PDA

View Full Version : Idle bouncing?

Erik
02-27-2008, 12:11 AM
When i start my car (93 pontiac sunbird) it bounces around 300-500 rpm. Once i start driving, the bouncing stops wether it is coming to a stop at a light, or about to turn the car off, it doesnt bounce anymore, it is only after starting the car up. Is that anything that is serious? If confused, just ask..i suck at explaining. Maybe ill post a video.

Erik
02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
8:45 bump for some help :rolleyes:

Metalhedd
02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
that sounds really low for idle to me. most cars idle around 900-1000

Erik
02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
ohh sorry, i mean it bounces from around 900 to 1200, 1400. I didnt mean idling at 300-500...thats the range its moving. Sorry i didnt even catch that.

QCs_R4_Girls
02-27-2008, 11:14 AM
If there's no CELs, more than likely it's just because of the cold weather we've been having.
When the car starts up, it doesn't run on its default operating settings. Instead, it's on an open-loop warm up program that is monitored by coolant temp, MAF, rpms, and throttle position. In short, it's trying to get the operating temperature up as fast as possible. It's also sucking gas fast, so I bet your mileage is going down. (At any throttle position during the winter, the air that is sucked in contains more molecules/sq in so the fuel ratio needs to be adjusted (upped) to compensate, or else the mixture leans out.) Still with me?
If there are codes, however, it could be a faulty O2 sensor, leaky manifold gasket, clogged throttle body, or bad TPS. But since you didn't mention the car throwing codes, so you probably don't have to worry about any of those.

cburwell
02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Most cars have something that controls the cold idle. It sounds like there may be a problem with that unit since the problem disappears after a while.

The information that QCs provided is a really good explanation. It's worth checking those items out first.

Metalhedd
02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
could be throttle position sensor, or like was said before, it could be normal for your car to warm up that way

DPancoast
02-27-2008, 10:41 PM
- vacuum leak
- coolant temp sensor
- air in the coolant system
- TPS out of calibration
- sticky throttle cable/sludged up throttle plate....
- O2 sensor may be dirty....

could be a laundry list of things. Start with checking the simple things first.

S4toSTI
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
If there's no CELs, more than likely it's just because of the cold weather we've been having.
When the car starts up, it doesn't run on its default operating settings. Instead, it's on an open-loop warm up program that is monitored by coolant temp, MAF, rpms, and throttle position. In short, it's trying to get the operating temperature up as fast as possible. It's also sucking gas fast, so I bet your mileage is going down. (At any throttle position during the winter, the air that is sucked in contains more molecules/sq in so the fuel ratio needs to be adjusted (upped) to compensate, or else the mixture leans out.) Still with me?
If there are codes, however, it could be a faulty O2 sensor, leaky manifold gasket, clogged throttle body, or bad TPS. But since you didn't mention the car throwing codes, so you probably don't have to worry about any of those.

Haha nice what she said. Oh and since when do most cars idle around 1k??

lagos
02-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Pop the hood with the motor running at look around for anything hissing. It sounds like you have a cracked hose creating a vac leak and thats whats making your idle bounce.

Erik
02-28-2008, 07:52 AM
alright. Ill do a propane test and let you know.

DPancoast
02-29-2008, 01:12 AM
either that or brak kleen...or however the **** the spell it. Red bottle.

Also.. My car idles at 1500....should be at 850 LOL.

95naSTA
03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
It's probably a bad or sticking IAC valve.
Is it a 3.1 MPFI?

SovXietday
03-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Pull off the IACV and clean the screen. If that doesn't help look for a vacuum leak.

lowbri21
03-06-2008, 02:47 PM
could be an evap charcoal canister clogged up seen the same thing happen to a 92 legacy