PDA

View Full Version : so i have to replace a turbo in a cx7...i hate being a mechanic

NOPSTNS
03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
about a month ago a cx7 came in and they complained of dark smoke (it is blue) coming from the exhaust. when u let it idle its fine, after a few mins of idling u romp on it and blue smoke pours out....yeah the turbos junk....turns out mazda knows of the problem and has updated turbos bc the seals blah blah blah who cares..i ordered a new turbo....onto the MESS that is turbo replacement.

first thing to know, it pays 4.2 hours under warranty, for those of u who dont understand warranty pay, its a fraction of the time u will actulaly spend on it.....4.2 hours is like 8 for me....not good.

its a whore.

its mounted by the firewall, u need to remove the TMIC, intake piping, battery and lower mounting cover, wiper arms, dash cowl, wiper motor, lower dash cowl, POWER TAKE OFF UNIT, Passenger side axle, both front wheels, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, alternator....

i could go on...

there are endless covers for heat all over the turbo and manifold, the o2 sensor in the warm up cat is bolted ina way that u need to remove the sensor in order to get off the cover, the cover blocks access to the bolts for the exhaust outlet off the turbo...

the 02 sensor;'s threads was stripped....

then trying to get it out i rounded off the sensor....not good....so i had to order a new sensor, and cat converter, and new cover bc i had to use a wizzer to cut off the cover....to access the nuts....which came out with the studs...

the hell continues but its dinner time...

thread will continue in 24 mins..
EDITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
anyway, im back so tot ake the PTO off u have to remove the cat, to take the cat off u have to remove its bolts, to take its bolts off u have to remove the cover to take the cover off u have to remove the 02 sensor....the snors broke on me

TurboTagTeam
03-31-2008, 06:36 PM
You think you have it bad? I'm replacing a wiring harness in a Z32 300zx Twin Turbo. Also sucks the big one.

NOPSTNS
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
i know u know this one...fuel line recall on FD rx7's....

replacing 32 of 35 vac hoses without breakinf 15 yr old solenoids...yeah not easy

zerioustt
03-31-2008, 07:17 PM
You think you have it bad? I'm replacing a wiring harness in a Z32 300zx Twin Turbo. Also sucks the big one.

can be done in about 4 hours with 2 guys and jack stands....not really that bad for having to remove engine, trans, exhaust, and drive shaft.

frank f warranty work!

pinacup7
03-31-2008, 08:08 PM
yea I hate warranty work... gotta love them cash tickets tho. Nothin like 5 hours to do front and rear brakes. I feel your pain tho, I had to do a cat on a rdx that bolts right to the turbo. Such a pita

SovXietday
03-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Couldn't take it out from the bottom instead?

dragonfly2k3
03-31-2008, 08:31 PM
that does suck the big one, but you're getting paid to do so.

SovXietday
03-31-2008, 09:06 PM
that does suck the big one, but you're getting paid to do so.

No, not really. He's only getting 4.2 hours to do the work and it will most definitely take him considerably longer.

dragonfly2k3
03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
See, i dont understand how that works. The factory can't force you to do the work and not get paid for it, could you not just deny the customer(of course that is the bad thing to do) However, if your prices are fair and your work was quality surely you could find customers who would pay for the full job to do instead?

Boosted08
03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
umm no working at a dealership customers will not pay extra if the factory says it can be done in 4.2 would you pay an extra 4 hours on a job when its 90$ an hour that 360 more of labor just because you feel like being nice?

TurboTagTeam
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
i know u know this one...fuel line recall on FD rx7's....

replacing 32 of 35 vac hoses without breakinf 15 yr old solenoids...yeah not easy

That's why I went single turbo and stainless steel fuel lines :mrgreen:

The "rats nest" is the single most horrible part in owning an FD.

dragonfly2k3
03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
If the job takes 9 hours it takes 9 hours. 4.2 hours would be the time it takes to complete the job on a brand new car assuming no problems. Everytime Ive ever gone to a shop you pay for the time it takes to do the job, not how long the manufacturer thinks it should take.

pinacup7
03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
If the job takes 9 hours it takes 9 hours. 4.2 hours would be the time it takes to complete the job on a brand new car assuming no problems. Everytime Ive ever gone to a shop you pay for the time it takes to do the job, not how long the manufacturer thinks it should take.

Its called flat rate.

Boosted08
03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
^^^^^^^
flat rate it is 4.2 is what it says 4.2 is what you get paid unless your service advisor argues you some more money

DonsGT1999
03-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes he's getting screwed because he's only getting paid for the 4.2 hours and he's only making 1/2 the money he SHOULD be making... Reason why I am no longer a mechanic

dragonfly2k3
03-31-2008, 11:57 PM
is there a way to avoid that? I assume this is only a problem at dealers? Also, when you work at a dealership that pays you on-the-clock hours and not wrench-in-hand hours, do you get screwed as well or does the dealer eat the loss? That seems like a really ****ty deal and surely not every job can be like that.

ThePrimerSuspect
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
is there a way to avoid that? I assume this is only a problem at dealers? Also, when you work at a dealership that pays you on-the-clock hours and not wrench-in-hand hours, do you get screwed as well or does the dealer eat the loss? That seems like a really ****ty deal and surely not every job can be like that.

flat rate sucks. plain and simple. actually, it doesnt always. cash work is good depending on the job. ill give you an example from when i was at honda. i used to masturbate to 96-00 civics. i had a list. it went like this.............

trailing arm bushings - 4.0 hours
lower ball joints - 4.0 hours
oil pan gasket - 3.5 hours
timing belt - 5.0 hours
90k service - 3.0 hours
4 wheel alignment 1.5 hours

and if i was lucky enough
4 tires - 1.6 hours
b-pipe and muffler - 1.5 hours
sway bar links - 1.0 hours

thats 25.1 hours that i could literally blow out before lunch time. sometimes i would even take 10-15 hours off just to get the job because it was still amazing money. the best i ever did was 16 hours on a 99 accord in an hour and a half.

but my problem was that certain people in the shop were getting all of these type of jobs, and i was getting all the warranty bull**** because they figured out that i was good at it. so if i had played dumb i would probably still be making great money.

before i left, i had this ****ing ridgeline with a waterleak that only happened when the car was parked at a specific angle. and this guys driveway happened to be at this exact angle. so it took me 3 months to find it, and about 2 weeks to actually fix it. because, what no one knew (not even the 2 ****ing engineers they sent out) was that water was supposed to come in everywhere i was seeing water, but there was a seam about a half inch long that wasnt properly welded that needed to be sealed.

but anyway, my point is that i ended up getting about 35 hours for it when i easily had over a hundred into it. not to mention all the money i lost because of the cars that i wasnt getting, and this was all during our busy season. so i did the math and i ended up losing about $10k last year just because of that truck. and the place i was working at didnt seem to see a problem with this and couldnt figure out why i was so upset.

sorry, i dont really know why i rambled on, and sorry for the threadjack. but dealerships suck. the entire automotive industry sucks and nothing in this world makes me happier, than to not be a tech anymore!!!!

pinacup7
04-01-2008, 07:31 AM
yea alignmnets and 1.6, 4 tires are 1.6 m+b, fr brakes 2.5, rr brakes 2.5 trans service is .4, air is .2. You get the idea

SovXietday
04-01-2008, 08:30 AM

Primer pretty much nailed it, each job is given a specific amount of time that it's rated at. Non-warranty work is almost always gold, as long as you can get it done quickly and faster than the time "allotted."

Warranty work however, is almost always cheaped out on by the dealership. So if you do a lot of warranty work you won't make hours, plain and simple. It sucks.

dragonfly2k3
04-01-2008, 09:04 AM
that warranty **** blows. I love those hours for the civics. You could literally knock out a timing belt in under 2.5hours on a single cam fron the time the car parks to the time it starts haha. Thats pretty sweet.

DonsGT1999
04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah it more or less depends on the car and mechanic whether you make money or lose money... I'd hate to be a BMW tech

amp
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
....turns out mazda knows of the problem and has updated turbos bc the seals blah blah blah who cares..

started with the speed6.. ill be on my third turbo.. ive had less trouble with the fds..

ThePrimerSuspect
04-01-2008, 09:52 PM
that warranty **** blows. I love those hours for the civics. You could literally knock out a timing belt in under 2.5hours on a single cam fron the time the car parks to the time it starts haha. Thats pretty sweet.

except this one time (i didnt get home from the bar til 6 am) and i was lead tech on a saturday. i put the tensioner pulley on backwards and smoked the belt. yeah, that car sat til monday. i was no good at going to work drunk.

edjconn
08-05-2017, 12:52 PM
is this everything you have to do to take the turbo off or is there more?

airfoxten
05-29-2021, 03:50 AM
Replacing a turbocharger can be challenging. Modern car engine bays are compact and many turbo units are fitted in confined spaces where tool use is difficult. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend engine removal to replace a turbocharger. nox player for pc (https://forpc.onl/nox-player-for-pc/) jiofi.local.html (https://jiofilocalhtml.run)

dervisvid
04-08-2022, 05:54 AM
There are also some practical advantages to upgrading your turbo – if you do a lot of towing or caravanning and are struggling for power then replacing your turbo can provide a great solution, giving you the additional pulling power you're after. vidmate apk download (https://get-vidmate.com/) insta downloader (https://instasave.onl/)

WaVet
01-12-2024, 12:49 PM
Replacing a turbocharger can indeed be a complex task, and the challenges vary based on the car's make and model. Have you considered seeking professional assistance or consulting with a mechanic to ensure a smooth and effective turbo replacement for your specific BMW x6?