PDA

View Full Version : hpde peoples

kunt_masha
03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
just wonderin what level everyone on this forum is at?

- how long it took you to get there and how long you guys have been racing?

I have yet to drive in an event but im hoping to get into it this summer

Jlb725
03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I know a good amount of people on this forum have a great deal of experience with HPDE's and racing. If your interested in doing HPDE's some good sites to check out are PDAdrivingschool.com and Nasanortheast.com. HPDE's and racing are two different animals, a good place to start is by doing HPDE's. After a couple events you might have a better grasp on what you would like to do, either continue with HPDE's or try some Racing. As for my personal experience i have been around motor-sports for the past fifteen years, while starting to do Racing and HPDE's the past seven years. This forum is a great source of information on the topic, feel free to ask away with any questions you come across.
Good luck,
Jim

NOPSTNS
03-29-2008, 10:39 PM
i started autox is the spring of 06, wasnt crazy in love with it from the get go but it was better than sittin at home lookin at my coilovers. one day at autox they mentioned an HPDE they were hostin at pocono so id thought it give it a try, and i was hooked.
after that firste evnt i HAd to get back onto the track and dint care what i had to do to do it...

im HPDE level 2 (out of 4). my next event is in 2 weeks at lime rock and im so excited/nervous im already loosin sleep...hense me sittin here bc i cant sleep...

if u need any trackday info feel free to look 2 inches up on the thread index and see my sticky about "Trackdays 2008"

kunt_masha
03-30-2008, 03:16 AM
thanks for the info guys! i have been watching the trackdays thread lookin for people attending, and been trollin the NASA forums for a lil bit now

I think I am already hooked from watching youtube vids on limerock and pocono.. plus i went to watch a few events

the only issue is i have no car :( still debating between evo and s2k-

Jlb725 - are you in any class other than hpde? i figure that is the best starting point and I will move up from there

Jlb725
03-30-2008, 05:04 AM
thanks for the info guys! i have been watching the trackdays thread lookin for people attending, and been trollin the NASA forums for a lil bit now

I think I am already hooked from watching youtube vids on limerock and pocono.. plus i went to watch a few events

the only issue is i have no car :( still debating between evo and s2k-

Jlb725 - are you in any class other than hpde? i figure that is the best starting point and I will move up from there

I was racing in the T2 class with SCCA at the regional level, this year I'm switching to NASA. In NASA I'm almost positive that i will be running in Performance touring or super unlimited. Right now I'm heading out the door for an open HPDE at Pocono for some testing :).... I'll post pictures later on today.
- Jim

kunt_masha
03-30-2008, 12:28 PM
lucckky^^

uurxin
03-30-2008, 02:07 PM
well, family has been doing hpde since 2000... PDA, scca, PRL, pboc stuff... then around 2002 i started with my 02 wrx and brother in his s2000 tagged along with my dad to about 3-4 events a year while he went to maybe 8 or so.... and then about 05 06 we started door to door racing in the PRL, nabbed GT-1 national champ 06, now we are running 2 cars in two different class GT-1 and GT-4(viper and srt 4).. we still go out to pda, scca, pboc, chin motorsports events.. any track day people to get seat time.

youngest brother started karting around 04 or so.. idk to much about it.. runs a margay chasis.. and also drives the srt in some pde events.. and eventually will be sharing the car with him aswell.. (he is going to be prob be the fastest out of all of us... lucky ass bitch was involved in racing karts years before he had his licence.. wish i had the chance to do that when i was younger)

As for the cars, they have been at sebring for the last month or so.. we ran the pboc race .. had some trouble.. tore the center out of the clutch.. missed qual.. had to start from the back.. and rushed to get the car to the grid.. then blew an intercooler pipe.. so kinda sucked.. but it was fun none the less.. got the meet chip herr and a few others... then there is another event down there in about a week.. then we have our PRL race sat and sun of April 25-27.. then the cars come back north to mid ohio and hallet... and prob some events in-between.

racing is a family sport for us.. everyone goes out.. helps out.. has fun.. and wins together..

kunt_masha
03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
damn, thats a lot of racing!

im pretty sure ive seen the srt4 in action before, how old were you when you started racing?

marshallpre1
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
yep, I'm gonna be doing a couple of classes this summer. I need to learn how to REALLY DRIVE my Supra so I can enjoy it a lot more. What's the point of a sports car you can't drive well?

04 Turbo Spec
03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
damn, thats a lot of racing!

im pretty sure ive seen the srt4 in action before, how old were you when you started racing?

i believe we both started doing HPDE events when we turned 16.
(btw im a co-driver of the race srt along with uurxin)

NOPSTNS
03-31-2008, 12:21 AM
i am thoughly jealous of the budriss kids.....there isnt a single family member of mine that supports my enthusiasm for motorsport...

its a great thing to have backing from ur family and friends....i have neither

alwaysinboost
03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
I've only done 2 HPDE events so technically I'm still in level 1 (green). however this weekend I attended an open track @ Pocono, which makes 3 events total now, and was running wheel to wheel with group 3 & 4 driver in their all out race cars, man what an experience that was.

OP, I noticed you are torn between an sk2 & EVO, you really can't make a bad choice for either car, both are very very capable platforms for what you intend to do. I would recommend an EVO though as its a little more versital but I'm biased because I own one. :)

EDIT: Jim, what happened to you this weekend?

kunt_masha
03-31-2008, 10:26 AM
i am thoughly jealous of the budriss kids.....there isnt a single family member of mine that supports my enthusiasm for motorsport...

yea same here, thats why i feel like I'm a little late going into the game

Jlb725
03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
I've only done 2 HPDE events so technically I'm still in level 1 (green). however this weekend I attended an open track @ Pocono, which makes 3 events total now, and was running wheel to wheel with group 3 & 4 driver in their all out race cars, man what an experience that was.

OP, I noticed you are torn between an sk2 & EVO, you really can't make a bad choice for either car, both are very very capable platforms for what you intend to do. I would recommend an EVO though as its a little more versital but I'm biased because I own one. :)

EDIT: Jim, what happened to you this weekend?

I was looking around for your car, but i guess i just didn't look hard enough haha. I was parked right behind pitwall with a Yellow Ambulance and a Green M3. Maybe i was looking for the wrong car, do you have any pics of it?
- Jim

US_R33
03-31-2008, 11:26 AM

you're more than welcome to come over to our house anytime, Andie and I are very supportive of racing :-p

I'm going to try and get out to some HPDE events this season, so long as I can fit it into the budget, you're more than welcome to join me when i go

- Daniel

alwaysinboost
03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I was looking around for your car, but i guess i just didn't look hard enough haha. I was parked right behind pitwall with a Yellow Ambulance and a Green M3. Maybe i was looking for the wrong car, do you have any pics of it?
- Jim

I was in the EVO. I walked up to a guy with a black STI and introduced myself but his name was JR. I didn't see any other black STI's on track, what were you drivng?

I did a little writeup: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52667

Jlb725
03-31-2008, 06:35 PM
I was in the EVO. I walked up to a guy with a black STI and introduced myself but his name was JR. I didn't see any other black STI's on track, what were you driving?

I did a little writeup: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52667

hahah I was in a silver Sti with all those wonderful subaru graphics on the hood. The car on my avatar is my old sti. That was my fault sorry i wasn't clear about that. Is your Evo red ?
- Jim

alwaysinboost
04-01-2008, 10:16 AM
hahah I was in a silver Sti with all those wonderful subaru graphics on the hood. The car on my avatar is my old sti. That was my fault sorry i wasn't clear about that. Is your Evo red ?
- Jim

ok, I remember the silver STI, it had a front mount right? I was in the white EVO, the other two EVO's there were all-out rally cars.

Jlb725
04-01-2008, 12:00 PM
ok, I remember the silver STI, it had a front mount right? I was in the white EVO, the other two EVO's there were all-out rally cars.

I think i remember your evo, my buddy has a in car camera so i will look again. My sti doesn't have a front mount but it is silver. I think i took a couple pics i will post them up.

alwaysinboost
04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
humm, I kinda remember an STI with no FMIC but I'm not 100%. I'm sure you were there if you say so. How did you do? nothing like all that track time and decent weather huh. except for the fact that my hand froze on the first session from sticking it out the window to give point by's I had a blast.

Post up those pics/vids if you got them.

Jlb725
04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
humm, I kinda remember an STI with no FMIC but I'm not 100%. I'm sure you were there if you say so. How did you do? nothing like all that track time and decent weather huh. except for the fact that my hand froze on the first session from sticking it out the window to give point by's I had a blast.

Post up those pics/vids if you got them.

The car was running good. It was mostly a test session for me and the car before the upcoming race's. My buddy is gonna send me the pics tonite so i'll post them up later on.
- Jim

RSX Type-Slow
04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
god i'd LOVE to do this but i'm not quite sure how it works.

is it basically like an open track day where anyone can drive as long as it passes tech inspection?? i dont wanna sign up for classes, or have instructors, or join a club, i just wanna test my ability level at a track.

Nick 95 6sp
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I've never done any real "road racing", but I do enjoy the HPDE track days, which I've done with PDA, NASA (now part of the PDA operation) and SCCA. I've done a few track days each year for about the last seven years. I've been in the "advanced" group (red run group with PDA) a few times and felt comfortable driving at that level, but I think I really belong in the upper intermediate group (blue with PDA) or maybe inbetween blue and red ...is there a purple run group? ...especially since I recently changed the power level of my car upward, I need a little more track time to get a good feel for it again.

Nick 95 6sp
04-01-2008, 05:08 PM

is it basically like an open track day where anyone can drive as long as it passes tech inspection?? i dont wanna sign up for classes, or have instructors, or join a club, i just wanna test my ability level at a track.

If you go to PDA's website, download the "tech inspection" form at the top of the page and it shows you what they inspect: just the basic stuff to make sure you and your car will be reasonably safe. http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/

No club to join, you just pay for the track day. But if you join PDA/NASA you get a little discount on the cost of each track day so if you go to more than one, it pays to "join".

There are no classes to sign up for, except the short classes inbetween run sessions that PDA requires novices to attend. When you go to one of these track days for the first time, you'll be put into the novice group where they will go thru driving "excercises" on track, like following an instructor in a lead car who picks up the pace as the day goes on; maybe also have an instructor ride as passenger in the car with you, but that depends on availability of enough instructors so it is probably not required, though it can be helpful to learning. By the end of that first day, they usually let you go out and drive on your own; next time out you can step up to the lower intermediate group and just go.

alwaysinboost
04-01-2008, 05:34 PM

you would have to start out as a novice, with an instructor, class time, and a lot of rules. There is no way you will be able to handle your car on a track w/o any instruction... trust me. you would be a hazard to everyone else out there. Its a lot more difficult then it looks. If you are a natural and have a good head on your shoulders you *might* get solo'ed your first day but don't count on it.

just sign up for an HPDE with PDA or something like that and I promiss you will not regret it...well maybe you will because it will consume all your free time and money.

Jlb725
04-02-2008, 11:21 PM
This is the link to some random pics of the day... nothing special just me and my buddies car.
http://picasaweb.google.com/krcd626/PoconoOpenTrackDay33008 - Jim

kunt_masha
04-05-2008, 03:38 PM
i was planning on gettin an FD, but i just went to test one out and it seems that I will never fit in one haha

- What do you track whores see as the best cars in YOUR opinion.. I know everyone has preferences, im just bored
Price range from 15-25k

I'm still torn between FD (cheapish but fairly unrelaible), s2k (reliable but small), and evo (daily drive but most expensive & awd)

04 Turbo Spec
04-06-2008, 01:48 AM

i really would not recommend not having an instructor, especially after you just said you really dont know how it works. please take it from someone who know this sort of thing get an instructor

NOPSTNS
04-06-2008, 11:11 AM
kunt masha, everyone has their taste with cars good for driving, if i were u and were looking at fd, s2k, or evo, id say s2k.

the FD will give u too many headaches, the evo may or may not be too much to handle on ur first day out on a course, i dunno. but imo id want something thats easy to control with decent pep and confident handling, nothing that would thro me some surprise at 120 around a turn. an s2k might just be it. id throw a hard top on it before i ran it out t here tho.

i really would not recommend not having an instructor, especially after you just said you really dont know how it works. please take it from someone who know this sort of thing get an instructor

werd.

i went out with an instructor my first day and its not only long suggested by other drivers, its required. if u go to a hpde and ur a novice u WILL get an instructor. driving a road course looks so easy but its not. my first few times around i was terrified and if i was alone it would have been catastrophic!

by the middle of the day they moved me from novice to intermediate and by the last few runs of the day the instructor signed off on me and i was allowed to drive out there by myself, and its was a different world...!:supz:

kunt_masha
04-06-2008, 01:18 PM
^^ thanks, seems like everyone is sayin s2k at this point.

I'm worried it will feel smalller than the FD, although most ppl on s2ki are sayin its not that bad

BMS
04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Go with a RX8 the best car ever, trust me hahaha, also my brother could build you a sick exhaust and I think NOSTNS will agree lol

Also im the youngest brother of the Budriss kids, the lucky ass bitch hahaha

kunt_masha
04-06-2008, 07:13 PM
^^ Luckyy

if i went rotory it would definately be a 7 though..

best bang for the buck, and rx8's still look funny to me haha

any pics or vids of your rx8??

BMS
04-06-2008, 08:33 PM
i don't any pics but we did make a vid of the exhaust with no resonator, and lets just say the video does not even compare to how loud it was, now we put a resonator on it and thats wat i use as a daily driver lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY01-LkJQ3o

kunt_masha
04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
^^ that sounds mean

im jealous of your ride too lol