PDA

View Full Version : Trackdays 2008

NOPSTNS
02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
the wait is over, i have compilied a list of all the major trackdays that will be going down in the northeast from now until the end of 2008. info on this thread will be constantly edited by me to add info....

take note now, uve been warned. a trackday usually costs around 300 dollars, and that doesnt include the gas u will DEVOUR or the membership fee u may have to pay to the club to join. for example, when i registered to race at lime rock in april i had to join NASa (40 bucks) and then pay about 280 for a spot at the track. then i will be driving nearly 4 hrs to get there....then race for 5 hrs, then drive 4 hrs home....last yrs event at pocono cost me 5 tanks of fuel.....

guess each trackday to cost around 500 dollars depending on where u drive to. so theres ur heads up. its a lot of money but its so worth it.

starting with NASA....

http://www.nasanortheast.org/
FAQ section...
http://www.nasanortheast.org/faq.htm

of all the events they will hold this year, there is one of particular interest i want a lot of us TST'ers to attend. August 5th and 6th is a HPDE at new jersey motorsports park. its a good middle ground for a lot of the tst ppl here and i think we can get a good handful of ppl to come. i myself will be attending this event...

heres the list of trackdays (HPDE) for this years NASA club.

2008 NASA Northeast Calendar
March 28th
Pocono North
Open Track & Instructor Training

April 12th
Lime Rock
HPDE
http://www.limerock.com/

April 15th
Pocono Long Course
Open Track & Super Comp School

May 3rd
Pocono East
HPDE
http://www.poconoraceway.com/

May 5th-6th
Watkins Glen
HPDE
http://www.theglen.com/

May 31st-June 1st
Pocono North
HPDE & Sprint Races

July 14th-15th
Watkins Glen
HPDE

July 18th
Pocono 3 Courses
HPDE

July 19th
Pocono Long Double Infield
HPDE & Sprint Race

July 20th
Pocono Long Single Infield
HPDE & Sprint Race

August 5th-6th
Thunderbolt at NJ Motorsports Park
HPDE
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/index.html

Spetember 6th-7th
Pocono North
HPDE & Sprint Races

Spetember 15th-16th
Watkins Glen
HPDE

October 3rd
Watkins Glen
Open Track

October 4th-5th
Watkins Glen
HPDE & Sprint Races

October 15th
HPDE

October 16th
Lightning at NJ Motorsports Park
HPDE

November 1st
Lime Rock
HPDE

November 7th
Open Track

November 8th-9th
HPDE & Sprint Races

now u will notice some intructor training and open track and sprint races, these are things most of us wont/cant/shouldnt do anyway.

the main focus is the HPDE, these are trackdays where we will all be learning how to drive our cars. open track and such is not for most of us here.

PDA driving school...kinda the same setup, u will notice dates overlap the NASA group...

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=1

SCCA's PDX is listed but im comin up shy on trackdates....more info soon...or maybe someone else will find it..

http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=36

heres ur tri region love jon, they havent updated their site in months...so no word yet, but id swing for june -july to guess....

http://www.triregionracing.org/index.html

CHAOS
02-07-2008, 09:27 PM
i cant ****ing wait... do u know when the tri-region event is going to be frank?

cburwell
02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Great idea! If I'm really lucky (and motivated) my car would be able to pass track inspection in November.

RSX Type-Slow
02-08-2008, 12:13 AM
I CANNOT WAIT

hopefully by then i'll have all my mods done, and then save up money to race ha

scutzi128
02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Can't wait to finally take my car to a track.

namdoogwerdna
02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Subscribed. I'd at least like to go up and shoot some pics with someone.

alwaysinboost
02-08-2008, 11:15 AM
heres the list of trackdays (HPDE) for this years NASA club.

2008 NASA Northeast Calendar
March 28th
Pocono North
Open Track & Instructor Training

whats Open track like? I've never been to Pocono but I want to attend this event.

CarbonIS
02-08-2008, 11:55 AM
very excited. this is what i want to do with my car this summer.

CHAOS
02-08-2008, 12:16 PM
might wanna get something wider than a 235 hahaha j/k

frank, what kind of pads do you run?

CarbonIS
02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
haha i know I'm looking to get a set of track rims. turbo build is first though.

CHAOS
02-08-2008, 12:42 PM
oh my bad baller status.

PUREKDM
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
i'm sooo down...

ozthunder
02-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I would love to do the Glen..I drove around it and the original track before, but not on a track day. And my gf's gparents live all of 2 miles away!

namdoogwerdna
02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
oh my bad baller status.

hahaha

NOPSTNS
02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
open track is not for us. u need a load of experience and graduation from certain classes if i recall. for us tst peeps its gonna be the HPDE's that are for us. its an arrive and drive type of deal.

to note:
if u have no experience racing on a road course, u will be in HPDE level 1. its for the novices. ppl like me and chaos will be HPDE 2 which is intermediates bc we have been to trackdays in the past. there are 4 levels 1 being novice and 4 being borderline pro. after pro u can apply to get ur racing license and its on to the big fish from there. but for the majority of us, level 1 is where we will be at.
keep that in mind when registering bc certain days are for certain classes.
for example, i am registered to race at limerock on april 12th. its HPDE 1 and HPDE 2 only. i am racing in level 2. level 1 is full for anyone curious...some trackdays will be level 3 and 4 only, some days will be all 4 run groups...make sure ur reading properly when u sign up!

and jon, i will not be running my brembo pads this year, i may be swapping them out the night before for a race pad from endless. im not sure yet bc the brembos were great last yr at pocono, very consistent awesomeness the whole day but they are getting kinda low so a replacement is needed anyway. i will get a set of endless street pads for my street driving and a race pad for the trackdays. if u still got those brembo calipers on ur sti we can get a two for one deal maybe bc i have the same calipers that come on the sti's, we have interchangeable part numbers....if i recall correctly.

next month ill be gettin my track tires from RT tuning and getting a corner balance and i may be ordering the pads then.

as for the rest of youds, if ur looking into a day to race and u have no particular one in sight, may i recommend the HPDE at new jersey motorsports park in august. its not too far and its a brand new track, i wanna get a lot of us to go. im hopinh its gonna be open to at least HPDE 1 and 2, but it may be open for all 4. i dunno about NJMP track times, but i do know lime rock cut their times in half bc they are renting to clubs even more this yr than last.....

as the weeks go on ill be posting some things to check on ur car b4 u do ur first trackday. its better to learn ahead of time than to learn the hardway and be told to go home...!

RSX Type-Slow
02-08-2008, 07:01 PM
i was reading about the HPDE on the nasa website and it states that level 1 and 2 needs a club member as a co-driver? is this correct? i dont wanna sign up for nasa i just wanna rip around on a track.

so basically i'm asking is this like a "walk on" style track day or do we need attend the classes and such?

alwaysinboost
02-08-2008, 07:15 PM
see you on the 12th then, I'm registered for Lime Rock also.

PUREKDM
02-08-2008, 09:01 PM
i was reading about the HPDE on the nasa website and it states that level 1 and 2 needs a club member as a co-driver? is this correct? i dont wanna sign up for nasa i just wanna rip around on a track.

so basically i'm asking is this like a "walk on" style track day or do we need attend the classes and such?

+1 maybe we just have to cut the locks on the gates at night and get a couple of laps in

RSX Type-Slow
02-09-2008, 02:32 AM
+1 maybe we just have to cut the locks on the gates at night and get a couple of laps in

i'm down for some illegal track racing lol

bastid
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I'll be joining some of you guys out there with my new ride I'm sure. My helmet has been collecting way too much dust :(

PUREKDM
02-09-2008, 03:09 PM
someone just set a date for a HPDE 1-2 for pocono or the new NJ track...i DEFFINATELY want to come

BMS
02-13-2008, 08:31 PM
i can't wait to take rx8 on the track.

The pre-Season has already begun for us, we already have been testing. next we will be in homestead miami. then its off to Sebring for the first race of year. then we will hit the glen, pocono, and the NJMP. NJMP will be are hometrack for the balk of our testing throughout the year.

alwaysinboost
02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
see you on the 12th then, I'm registered for Lime Rock also.

CORRECTION, I'm wait-listed for Lime Rock, luckly I'm # 3 on the list, I hope I make it...

NOPSTNS
02-16-2008, 08:38 AM
there is a wait list for HPDE 1. much to my surprise that level got filled b4 i even knew they were takin REG for it! ill be in HPDE 2 which isnt full yet, so i lucked out.

dont worry, if u cant make it to lime rock. i am most excited for thunderbolt at NJMP this august, thats the one thats gonna be huge. and i may also go to watkins glen in july, i just dont kno how thta will pan out financially....i saved for lime rock and njmp and nothing else....

good luck gettin in tho, its great to see other members at a trackday. last yr i saw chaos and willthethrill at pocono.....

012.5RS
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
i really wanna get into hpde this year after my swap. im really excited.

alwaysinboost
02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
^^^ its the most fun you can have in your car with your cloths on.

Jlb725
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm going to Pocono on March 28th... did anyone else sign up?
- Jim

alwaysinboost
03-10-2008, 08:04 AM
^^ I'm signed up for the 28th.

Jlb725
03-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Very nice, what are you running?
- Jim

alwaysinboost
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
^ as long as the weather is good I'm bringing the Z06. PM sent.

kunt_masha
03-21-2008, 12:20 AM
im subscribin to this thread... im on the wait list for a buying a vehicle first

but then id love to try out some road course events

NOPSTNS
03-26-2008, 11:54 PM
A little piece of advice for those going to trackdays that are far away....plan to take a night at a hotel. i forgot this aspect while doing my budget for the trackday i have at lime rock april 12th...i just spent 200 dollars on 2 nights....the friday before, and checkout the day after.....i mapquested lime rock and its almost 4 hrs away and if i wanna be at the track mounting my r comps by 9 am theres no way in hell im leavin my house at 5 and then racing all day, then driving home that night...

please think about it when ur going far distances for trackdays. food, gas, and lodgings.....

NOPSTNS
04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
double post ftw...

New jersey motorsports park has a new video on their site, they were on the news recently showing their progress and how well they r going,. they are going to be opening the tunderbolt track for public events (HPDE and such) the first week of august, which, o by the way, is the scheduled trackday for NASA / pda, the same evnt im going to, so mark ur calendars and be one of the first peopkle to drive on the already lengendary Thunderbolt raceway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

NOPSTNS
04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
tri post, i deserve bannage!

ok...
this saturday was my first run at lime rock park, NASA / PDA had a HPDE there and i went. it was awesome.
we did 4 sessions for each group, 20 minutes each, well place throughout the day so u neevr sat for more than 20 mins.

i was group 2 which is intermediate skill leevl and they also had group 1 running which were novices.

my first two runs i had an instructor ride with me to show me the racing line and suggest braking points and blah blah blah. after the second run he signed off on me and let me run out on my own. this third run was my best and my favorite. i got sent out first and the guy behind me lost control and so that gave me a big gap ahead of number 3 guy so i was basically out on the track alone.

then when i came barellin down the straight i saw a silver lotus exige roll out of the pits and i came flyin towards him as fast asi could. i wanted to see how well ic ould stick with an exige on such a tight and twisty course.

the exige was completely stock and i have coilovers, big brake kit and r comps so i felt i had a better than normal chance of at least staying with him.

while i enevr closed the gap, he also enevr lost me. i was consistently 5-6 cars behind him for about 4 laps and was very proud of sticking with him. i had a few friends come to lime rock and see me race and so i had a few witnesses to my great run. sadly, about 4 laps into our chase a miata came between us by jumping out onto the striaght from pit lane and he caused me some traffic to which i enevr caught back to the lotus.

the event runs as a "point-by" system where i normally cant pass a guy unless he points me to go by....so i lost the exige, the miata ended up loosing control and sliding off the course, knocking off a cone whihc was a great braking reference for me...and threw away my chance of finding the lotus again.

all in all it was a great event and would love to race back at lime rock anytime. it is a great course for a car like the rx8, very technical with lost of combination turns and it really benefits a "momentum" car like mine. i got to hold a lot of speed thru the turns unlike other car would needed to lift or even brake bc of their cars natural setup. my cars natural design allows it to change direction rapidly and helps with left/right turns that go back and fourth, like lime rock!

heres a list of some cars at the event...my friend mark tooka few shots and has video but knowing him itll be ages b4 i load them...

Ferrari F430
Porsche GT3 (997)
lotus elises/exige
multiple corvettes from base c5s to new z06s
evos
stis
wrxs
350z
multiple gens of the 240sx, some turbo
R32's , two of whcih were HEAVILY modified
more miatas than i could count
M3's
new M5

the list goes on and on....fantastic cars, great food, great driving, i learn A LOT about handling my car at speed and learned how great R comps are....great on the street but their true potential can only be shown on a real road course after they get real hot!

i learned even more than i did last year racing at pocono and cant wait for my NEXT trackday!

CHAOS
04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
sounds efffing awesome frank. im jealous.

alwaysinboost
04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
sounds like you had a great time. couple of my buddies were there but I didn't make the short list. Ohh well, maybe next time.

BMS
04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
i wish i was there with you. i can't wait to see what my rx8 can do. Oh yeah, Do you still want your race exhaust made? Now that our viper is down for a couple of event im going to try to big my car to the events.

uurxin
04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
omfg i have been waiting years.. once i heard that they the guys who own VIR were building a world class track within a couple of hours of us.. i was floored.. i cant wait to get some time on it..

only down side is track renting fee .. is the highest in the country.. but i think it may be worth it when its all said and done..

SuperMan_is_Bac
05-07-2008, 10:13 PM
i wanna run my bike..