PDA

View Full Version : Cart Racing Question - "Power 2 Pass"?

TROLL
08-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm watching cart racing on TV... I put it on sometimes but dont actually sit and watch it for any duration. Anyways, now I am and they are talking about this whole "power 2 pass" thing which seems to be a burst of power... each car gets 75 seconds of it during the race... I think the are saying it adds 50 hp to the car. This seems really bizarre to me for road racing and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything more about it.
Bryan

04 Turbo Spec
08-28-2005, 05:26 PM
one of two things
that they are turbo v8's but like 1.2l(or somethign close to this) of displacment the get a computer controlled 75 secs of scramble boost, that means that the turbo will push as much air as it possible can

the other is a computer controlled air restricter plate for 75 secs

i know both of these are used but i don't know what motors cart uses

Chair-Force
08-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm watching cart racing on TV... I put it on sometimes but dont actually sit and watch it for any duration. Anyways, now I am and they are talking about this whole "power 2 pass" thing which seems to be a burst of power... each car gets 75 seconds of it during the race... I think the are saying it adds 50 hp to the car. This seems really bizarre to me for road racing and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything more about it.
Bryan
It was put in to draw American viewers to CART. Americans don't like Forumla 1 because there isn't enough passinng. So CART added Push-to-Pass to try and fill this gap and make open-wheel racing more exciting to the US.

272sWrx
08-29-2005, 10:29 PM
passing isnt really interesting when your car only turns left.

99SL2_Modder
08-29-2005, 10:30 PM
passing isnt really interesting when your car only turns left.

Oh thank god someone else finds NASCAR boring.

MuddyREX
08-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Oh thank god someone else finds NASCAR boring.

I agree, Nascar is very boring to me.

But, CART is a completely different thing than NASCAR. CART involves open wheeled cars that turn both right AND left. Very similar to Formula 1 cars. Races are done mostly on road courses, and the occasional circle track.

MuddyREX
08-29-2005, 11:05 PM
As for the "power 2 pass," I found this on the Speed Channel's website.

Beginning at Long Beach, Champ Cars will be equipped with a “push-to-pass” button, giving drivers an extra 50 horsepower. Not indiscriminately, however. Drivers will be limited to 60 seconds of push-to-pass power per race, and it’s up to them whether they use it to carve through traffic in the opening laps, save it for the closing laps when 50 extra ponies could spell the difference between a win and second place, or use it judiciously throughout the day.

I found nothing about how it works or what it is. I would guess it has something to do with restrictor plates as stated above.

sesolcSTI
09-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Wow, i have never heard of this. I think its pretty funny! Are you sure its a restrictor or could it be...............

NAWZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111ONEONEONEONEONEO ENONEONE!!!!!! :lol: