PDA

View Full Version : Just installed Hella 500s... and they are sick!

TROLL
09-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks to Barry, Ivan, Anthony, and Fred who put forth varying degrees of time and effort yesterday (but effort nonetheless) with my Hella 500 install. I pulled the stock fog lights off the car and put these in their place, wiring them so that when armed by my stock fog light switch, they will go on with the high beams and the high beams only.
You can check the crappy camera phone pics below, but lets just say that these lights make my lows and even my highs seem almost completely useless. I read some reviews on these and heard good things, but I'm shocked at how incredibly bright they really are. I might want to aim them slightly lower, but the adjustment is maxed out as is so I'll have to go in and modify the bracket slightly to get them any lower.
Anyways, on with the pics... (better photos coming soon). They are HID low beams, high beams, then high beams and 500s.
Bryan

MuddyREX
09-13-2005, 01:12 AM
I boght theese today!!!!!

TROLL
09-13-2005, 01:14 AM
driving lights or fogs? i love them very much so far. did you get brackets for them or were you planning to make some? now that i did all of the test fitting back and forth and back and forth i could help you make some very easily from home depot for $2.25.
bryan

MuddyREX
09-13-2005, 01:23 AM
not sure what im going to install them. I dont want to use them as prelacements to the srockers. I wanr to ise them in addition to the stocjers. Where did you mount them?

S4toSTI
09-13-2005, 01:39 AM
not sure what im going to install them. I dont want to use them as prelacements to the srockers. I wanr to ise them in addition to the stocjers. Where did you mount them?
And people say i am bad at typing...
Sweet for both of u i want fogs.

TROLL
09-13-2005, 01:53 AM
oh i thought my stock fogs were pretty useless so i mounted mine right there... looks very unassuming until i turn them on :).
i've seen some installs basically in front of the grill in between the headlights... most guys fabricate brackets that bolt in through the grill to do it that way.
bryan

MuddyREX
09-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm probably going to mount them somewhere there. I was looking at it yesterday trying to figure out how to do it, but haven't gotten any good solutions yet. How tough was the wiring?

And people say i am bad at typing...
Sweet for both of u i want fogs.

Chillax man. I wasn't as good of a drunk typer as I though I was.

thewake
09-13-2005, 09:57 AM
I have Hella FF50 (small oval) driving lights on my WRX. They are mounted on brackets that pass through the grill. They are small and light enough that the single bolt and the tension from the grill hold them in place. I don't have a photo with me though. The wiring took some work as the Hella instructions and my car switched opposite lines, but nothing too bad. I wired my lights to turn on with the high beams without an extra switch.

My brother has Hella 500's (driving pattern) on his DSM and they are great lights.

http://www.wakemen.com/rally/car1.jpg

S4toSTI
09-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Ps bryan don't forget fred cause at the end without him there would have been no driver side high beam.

teh DIRT
09-13-2005, 10:09 AM
someone find the pic of my lighting setup for my last rally.....now thats ingenious.!

MuddyREX
09-13-2005, 10:10 AM
someone find the pic of my lighting setup for my last rally.....now thats ingenious.!

Not all of us are lucky enough to have vents on our hood.

TROLL
09-13-2005, 10:10 AM
woops you're right... fixed.
i might make new brackets completely moving the mounting hole for the light about 1/8" up and 1/8" to the left to allow for a bit more freedom of movement, but regardless i need to spray them with some flat black paint cause those brackets shine right back at you right now, haha.
bryan

teh DIRT
09-13-2005, 10:19 AM
ahah i forgot that WRX's didnt have vents.

http://img222.echo.cx/img222/8809/subaruledfun2m4dx.jpg

this is what I'll be doing soon. i might put them a little lower

MuddyREX
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah. So I just looked at the wiring diagram. I'm screwed.

Who wants to help me wire and find a creative mounting solution for these suckers?

teh DIRT
09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
haha. dude just wire them to a switch.....thats what mine are on.

TROLL
09-13-2005, 02:49 PM
i wired mine so that they are 'armed' with the stock fog switch but they will only actually turn on when i put on my high beams. works perfectly really. it wasnt too bad and i'd be happy to help with yours if you'd like.
there is one glitch because i previously did the foglight mod so if i have them armed the hellas actually go on with the lights off and the parking lights (when the e-brake is down) as well as with the high beams, but i'm going to be fixing that soon by reversing my 'foglight mod' from a year ago or so.
bryan

MuddyREX
09-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Yeah, maybe I'll take you guys up on that. I am completely not confident that I can do this correctly. Give me wrenches, and I am ok. Give me wires to splice and I'll screw it up.