PDA

View Full Version : 2g strut tower welding

Kevin
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I am wondering if you guys could fix my rusted strut tower on my 2g. Needs to be cut and new metal welded in. Want a pic?

Gregory
03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I don't weld, but a pic would help.

Kevin
03-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Here's a thread on it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/125717-strut-tower-rust-merged-1-7-a.html

PaleDSM
03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
It is a very common problem on the 2Gs and the only real way to fix it is to replace the panels. Unfortunately the passenger's side is no longer in production. What side is your rust on?

Willdue
03-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Damn, that happend to mine. A friend of my dads welded a new peice into mine.

Kevin
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
It's on the passengers, but I was hoping for a job like what the guy did in post 93.

Willdue
03-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Yea mine was on the passengers to lol. I can look into what he did to mine if you want

Kevin
03-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Yea mine was on the passengers to lol. I can look into what he did to mine if you want

Yea do it up. Thanks.:afro:

Kevin
03-12-2008, 02:00 AM
So can I be helped JNZ?

TalonTsi97
03-12-2008, 02:14 AM
This is something that i definitely want more info on for when the time comes to fix mine. it's bothered me since the day i got my car but i have been unsure what to do. I remember Erik (paledsm) said he was getting his fixed before he sold his dsm but i cant remember if he ever did before selling it. hopefully something can be done, hopefully jnz can save the day like usual.

PaleDSM
03-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Not much we can do really. :( I did fix mine before selling the car but I ground the welds down to far and it cracked again on the new owner. Stupid mistake on my part. I cut a panel out of a junk yard car and had it patched in on my strut tower. That is probably your best option at this point. A good body shop should be able to take care of the job for you. A friend's Dad owns a body shop in Hatfield that is tackling this job on a 2G at the moment actually.

EKLIPZGSX97
03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
*Raises Hand* Hi, yea that would be me.:lol:

I'll say this, to keep it short and sweet... It's a Job and half! If you wanna go the cutting and welding route, than you're more than welcome too but it's basically only a band-aid. I apologize in advance if anyone is offended by what i'm about to say but, it's really the best parallel that i can draw. Rust is like cancer, if caught early enough and can be managed if not stopped but if it gets to the point where you can see your tire while your hood is popped, then it's too late for that panel.

The driver's side inner fenderwell apron panel (technical name) is available from Mitsu, sparingly. The passenger side is COMPLETELY discontinued. I had to cut the pass. panel out of the cleanest 2G i found in a local yard. and bought the driver side from Mitsu. Replacing those panels properly requires removal of the motor & trans ( mine blew up so i had a golden oppertunity). Removal of every accessory bolted to those panels (suspension, brake lines, P/S lines etc...) and the drilling out of over a thousand spot welds ( which is like brain surgery in and of itself)

I would imagine you walking in off the street to a random body shop and asking them to tackle a job like that would end with you getting laughed at more or less. And in the event that they did decide to tackle it, you might as well just hand them a good chunk of your paycheck for the next year +.

I'm in process of tackling it now and would be more than willing to keep you updated with any tricks/tips i find if you're going balls to the wall and fixing it the right way. However, I'll put it in prospective for you... My car has been down since Late August/Early September of 2007. And with me, my brother and dad putting an average of 3-4 hours into it a week we're just now getting to the point where the bad panels are ready to come out...:eek:

Don't get me wrong, i do miss my car sometimes but it's really a job that will make you think hard about whether to keep your car or not.

Kevin
03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
It's not even that bad.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/KevinCress/DSC01097.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/KevinCress/DSC01098.jpg

But yea I know how your supposed to do it. I can't wait to get rid of this car anyway. DSM's are the biggest piece of **** car ever put together. I could build a better car out of wood and it would probably stay together better.

I'm gonna get it cut out and weld a piece in. Whatever happens happens, I'm not worried about it. A shop that welds custom piping can't weld sheet metal for me so I gotta help myself.

DSSA
03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
A shop that welds custom piping can't weld sheet metal for me so I gotta help myself.

Unfortunately, that's like asking a body shop to build you custom piping.

Two entirely different things.

Kevin
03-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Unfortunately, that's like asking a body shop to build you custom piping.

Two entirely different things.

Money's money.

DSSA
03-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Money's money.

Indeed it is, but you're missing the point.

"You don't ask a dentist for a vasectomy" if that's a little clearer.

Of course, "money's money" but when your testicles end up being gold capped I'm sure you're not going to be complaining to your friends that it's your own fault that you went to the wrong person.

Kevin
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Indeed it is, but you're missing the point.

"You don't ask a dentist for a vasectomy" if that's a little clearer.

Of course, "money's money" but when your testicles end up being gold capped I'm sure you're not going to be complaining to your friends that it's your own fault that you went to the wrong person.

Hmm your analogy is quite broad. Too broad to even consider the terms of what I am asking but I'll let you go.

If they did do it and the strut went through the hood it'd be my fault anyway. **** I'd sign something saying JNZ can't be at fault. But whatever I'm just pissed off at Mitsubishi. :mad:

DSSA
03-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Hmm your analogy is quite broad. Too broad to even consider the terms of what I am asking but I'll let you go.

If they did do it and the strut went through the hood it'd be my fault anyway. **** I'd sign something saying JNZ can't be at fault. But whatever I'm just pissed off at Mitsubishi. :mad:

Okay, I'll narrow it down some more. I won't allow myself or any of my guys to do sheet metal bodywork (especially on a critical area like that) due to the fact that we have *NO* experience in it, nor do I feel that we'd even be close to the right place to have that done.

I wouldn't (and haven't) even do it for anyone who worked for me, or on one of my own cars.

Waiver or not, we'd still be liable, and either way, just not comfortable doing it in the first place.

I understand your frustration with Mitsu (it's not like this is uncommon on the 2Gs), just telling you *why* we said we don't do that.

Kevin
03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
So I guess your somehow associated with JNZ?

DSSA
03-21-2008, 12:46 AM
You could say that. :lol:

I'm the one that gets to pay the bills....

Kevin
03-21-2008, 12:47 AM
You could say that. :lol:

I'm the one that gets to pay the bills....

Oh. I thought you were some random dude jackin' my thread.

That's why I was implying to go **** yourself lol

my bad man.

EKLIPZGSX97
03-21-2008, 12:54 AM
that's how mine started, it is worse than you think... there is more weak metal that hasnt bubbled through the paint yet

DSSA
03-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh. I thought you were some random dude jackin' my thread.

That's why I was implying to go **** yourself lol

my bad man.

Hahaha. No problem. I like to stay low-key.

I just wanted you to realize that it's not that we were just telling you "piss off, we don't want your business" but that we're not really capable of doing that job properly.

Rev. Maynard
03-21-2008, 08:52 AM
When Josh interacts on a board, there has to be a good reason :)