PDA

View Full Version : dowel pin cutting

dragonfly2k3
03-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Now, when the head is milled the dowels must be cut to seal. My question is, must they be cut the exact amount that the head was milled. I wouldnt see why they couldnt be cut more. The gasket forms a seal all around them and as long as your cutting is within reason(15-20 thous) for a .010 milled head. Am i wrong?

Danronian
04-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't see why it would matter if you cut off more than needed. Just grind a bit off them and you should be fine I'd think.

I know on my LS, I didnt even need to mess with the dowel pins, and I believe that was the 2nd HG done on that motor. But I guess if the head was cut a large amount, or if it was cut numerous times they would need to be trimmed eventually.

lude98SH
04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
i had mine done 0.004 and didnt touch mine. I know its small.

Im running head studs and with them technically why would you even need the dowl pins ? The gasket is lined up already.

Loserkidwac
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I've done a few HGs in Hondas(D and B series) and never had to mess with the dowels..how much was milled off the head? or did you use non oem dowels? I'd measure and see how much of the dowel is in the block and head and the see how long the dowels are and trim them to be less if they aren't already...

dragonfly2k3
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
i had .010 milled off in conjunction with whatever was milled before i got it, it was a moderately aggressive mill. The reason i want to use them even with the studs is because they also help to direct oil drain back. Im just gonna grind a decent amount off and go with it.

Danronian
04-10-2008, 12:51 AM
I believe I had .030 shaved off my LS head and had no issue (yeah, it was warped bad I was told...)

Good plan on grinding.

Gl!

na is best!
04-11-2008, 01:03 PM
what!?!?!?! you dont have to touch your dowel pins, this isnt something that needs to be a exact size, its job is to keep your head in place over the motor, especially when it lifts when running... when you mill a head it is so micro it really doesnt affect anything that much, its just to ensure a leveled surface... i say go take ur head to a machine shop and ask them, and if it is at one already and he is tellin u to cut the pins, take ur head outa there... I never heard this ever at all before, and i have had my fair share of heads cut..

dragonfly2k3
04-12-2008, 12:47 AM
i have deffinately heard of it several times before. Its not terribly un-common. You are correct, teh dowel pins do not need to be exact, but if they are too long they will cause a very small leak(what i have) for the entire length of the front of the black/head.

na is best!
04-12-2008, 05:57 PM
yea i guess, but i seriously doubt that you milled that excessively to cause the dowell pins to create a gap... either way good luck with everything!!!!

dragonfly2k3
04-13-2008, 10:42 PM
took em out, cut em about a 32nd of an inch and put em back in, problem solved. Im wondering if maybe the b16 has a tighter dowel tolerance than on the b18s?

Danronian
04-13-2008, 11:50 PM
took em out, cut em about a 32nd of an inch and put em back in, problem solved. Im wondering if maybe the b16 has a tighter dowel tolerance than on the b18s?

That could be. That or your head was cut a few times?

teh DIRT
04-14-2008, 12:00 AM
there is always a spec for head height. And before doing any cutting, its is smart to make sure the head is at original height. You might think you are withing spec by cutting 10 thous off but if it was cut 8 thous 5 years ago you just ruined your head.

dragonfly2k3
04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
there is always a spec for head height. And before doing any cutting, its is smart to make sure the head is at original height. You might think you are withing spec by cutting 10 thous off but if it was cut 8 thous 5 years ago you just ruined your head.

actually, for a b17 head, it would have had to be cut a total of 30 thous. Im pretty confident it wasnt cut 20 before me. That i know of it was only decked once before.