PDA

View Full Version : Sentra Spec-V headunit install

Kevin
03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I am going to install a headunit in my buddies car and am looking for some info on how people have don't it in their cars. I know there are a few Spec V guys on here. I am just looking to know how the radio trim comes off to access it. The car is a 2002.

It looks like this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/attachments/newbie/17270d1122062663-carputer-2002-nissan-sentra-questions-1122_55.jpg

Also does this car come with a factory amp? 3 of his speakers aren't working at all, not even any fuzzy sound. They are plugged in but only his front right speaker works. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Erik
03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
the lack of sound is probably just simple loose wiring.
Ive never installed a Spec V though. sorry.

When you take out the wire harness, the clip that fits into the headunit, check each wire that goes in there. They have a tendancy to become lose and that is what causes speaker problems. Also, on the speaker itself. There should be a white clip that clips onto the factory speakers. Usually, it isnt something inbetween.

SpEcRv9
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
i had to take the whole front of the dash off....fist pop up the shifter spot then youll see some screws and you can follow it from there.....i dont know if your buddy already has the adapter but i had to go find one because best buy or circut city didnt have them, i found mine at world wide stereo on 309, and it was the last one so i think its pretty hard to find

but like i said once you pop the shifter area out youll need to unscrew a few things....

the stock amp is in the rear deck of the car..im just not sure where...never really looked into it. but it only powers the front speakers and stock sub i believe

truthfully its really easy...it was my first install of any kind of audio equipment...and it didnt take that long at all.

Jeffros Spec V
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
If you open the lid on top you should pull that forward and it'll pop right out. From there you'll see some screws and be on your way.

Like stated get the harness and go from there.

Kevin
03-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated.

So the stock amp is in the trunk lid?

And I gotta get the console out to get the dash radio trim pieces off to access the removal of the stock radio?

I picked up the trim kit and harness from best buy. It contains two harnesses'. Is this right?

assault187
03-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated.

And I gotta get the console out to get the dash radio trim pieces off to access the removal of the stock radio?

I picked up the trim kit and harness from best buy. It contains two harnesses'. Is this right?

The pocket below the radio pops out, its held in by clips. Pop this piece off, Then you will find 2 phillips head screws right below the climate control knobs (exposed from pulling out pocket) then pull that piece off. Then there are 2 more screws behind that piece holding the radio in, remove them. Now the top part with the flip up pocket and climate vents pulls out as well being held in by clips. Try using a soft pry tool to persuade the clips out without maring the dash up. Once this piece is removed you will then see 2 screws holding the top of the radio, remove them and viola..the radio is out. IF the car has factory premium sound the amp will be locating in the trunk...Im not sure but i wanna say its under the rear deck. If the amp is bad then you will need to install a amp bypass harness. If the car does not have premium sound then this is not needed. Its may just be blown speakers...try this, Take a 9 volt battery and locate the (+) and (-) lead for each speaker that is not working and simply "POP" the speaker with the battery. The pos on the battery will go the the Pos speaker lead and neg to neg...simple.

Radio 12V: blue +
Radio Ground: Use Chasis ground
Radio Ignition: pink +
Radio Illumination: yellow/red +
Left Front Speaker: (+/-) purple - grn/yel
Right Front Speaker: (+/-) brown - brn/wht
Left Rear Speaker: (+/-) orange - blk/pnk
Right Rear Speaker: (+/-) gray - gry/red

BTW judging by looking at the radio in the pic, I HIGHLY doubt this car has a premium bose or rockford sound system, It should be a straight up radio install, If it did have the premium sound the radio would be badged in most cases

Erik
03-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Its may just be blown speakers...try this, Take a 9 volt battery and locate the (+) and (-) lead for each speaker that is not working and simply "POP" the speaker with the battery. The pos on the battery will go the the Pos speaker lead and neg to neg...simple.

I meant to mention this also.

BTW, for future reference, this works for subwoofers also. You will see the cone of the speaker/woofer bump once. If its blown (from personal experience) it makes a very wierd sound like when you shake a sheet of metal. Thats just the 2 speakers ive tested that where blown. Could be coincidental and not sound like that. Any one able to back me up here? lol

Kevin
03-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Holy tits! Nice write up! Thanks. Only someone with a DSM can know how the interior falls apart on other cars instead of their own :mrgreen:

That pic isn't of his car but the dash is the same, his is manual.

So basically the entire trim from the top of the dash lid to below the climate control nobs comes out?, its like the one long ass piece of trim.

I've done plenty of headunits, I just like to be sure before I start digging in. Better safe then sorry.

Oh and the car has three speakers in the rear lid, looks like two speakers and a small stock sub. I don't see an amp though, just a roll up box for the seat belts. I'll look harder.

Kevin
03-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Put it in today. Was ****ing cake. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Fazeshift
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm a little late to chime in, but will answer a few questions for sake of future searchers.

the stock amp is in the rear deck of the car..im just not sure where...never really looked into it. but it only powers the front speakers and stock sub i believe

Actually it powers all 4 corners and the sub.

If equipped, it hangs under the rear deck... can't miss it.

Yes, a piece harness.

BTW judging by looking at the radio in the pic, I HIGHLY doubt this car has a premium bose or rockford sound system, It should be a straight up radio install, If it did have the premium sound the radio would be badged in most cases

It has a small RF logo in the corner, but otherwise looks identical to the base and mid-grade models. The newer RF (2004+) also have an Aux in port too, but still same look.

Oh and the car has three speakers in the rear lid, looks like two speakers and a small stock sub. I don't see an amp though, just a roll up box for the seat belts. I'll look harder.

That's the mid-grade system. Be thankful you didn't have the RF "audio fanatic" package w/ the amp. The amp is a pain to deal with cause the signal output from the headunit to amp isn't speaker level nor line level. I had to do this to just to make it work:
http://fazeshift.org/pics/albums/userpics/01-31-06/DCP07157.JPG
...and you'll also need noise/ground loop filters to eliminate pops/crackles.