PDA

View Full Version : I ****ing Hate Vacuum Leaks!

igo4bmx
08-26-2005, 11:08 PM
that is all
(still can't find problem and two hours late from where i'm supposed to be :( )

ayim01
08-27-2005, 01:07 AM
i think i saw you pull into the sunoco at the 309 63 intersection. saw you popping your hood for alittle inspection.

wgknestrick
08-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Make yourself a pressure test fitting. Take a universal valve stem, mount it in a plastic, plumbing plug, and couple it to your intake tubing with a silicone connector. Tighten it all down and pressurize it to 10psi. Get a spray bottle of soap and water to soap up all the connections starting from the test fitting. The bubbles tell you its leaking. I would also reccomend putting a vacuum gage on too while you do this ($30). The gauge will show you how bad it is leaking by how fast it depressurizes. Sometimes if the leak is big enough, you can't pressurize the manifold and this renders the bubbles useless. If this is the case, you should be able to spot the leak while you have a friend work the air compressor.

This IS the best and most robust way to check for leaks. Forget carb cleaner, propane, etc.

Also note that you will never get your manifold to hold 100% of the air due to some slight leak from valves/pistons, but it should leak no more than about 1psi/2-4sec

And check out:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2003/VacuumLeaks.htm

Bill

igo4bmx
08-27-2005, 10:17 AM
i think i saw you pull into the sunoco at the 309 63 intersection. saw you popping your hood for alittle inspection.

yeah man
thats when it started happening... on my way home from work... :(