PDA

View Full Version : Best dam lsvtec write up I ever read

driftingrx5.7
03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I read this a long time ago and i helped my buddy to build his lsvtec and his is still kicking today! it works and follow it step by step and you will have the lsvtec you want

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/build-reliable-ls-vtec-85477/

enjoy

CHR!S
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
and for the price of all of that, id rather just buy a gsr longblock

pearl
03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
a properly built LS/VTEC will make much more power than a GSR longblock.

420sx
03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
a properly built LS/VTEC will make much more power than a GSR longblock.

Comparing a built LSVTEC to a stock GSR is apple to oranges.

A proper comparison would be a built LS-VTEC versus a built GSR. Then, theyll make similar power, and the GSR will be cheaper and more reliable.

"Built" LS-VTEC's are pointless. If youre spending the money to build an engine, theres no reason NOT to use the GSR block. LS-vtecs have a purpose... that purpose is cheap power. Dumping money into that type of setup is a waste.

pearl
03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Comparing a built LSVTEC to a stock GSR is apple to oranges.

A proper comparison would be a built LS-VTEC versus a built GSR. Then, theyll make similar power, and the GSR will be cheaper and more reliable.

"Built" LS-VTEC's are pointless. If youre spending the money to build an engine, theres no reason NOT to use the GSR block. LS-vtecs have a purpose... that purpose is cheap power. Dumping money into that type of setup is a waste.

I agree with the stock GSR vs built LSVTEC comment.

I've seen plenty of built LS/VTECs all motor and turbo motors last a very long time, and with a lot of horsepower. I'm not doubting the GSR block, but if its going to be sleeved and totally rebuilt, does it really matter?

420sx
03-31-2008, 05:32 PM
I agree with the stock GSR vs built LSVTEC comment.

I've seen plenty of built LS/VTECs all motor and turbo motors last a very long time, and with a lot of horsepower. I'm not doubting the GSR block, but if its going to be sleeved and totally rebuilt, does it really matter?

Thats what I was trying to get at- if youre going through the expense of sleeving and building it... why not use the right block to begin with? The only advantage an LS block has over a GSR block (stock for stock) is its slightly larger displacement and lower price. If youre building it, the lower price obviously isnt a factor, and I would assume you would be using the crank of your choice anyway.

I guess I just dont see why people prefer an LS block over a GSR block. Oil squirters, more webbing, etc.

CHR!S
04-01-2008, 08:39 AM

james pearl for the win

lownslow95
04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Thats alot of reading, but it is a good read.

na is best!
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
what is this you people speak of?? A built ls/v vs a built gsr?? depends on the depth of the build, but if I take a ls block and throw b16 pistons in it and a b16 head, and at the same time take a gsr block and throw the SAME b16 pistons in, the ls/v will out perform the gsr all day. People like the LS better for the crank. it is 89mm rather then the gsr which is 87.. and that 2mm is a big difference when it comes to allmotor building. As for the oil squirters in the gsr, they are pointless IMO. I have seen alot of gsr's with them blocked off even. I think golden eagle sells plugs for them.

I dont believe there is a "perfect" motor to build or platform to start with, it is all about ones preference,budget, goals, intentions etc... They both have their pros and cons to them but not one is better then the other. And ls/vs are just as realiable as a gsr or b16 or d15 or whatever. Any well assembled properly maintained honda motor will last you regardless of engine code. My 2 cents

420sx
04-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Much easier to toss an LS crank into a GSR.

driftingrx5.7
04-11-2008, 10:19 PM
wait what? if you put a ls crank in a gsr because of the lenth of the rods. might want to double check that bit of info

na is best!
04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
you can run a ls crank in a gsr block no problems, just have to run ls rods not gsr rods. You actually will prolly gain about 20lb torque from them 2mm. But think about it, what you will have is a ls motor basically without the need to run that extra oil line for vtec...LS motors are great, and so is the gsr and so are the d, f, h, and k series motors... its all about what YOU wanna do, the motor isnt as important then your combination of parts and how well each part compliments eachother. Any well thought out build is a good build, just dont slap parts on.

420sx
04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
^^What he said.^^

The LS crank works great in a GSR block, ive seen many high horsepower NA and turbo GSR's running an LS crank. (krazililsmoki on t-i.net is a perfect example).