PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove rotted bolts

Spooly-T
09-12-2005, 03:44 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~spooly-t/NEW/Rotbolt.JPG

Bolt and flange has became one... Suckers wont budge..

sockets kept slipping off the bolt... They should be metric, but seem to be more standard sizes, further, those two bolts seems to be different sizes also..

A friend suggested heating them up w/ torch. Would that work?

TROLL
09-12-2005, 04:31 AM
use PB blaster or whatever its called and let it soak for at least a half hour or so before giving it another shot. the torch thing is only good if you can heat up the flange and keep the bolt cool... the heat will make the flange expand and help the bolt to come out easier.
whatever socket you use, make sure it is very snug so you dont round off the head of the bolt and create an entirely new problem.
good luck!
bryan

Spooly-T
09-12-2005, 05:23 AM
I was wrestling with the differential all nite and that pretty much drained me. My neck was killing me!! I'm gonna give it another shot in the afternoon.

The last bolt that is holding the diff in, is being block by cat-back so it was little frustrating to have to stop the progress.

The torch thing might work for Locktite'ed bolts, maybe not in this situation.

I think it's time to invest in some air tools too...

JoeScooby
09-12-2005, 05:27 AM
While taking off my mid pipe I enjoyed the company of a seized bolt. I tried PB blaster, wd40, torch, impact wrench. Took me about 5 hours and all I had was a busted up hand. My pops came up to me and said, "Oh, I have a rotozip" 2 seconds to grind it apart. I went out and baught one that day. Not to expensive, comes in real handy. Wont help you very much, but you can pick up some cheap air tools from walmart though.

Spooly-T
09-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Did you grind off the bolt? Cut the pipe off? or grind the rot off the flange/bolt?

JoeScooby
09-12-2005, 05:57 AM
didnt write that... duh. I grinded the bolt off then sliped the pipe out.

the mike
09-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately cutting the bolt off is usually the easiest(and sometimes the only) way.

I bought a cheap cut off wheel at Home Depot, but you could use a grinder with a 4.5" wheel.

SexyDSM95
09-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Did you guys totally forget about leverage? A.K.A. a nice 6ft pipe to put on the end of a 1/2" ratchet (or a breaker bar)? If soaking it with PB Blast doesn't work along with a torch and some leverage then I would suggest cutting it.

teh DIRT
09-12-2005, 10:14 AM
leverage doesnt exist under a car.

sisforsurfing
09-12-2005, 10:19 AM
whatever socket you use, make sure it is very snug so you dont round off the head of the bolt and create an entirely new problem.
I did that on mine, no fun. So it's time for the Sawzall, that's the only recomendation I have if it's being really difficult.

the mike
09-12-2005, 10:43 AM
You might also be able to hammer on a socket that is "just too small" to get it to fit without slipping.

Save yourself the headache though and grind/cut it.

FeeJ
09-12-2005, 12:07 PM

it does with the biggest breaker bar you can fit and a heavy sledge hammer :lol:

2point4DSM
09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Just about every exhaust shop will put a cutting torch to it and melt the bolt. I've tried, with varying success, using an air chisel, cutoff wheel, impact sockets with a strong gun, and sawzall.

One of these days I'm going to have to get a cutting torch....

SexyDSM95
09-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Wow....I officially de-nounce you as the TST mechanic...it sure as hell does! You just have to be creative about it.

I would also suggest using a 6pt socket instead of those crapsmans 12pt. The 6 pt will give you a better grip on the bolt while the 12 pt. may strip it. I found this out the hard way on my brake calipers :cry:

teh DIRT
09-13-2005, 12:34 PM
denounce all you want. when your under a lowered car while using a ****ty jack.....clearance doesnt exist. or when you working on parts around/above driveshafts and other things.
-pete

SexyDSM95
09-13-2005, 02:25 PM
....I know for a fact it does

Especially when pulling an axle and exhaust from a lowered GSX with the driveshaft, LSD, and the $20 PepBoys jack. Just have to be creative Petey Wetey.

Jeffros Spec V
09-13-2005, 04:57 PM
I would just put a torch on it and heat it up real real real good. Whoever said just the flange is wrong. Have you ever seen somebody just heat the flange? Heat everthing, as everything will expand and if you used WD40 it should come right out.

Using a 6 point socket is better than using a 12 point at this stage, and if you do round it off get yourself some craftsman stripped bolt remover, basically a socket with razor blades on it.

Chair-Force
09-16-2005, 02:02 AM
I would have just took an air wizard to it and cut away.