PDA

View Full Version : 05 sti

WRX_JB
03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Looking to get some upgrades after i buy it.

Currently has a cobb stage 2.

Was looking for BOV, and possible tune

CHAOS
03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
bov is a no no.

im gonna PM you.

Crashed_Again
03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Looking to get some upgrades after i buy it.

Currently has a cobb stage 2.

Was looking for BOV, and possible tune

A BOV will not add power. An intake or elbow delete is a good start from the stage 2. Also, a boost controller is a good idea before a tune.

There are many options depending on what you want.

CHAOS
03-12-2008, 10:27 AM
a boost controller is unnecessary. the ecu can control boost fine on its own... at the most you could get the prodive or perrin Boost control solenoid.

4banginRex
03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
depending on ur goals a bigger intercooler might be useful and meth on the 39 always helps, both give you room to choose whatever larger turbo and injectors you would like. Its a good start. Intake is also a good idea when u start pushing it above 300whp although the stock airbox is rated to support that

RayArroyo
03-12-2008, 10:34 AM
A bov will not be needed, i was pushing 26 psi on my car on stock bpv and did not leak once. using a non recirculated bov will cause your car to run a little rough as well. as far as a boost controller, yes the factory one works great however it can still use some improvement so adding a mbc or an ebc will improve spool up and such and control better boost.

cons of a boost controller are variances in boost depending on temperature and lots of annoying ptb.

the prodrive and perrin bcs are in my book over priced and over rated you can achieve the same results with a gmbcs which costs about 34.00 brand new. this will give you better boost control over the factory system and we can control it via the ecu to eliminate ptb and boost variances.

CHAOS
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
i forgot about the GM one... ray, do you have a part number for that? pm me.

4banginRex
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
so ray you would recommend me to pick up one of those before you tune my car?

RayArroyo
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
so ray you would recommend me to pick up one of those before you tune my car? if you are on a td04 its really not neccesary.

RayArroyo
03-12-2008, 10:44 AM
i forgot about the GM one... ray, do you have a part number for that? pm me.
coming right up :)

RayArroyo
03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Parts: GM boost solenoid for Typhoon, GM Part # 1997152
Pigtails, GM Part # 12102747

rockauto.com 34.95 shipped

RayArroyo
03-12-2008, 10:50 AM
some technical information pulled from the wikki
2-Port Operation (Stock)

The stock solenoid is part of the stock bleed-based boost control system. When the solenoid is off (closed), pressurized air from the compressor is fed straight into the wastegate control. Any increase in compressor pressure beyond the rated pressure of the wastegate control results in the wastegate being opened, preventing buildup of boost.

When energized (opened), air is allowed to bleed off the compressor-to-wastegate line by way of a “T” connector (in stock vehicles, this air is vented back into the intake post-MAF). This prevents the wastegate from seeing the full compressor pressure, allowing boost to build. The '02-'03 (and some '04-'05) model years include a restrictor pill in the hose connecting the compressor to the “T” which meters the air for the stock ECU calibration.

While the stock system operates adequately, it can lead to problems at higher-than-stock boost levels. Since the bleed system is sized for the stock turbo at stock boost levels, it is typically incapable of correctly metering air at higher boost, allowing the wastegate to see pressure and open before intended. Additionally, since the wastegate is never completely cut off from seeing compressor pressure, it can open at low boost levels and inhibit boost buildup. Ideally, the wastegate should remain entirely closed for fastest boost buildup (as all exhaust is then forced through the turbine).
3-Port Operation

A 3-port solenoid does away with the bleed-based system, explicitly shunting air from the compressor to the wastegate, or compressor to vent (or back into the intake post-MAF, OEM-style). Drawbacks of the bleed-based system are thus eliminated, with the wastegate seeing literally no pressure when the solenoid is energized, to seeing all of the compressor pressure when the solenoid is de-energized.

Now able to explicitly control the opening and closing of the wastegate, the ECU is able to control boost with greater precision and reduced response time.

The drawback with a 3-port system vs. the stock 2-port is that failure of the solenoid in the energized state would lead to complete loss of boost control, likely resulting in a blown engine.

scutzi128
03-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Where can I get a GM boost selenoid?

scutzi128
03-12-2008, 10:53 AM
nvm ninjad

scutzi128
03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Does the GM provide a benefit with a ext wg?

4banginRex
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
well thats a crappy drawback haha

scutzi128
03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Heres some info on the GM BCS.

http://www.tarmacwolf.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=3-port_boost_solenoid

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/scutzi128/gmbcs.jpg

WRX_JB
03-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the info guys , what do you think about getting an access port then?

CHAOS
03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the info guys , what do you think about getting an access port then?

you have a wealth of tuners around... its almost a waste... ray, andy, hill, etc etc etc.

scutzi128
03-12-2008, 11:22 AM
For the same price of an accesport you could have a full custom tune for your car. We are lucky to have so many talented tuners around here.

RayArroyo
03-12-2008, 11:24 AM
for under 200.00 he can have a full custom tune by me :)

btw i thought in the initial post it said car has an ap stage 2?

WRX_JB
03-12-2008, 11:26 AM
herd , the guy who owned the car before me , has one. Think i should offer him something for it? What would be a good cheap price?

RayArroyo
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
herd , the guy who owned the car before me , has one. Think i should offer him something for it? What would be a good cheap price?

if its under 200 get it

for 200.00 just forget it and get tuned by me :mrgreen:

WRX_JB
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
for under 200.00 he can have a full custom tune by me :)

btw i thought in the initial post it said car has an ap stage 2?

Just cobb stage 2 , like downpipe back or something , dont think it has been tuned or anythign liek that ill find out.

Any questions i should ask him before the purchase?

Vypurr
03-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Get a full mod list of everything that it has ever had, and be sure to ask what it's going to come with.

scutzi128
03-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Just cobb stage 2 , like downpipe back or something , dont think it has been tuned or anythign liek that ill find out.

Any questions i should ask him before the purchase?

O yea missed that...if it is cobb stage 2 then it should include an accesport + full TBE.

Vypurr
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Heck, if it comes with the AP for free, then sell it and pay for a full custom tune using any of the local tuners and OpenECU.