PDA

View Full Version : Help installing brake pads and rotors tomorrow

martang
04-22-2008, 01:37 AM
So I should be getting new front pads and rotors tomorrow and my friend that was gonna help me is sick. Anyone local wanna help?? I'll provide anything from pizza hut you want. I know my way decently around my car but I've never done brakes and I don't want to try them on my own.

Jeffros Spec V
04-22-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't have any time tomorrow but usuaually its two bolts that hold the entire caliper on (don't undo the brake line in anyway) pull the caliper off the rotor. The rotor will probably be rusted to the hub so give it a few whacks with a blunt object.

Now you'll have to use something to push the piston back since you'll be putting new (read. thicker) pads in. Use a c-clamp and the old pad and crank down until the piston sits flush.

Reinstall and then foloow proper bedding instructions.

martang
04-22-2008, 02:40 AM
I don't have any time tomorrow but usuaually its two bolts that hold the entire caliper on (don't undo the brake line in anyway) pull the caliper off the rotor. The rotor will probably be rusted to the hub so give it a few whacks with a blunt object.

Now you'll have to use something to push the piston back since you'll be putting new (read. thicker) pads in. Use a c-clamp and the old pad and crank down until the piston sits flush.

Reinstall and then foloow proper bedding instructions.

If I can't get any help I'll just manage to do it myself but having someone help that knows what they are doing would be a plus

Erik
04-22-2008, 06:39 AM
andddd 2 people would be nice for bleeding. unless you vacuum bleed them.

i just did this about 2 months ago. its not as hard as it seems. those two bolts required allen wrenches for me, i dont know if thats on all cars, so you may run into that (only because it seems like no one has allen wrenches for some reason). do you know how to bleed brakes?

zerioustt
04-22-2008, 08:26 AM
andddd 2 people would be nice for bleeding. unless you vacuum bleed them.

i just did this about 2 months ago. its not as hard as it seems. those two bolts required allen wrenches for me, i dont know if thats on all cars, so you may run into that (only because it seems like no one has allen wrenches for some reason). do you know how to bleed brakes?

He is doing pads and rotors there is 0 need for bleeding the brakes.

Nazareth sounds far from nj...lol. If it was closer I'd lend you a hand.

marshallpre1
04-22-2008, 09:10 AM

yep no need to bleed... whoa that rhymes! It's a pretty easy job, you should be good :)

Loserkidwac
04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Hmm...if you were a little closer I'd consider it but not sure if I would be free tonight...I have to throw some new pads and rotors on the front of the civic so I could give you a hand on your car and you could on mine...what car you changing brakes on?

martang
04-22-2008, 11:08 AM

It's actually only 15 min away from north jersey

Hmm...if you were a little closer I'd consider it but not sure if I would be free tonight...I have to throw some new pads and rotors on the front of the civic so I could give you a hand on your car and you could on mine...what car you changing brakes on?

I'm changing them on my celica

JPolito830
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
If I wasnt a few hours away I would...sorry man

martang
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
If I wasnt a few hours away I would...sorry man

Thanks anyways, UPS just delivered them so I'm going out to do them now if anyone still wants to help just message me or something I'll have my laptop with me or call me 610-392-2021

Erik
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
oh, oops for mis informing you. i just needed to bleed my brakes when i did them cuz they where spongey as hell. plus i (for what ever reason) read all that as calipers. haha

martang
04-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Well I just got done changing them I'm about to go out and bed them

lagos
04-22-2008, 05:37 PM
see, its easy!

Erik
04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
yeaaaaa grats!