s the sliders for the air controls. Id be really happy if i could do that.

SovXietday
04-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the quick input guys

Yea i don't have any problem doing my own work, for the most part i know what im doing (owning a blazer one will become a mechanic by default haha) as far as small stuff is concerned. Id leave motor swaps to some one who knows that there doing on that one. I also have a shop friend so i have a lift if needed. I would prefer the 98/97+ civics (not sure of the style change). From what you guys said it does seem like there arnt too many hidden things with owning a civic. I guess i may try and see if i can find some intrest in my blazer(new motor/tranny). I would really be happy to find a 1999/2000 body and do swap and its just my budget will limit that. SO the search starts....

Any other info, ideas ,suggestions are welcome

99-00 will be harder to find under 5K as they are the "sought after" cars moreso.

However, Honda's aren't hard to find deals on. Anything 96-00 will be similar bodystyle and you can always convert to 99-00 bodystyle like I did if you pick up something older than a 99.:)

eslhockey92g
04-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Yea i slowly figured that out, when i say i want the 99 style, i do. But i understand cars and that when doing somthing like this unless higher budget there WILL be some compromising.

im not gonna do though the hassle of converting things, i tried with my blazer many things and its very nice. but the hassle for little things no one notices itsn't worth it at time. The only reason id convert things is if it was somthing easy and cheap. but that all depends, i didn't get bit but the "honda/jdm" bug yet haha at this points its only a matter of time

speedooo
04-30-2008, 08:33 PM
the honda bug is like aids

SovXietday
04-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Yea i slowly figured that out, when i say i want the 99 style, i do. But i understand cars and that when doing somthing like this unless higher budget there WILL be some compromising.

im not gonna do though the hassle of converting things, i tried with my blazer many things and its very nice. but the hassle for little things no one notices itsn't worth it at time. The only reason id convert things is if it was somthing easy and cheap. but that all depends, i didn't get bit but the "honda/jdm" bug yet haha at this points its only a matter of time

All of the interior parts are easy to swap too. They literally just bolt right in. :cool:

My interior is there only because I'm far too lazy to take it out though, so it's a little different lol.

DC2.2GSR
04-30-2008, 08:53 PM
What i've come to realize is that DC Integras are (in my opinion) a much better platform to start with, as long as you like the body style. with a civic, you start out with the most basic of the basic unless you buy an 92-95 EX coupe or an Si hatchback. no rear sway bar on any except the Si, no power options, etc etc. Buy even the most basic 94-01 Integra and you are provided with the added comforts. for me, I bought the GSR shell from a guy on this forum, bought an H22A full swap, bought the parts to make it work, will paint the car at work, and i'll be able to buy all the desired upgrade parts all for the same price as a low milage great condition stock GSR.

basically it's all up to you as far as how much effort you want to spend on your car. for $5000 you can put together a damn nice car, so make sure to keep going on the research and figure out exactly the car you want to build, and do it right the first time.

dragonfly2k3
04-30-2008, 09:01 PM
the honda bug is like aids

unfortunately. My hatch isnt even gone yet and im looking for another one. The cars are awesome, i just seem to be cursed. My B swap has more stupid electrical problems than any other car ever, and idk why. All of the wires are work-hardened and cracking, its wierd. Either way, the cars rock.

eslhockey92g
04-30-2008, 10:37 PM
i like the integra looks alot, very sharp lines. in no means im set on a civic, just easier to type 8 times in a post haha. All i really care is basic power options and a sunroof would be nice(never had a car that had an option for one). as for the body of the civics i like the front end of the 99 style, i really don't like the 95 style, but again just prefrences and if the right one is there im sold.

As far has bubbles are concernes im not really a fan, when done right they look nice, but just not really a fan so im set on it being a coupe.

With looking towards tegras and civics, are there models aside from GSR/SI that i should try and get over other models? OR a model to stay away from?

DownforceTom
04-30-2008, 10:44 PM
96-00 Civic Hx will get you ridiculously good mileage at the cost of being really slow. You can get a Dx or Lx and still miss out on the power options so bear that in mind. Stick with Ex or Si in Civic trim if you want that stuff. Integras are all pretty optioned out on the same trim levels IIRC. Gsr's got the better engines, but now we're probably out of your price range anyway.

My sister has a 94 integra Ls with 190,xxx miles on it and it runs perfect. Don't let high miles scare you with these things.

dragonfly2k3
04-30-2008, 11:41 PM
you can also get a 92-95 vx for amazing mileage. I would probably get a teg though if i were you, i love tegs. I miss mine, alot.

eslhockey92g
05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
well i put the blazer for sale in a couple of spots, one being here. i found a few places close, with some clean civics. Kinda tough to find integras that are manual and not beat to ****. so the search is on............

eslhockey92g
05-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Tranny questions.....

I know the motors wether its acura/honda run. how do the trannys hold up. ive been looking at the black teg forsale on here and i like it alot. generally are they any type of non-motor drivetrain issues with 100k+ cars? Also is there a stronger drivetrain in differnt models?

SovXietday
05-02-2008, 04:26 PM
If it's an auto, just stay away.

If it's a manual, it probably has a bad mainshaft bearing. It isn't really a problem, it's just a dull grinding noise that you can hear if you listen for it.

Other than that it may grind 2nd gear, but that will probably be about the extent of it as far as transmissions on Honda's go.

eslhockey92g
05-02-2008, 04:28 PM
automatic was never an option haha

TurboGSR96
05-02-2008, 05:38 PM
After 100k miles, as an addition to what I already read

1. Timing Belt (crucial!)
2. Water Pump
3. Timing Belt Tensioner
4. Motor Mounts
5. Wheel Bearings

thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

grimm
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I had over 220k miles on my civic when i sold it. not a spot of rust. granted i went thru 2 trannies an 1 engine, but i didn't baby the car at ALL.

i want another honda.

92dxman
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I had a 92 dx hatch that I sold @215k miles and was with a toasted radiator and a blown head gasket. It still ran like a champ even with those two minor problems. You do have to watch for rear quarter panel rust as well. I usually averaged near 40 mpg and that was beating on it sometimes too. I even hit 50 mpg on a trip one time. Suspension parts are cheap as well. I scored an Integra front sway bar and lower control arms for $70 and also a set of Kyb Agx's for $325 out the door.

IdriveBad
05-03-2008, 11:47 PM
The rear quarter rust is from those ****ty plastic covers that line the wheel wells. We pulled them off on my coupe luckily just in time. I only have a dime sized spot of surface rust on each side, but it isn't even noticable. Mine has like 152k on it and runs like a champ.

DownforceTom
05-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Any updates?

IemShamus
05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Thought I might chime in here although my Honda knowledge is nowhere near most of the members on here.
I threw my WRX up for sale on Craigslist with a high asking price and ended up with 11k and an 00 Civic EX.

The Civic needed some work but I ASSumed I'd easily be able to source the parts in a junkyard. According to the 15 or so yards that I've called, I got a 'tough year' for parts. I find myself buying more and more new, genuine Honda parts (mainly interior since the previous owner didn't understand the concept of clips and broke them ALL).

Anyway, I just figured I'd give you a heads up in case a 99-00 caught your eye.

na is best!
05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Save your money, dont go buying a shell it is a loose loose situation, it is hard to find a GOOD, CLEAN, COMPLETE shell.. most likey if you do find one it will need 1000 lil bull**** pieces, **** will be broken or missing, the body isnt goin to be as clean as you would like it, nothing but problems, and if you happen to find a mint decent shell, they are gonna want too much money.

The route to go with hondas, especially begginers is take ur time, do stuff right. First find yourself a nice clean good running car. A 00 civic Si would be a great find. if not try and get a 00 ex civic. they can be had for under 5k. Motor is a decent motr, great pickup and top end. I mean this car isnt for racing is it?? just something to get to school/work with and have some fun with.

Get something running and avoid the headaches. 2000 Civic EX and play with that untill you are bored and ready for a swap, but in the meantime there is TONS of stuff you can do to the car, suspension, wheels, jdm goodies, interior, exhaust, ecu..etc.. Then when you are ready to make a move and got some money find yourself a b,h, or k series swap and swap away. It is less stressfull this way

Dont go buying a $200 shell and a $200 motor, that guy got lucky, but i gaurentee you you wont be, especially being your first time with hondas, they have a curse, something ALWAYS goes wrong.

my advice get a running car, spend a couple extra dollars now and save yourself from breakin down somewhere, tow truck fees, headaches tryna figure **** out, and searching the junkyards through al lthe stripped civics to find what you need. I say a 00 civic EX or a DC integra

Good Luck!!

JDM-Honda-Kid
05-24-2008, 09:25 PM
100k miles lol on a honda motor is nothing just change the oil on time and get that **** a tune up great gas mileage

h22sleeper14
07-10-2008, 06:15 PM
93 accord coupe with h22 for sale if intrested