PDA

View Full Version : Noise when I turn the wheel fully to either side

Ender81
04-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Ok when I turn my wheel all the way to the right or left and move there is a knocking noise. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I am thinking it could be the CV joint but I'm not sure. Oh yeah it's an 02 wrx 106K on it.

Erik
04-29-2008, 07:34 AM
i was going to say CV joints. I had the same problem on two other cars. haha. may sound dumb, but is your tire hitting your splash guard?

twastheglow
04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
I have the same exact problem...however, my car is rear wheel drive. No one can tell me what it is either. :mad:
*mike*

TROLL
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
depending on the noise its making it could also be that your power steering fluid needs to be flushed...

i like rice
04-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I have the same exact problem...however, my car is rear wheel drive. No one can tell me what it is either. :mad:
*mike*

sway bar end links hitting your shock spring perch?

twastheglow
04-29-2008, 08:28 PM
^ No, I checked that. :(
*mike*

twastheglow
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
PS...I've had the same "set up" for the last 2 years and NOW all the sudden it's acting up. Who really knows why?
*mike*

Erik
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
well how rusted is it under there? have you had any impact from potholes, curbs, anything?

twastheglow
04-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Actually, the car has literally zero rust. Nope. No impacts...nothing. I even sucked it up and took it somewhere to have them put it up on a lift and take a look at everything and no signs of anything. No signs of rubbing, wear, nothing. It makes the clunking noise at the speed of the wheel. As the speed increases, so does the "clunk". I honestly think it has to do with my pads/calipers. One of the 2 fronts are wicked warped so I'm going to redo the fronts this week and see if that helps.
*mike*

Ender81
04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
LMAO twastheglow glad I could start this thread for you hahaha It looks like my issue was my rear brake pads sticking and causing my diff to lock up (for lack of a more detailed description). I changed them a few days before the run but didn't change the rotors, well it looks like between the heat and such they shifted and the first time I went in reverse that day this happened. I am still going to take it over to Area1320 t get it checked when I have a chance so if I am wrong I will post up. On the bright side it hasn't made this noise since then.

PaleDSM
04-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Checked the condition of the wheel bearings? Checked the tie rod ends for excessive slop?

twastheglow
04-30-2008, 09:37 AM
LMAO twastheglow glad I could start this thread for you hahaha It looks like my issue was my rear brake pads sticking and causing my diff to lock up (for lack of a more detailed description). I changed them a few days before the run but didn't change the rotors, well it looks like between the heat and such they shifted and the first time I went in reverse that day this happened. I am still going to take it over to Area1320 t get it checked when I have a chance so if I am wrong I will post up. On the bright side it hasn't made this noise since then.

I'm sorry dude...that was dick of me. On a side note, I'm glad you got it figured out. I actually think it's my brakes too for some reason. I have at least 1 rotor quite warped, so the fronts need to be changed anyway. The noise increases speed as the car does so it has to be something rotating. The wheel shows no wear nor does any of the suspension components. Damn thing's pissing me off!
*mike*

twastheglow
04-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Tie rods are good. Wheel bearings are new (within last year and a half). I had to buy new 5 lug hubs to switch the car over to 5 lug.

Ender81
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry dude...that was dick of me. On a side note, I'm glad you got it figured out. I actually think it's my brakes too for some reason. I have at least 1 rotor quite warped, so the fronts need to be changed anyway. The noise increases speed as the car does so it has to be something rotating. The wheel shows no where nor does any of the suspension components. Damn thing's pissing me off!
*mike*

Don't even give it a second thought I was just joking. I didn't know the brakes could cause such a nasty sound from my car haha. Sounds like your next step is to check them out.

twastheglow
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
PS...it happens primarily only when turning the wheel to the right. And it doesn't happen all the time. :(
*mike*

OMGz Turbo
05-01-2008, 07:25 AM
My passenger side axle is going, it clicks if you will. lol

broski
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
my old camaro did the same thing, only went turning the wheel super sharp at low speeds, i hear a annoying knocking, rumble.

speifer
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
I had a torn cv joint boot in my Celica and after awhile the joint started making a nasty clicking (knocking) noise when the wheels were turned all the way to one side. I think that torn boots are probably the most common cause of damaged cv joints; they are pretty easy to inspect, so check them out just to rule it out as a possibility. Sounds like some of the comments above may be related to a cv joint problem.

Ender81
05-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Well ruled out the passenger side as a problem, I did replace the axle on that side (thanks Ryan). Found out I do have a blown strut on the driver side but I still here a rythmic sound on the driver side when I slow down and make a left turn. So I am going to have Ryan check the bearing on that side and replace the axle. I know it might just be blowing my money but it would be good piece of mind since it's the only car I have.

Ender81
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
UPDATE:
Broken rim was the cause of all the issues.

ScoobyNubieToo!
05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Wow....how did ya miss that? Well, glad ya found it!

Ender81
05-29-2008, 06:32 AM
I had a set of Rota Subzeros and one of the spokes broke at the base and it stayed pretty flush. Didn't know until 7 of the ten spokes broke at once. Pics up later lol

05OCsrt-4
05-29-2008, 06:41 AM
good job u found it, and it sounds like the rim is still intact so no accident :)

Ender81
05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
no accident but it was scary as hell hahaha.

speifer
05-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Post some pics! I didn't get to see it Tuesday, but Ben said it was pretty impressive.

Ender81
05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
When I get a chance with a better camera then my phone I will post them. I have to send them off to Rota also.

Honest_Bob
05-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Its ****ing scary. I know I wont be buying any rotas in the future.

RyanG
05-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Its ****ing scary. I know I wont be buying any rotas in the future.

and hooooooooooooooow many times have I said Rotas are junk??

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8463/rotaposterkq9.jpg
http://og-made.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/rotamotivation.jpg[/

russiankid
05-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Late to the thread, but my car also had this issue. It would happen when turning to the left, and it got very aggravating. I thought it was something in the rack but it is new, so I ended up re-greasing my tie rod ends and everything went away.

Chair-Force
06-02-2008, 03:45 AM
i had the same issue in my old bugeye and it turned out to be a pwned vicious coupling.
good thing it was just a wheel though. vc cost a bit to replaced.

BlkWhtTSI
06-03-2008, 07:17 AM
this is the sound i hear right before my axle broke and my bearings ripped. that happened at 60 mph and let me tell you my brake rotor got pwned!