PDA

View Full Version : VW/Audi software from Unitronic

Verocious
02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Unitronic software is now here!

Hey guys and gals

We are thinking about adding Unitronic to out tuning lineup and would like to know who is interested in this software. This software is for VW/Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo and most other Euro makes. Currently Unitronic offers flashes for just about every VW/Audi with a standard or Larger turbo. This includeds TDi's. We would be mainly focusing on the VW/Audi's in the beginning.

Here is a list of engine/ecu's that are currently tuneable.

VAG Module Supports:

EDC15
VAG 1.9L TDI / TDI PD
VAG 1.4L TDI PD
VAG 2.5L TDI
VAG 1.2L TDI PD
VAG 1.4L TDI PD

EDC16
VAG 1.9L PD TDI
VAG 2.0L PD TDI
VAG 3.0L PD TDI
VAG 4.0L PD TDI
VAG 5.0L PD TDI

M3.8.x/M5.9.x
VAG 1.8L NA
VAG 2.0L NA
VAG 1.8T 20V
VAG 2.3L NA

ME7
VAG 1.8L NA
VAG 1.8T 20V
VAG 2.3L NA
VAG 2.4L NA
VAG 2.5L NA
VAG 2.8L VR6 NA
VAG 3.2L VR6 NA
VAG W8 4.0L NA
VAG V6 3.0L NA
VAG 2.7L BI-TURBO
VAG W8 4.2L NA
VAG 3.7L NA
VAG 4.5L NA

MED9
VAG 2.0L TFSI / FSIVAG Module Supports:

Andy

DropTopChevy
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Would you guys be doing anything for the 2.8 passat V6? No turbo :(

Verocious
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Yes, we would be able to tune just about any VW/Audi motor.

SmokeyBandit
02-06-2008, 05:41 PM
you have your work cut out because when people think chip tuning for VW's....

they think:
APR
GIAC
Revo

when it comes to TDIs....
Rocketchip
Aligator

deb38
02-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Unitronic tune for a gt25 or gt28 s4?

DropTopChevy
02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
I have been looking at GIAC for a while now, but haven't bought one yet. PES tuning also has a chip out but their hp and torque gains just seems a little too much for a chip on the 2.8. So as of right now I'm looking around and trying to get other peoples opinions before I buy any chip.

naDintheHat
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
hmm.. so this possible on the 2.0L na (ABA)? if so any idea on what i would be looking at for it?

Verocious
02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
you have your work cut out because when people think chip tuning for VW's....

they think:
APR
GIAC
Revo

when it comes to TDIs....
Rocketchip
Aligator

The main issue I have with the standard VW/Audi reflash is that there is normally only one flash available for a particular setup. That is not saying you can not switch between octane levels, boost levels etc. There is no way you can have one flash work for every car in the nation. There is a huge difference in fuel formulations just on the East Coast, not to mention across the country. Also, no two cars are the same, even with the same bolt ons. I have tuned countless Subaru with similar setups and have never had the mapping come out the same. With that being said I will get to my actual point. As far as I know Unitronic is the only company currently working on end user tuning software. It is not available yet, but very shortly. This means that you bring me your car and I tune your car for its setup. Not using a map someone made in California to run in a car on the East Coast that is close to your setup. I will actually tune your car for your particular setup.

Just about any motor configuration from VW/Audi will be tuneable. I really dont want to start talking price yet on the reflashes as this is only a feeler currently.

Andy

dwl137
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I've talked to a few people that have been flashed with Unitronic and every one of them seems very happy with the results. Most charts I've seen show them to be on par if not higher outputs than the other companies. I'd say go for it since there really aren't many places that do it. Last I checked the closest was NY. I'm currently not flashed by any company, so I think the more options available the better.

NJGOAT
02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I would be all over this. I just picked up my 2.7T A6 and have been debating the mod path to go with. I came from the LSx world where custom tuning is everywhere and is the preferred method. I have just never 100% trusted canned tunes that are the same for every car. Especially when you get into varying levels of bolt-ons, there is no way a canned tune is right.

The other big thing for VW/Audi guys is Tiptronic transmission programming. I bought an auotmatic as this will eventually be the wife's car and I do a TON of city driving. From what I've read the trans' are very strong, but need some serious re-programming. GIAC currently offers a chip solution and so does VAST Performance. The VAST solution is new but is supposed to be waaayyy better than the GIAC one. Would you be able to tune the trans TCU's as well?

If you do go ahead with the software, I am more than willing to let you play with my car....it's still under warranty until June, lol.

Verocious
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
That is a very good question about the Tiptronic transmissions. I will contact Unitronic and see what they say.

dwl137
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
The reason the companies go with a basic tune for all cars for VW/Audi is because the Bosch ECU's are capable of adjusting themselves to keep the car running well. From everything I've read, mainly on the Bosch ME units, is that they're quite advanced. I agree though that nothing compares to a custom tune, it's just not common on the VW/Audi scene.

leg
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
do u have software for a gt30 on a 97 a4 1.8?

Verocious
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
The reason the companies go with a basic tune for all cars for VW/Audi is because the Bosch ECU's are capable of adjusting themselves to keep the car running well. From everything I've read, mainly on the Bosch ME units, is that they're quite advanced. I agree though that nothing compares to a custom tune, it's just not common on the VW/Audi scene.

The Bosch ECU's do not have any more adaptability than 90% of the stock ECU's out there. They actually have less ability to learn than a Subaru ECU form what I have seen. I was a factory Mercedes Benz tech for 5 years and factory BMW tech for a year so I have plenty of experience with the Bosch control units. Once you go into open loop in the ECU, there is very little if any learning that takes place. Subarus use a very active ignition system. Where as most other ECU's use fixed timing numbers and wait for knock to occur to remove timing. This is in no was a learning feature. Just a reaction to a cause.

Verocious
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
do u have software for a gt30 on a 97 a4 1.8?

We do not currently have the software, but when we get on board with Unitronic we will be able to tune that setup.

RyanG
02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Andy,

In all honesty I would go for it. Even though I wont touch a VW it would be an awesome option considering the amount of VW's in the area that have no where to turn for tuning.

Verocious
02-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the input Ryan. I have a soft spot in my heart for the VW's. Its what I cut my teeth on. My first car was a 84 GTI. I have had 4 other MKI GTI's, a 16v Scirocco, an 8 and 16 valve MKII, I skipped the MKIII's, then moved to a VR6 MKIV. The MKIV was my last VW. My favorite VW to date was when I combined my 16v Scirocco and one of my 84 GTI's. That car was a blast. It had the 16v motor, brakes and interior. I would really like to build one again.

cmr076
02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
would chipping a 2.8 NA really show much gains? i know the giac tune only give like 10(ish) hp and less torque...

Verocious
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
would chipping a 2.8 NA really show much gains? i know the giac tune only give like 10(ish) hp and less torque...

It would really depend on what is done to the car and what octane fuel you normally run.

cmr076
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
the only problem is they make NOTHING for the car that i have found; no exhausts, intakes, or even short shifters :bigeek: i'd be willing to chip it but the cost to benefit would have to be there and at 600 dollars through AWE for 10 hp it dosent seem worth it.

Verocious
02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
the only problem is they make NOTHING for the car that i have found; no exhausts, intakes, or even short shifters :bigeek: i'd be willing to chip it but the cost to benefit would have to be there and at 600 dollars through AWE for 10 hp it dosent seem worth it.

What year is your car?

dwl137
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
The Bosch ECU's do not have any more adaptability than 90% of the stock ECU's out there. They actually have less ability to learn than a Subaru ECU form what I have seen. I was a factory Mercedes Benz tech for 5 years and factory BMW tech for a year so I have plenty of experience with the Bosch control units. Once you go into open loop in the ECU, there is very little if any learning that takes place. Subarus use a very active ignition system. Where as most other ECU's use fixed timing numbers and wait for knock to occur to remove timing. This is in no was a learning feature. Just a reaction to a cause.

Interesting. I was always told the Bosch ME9 unit for the 2.0T FSI motor was pretty advanced compared to other ECU's. I'm pretty impressed with the TCU in the DSG and it's ability to adapt to driving styles if nothing else. Not sure who manufactures that though. I'd imagine there is some reason for a basic tune being sold by all the companies instead of car specific tunes like most other cars. It could just be for profit reasons for all I know

dwl137
02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
I'd say go for it. I know for me the closest tuning option is over an hour away, and that's for APR. to get GIAC or REVO i'd have to drive around 2 hours. The more options the better. I'm sure you'd have no problems getting people to go get tuned there. Heck, I'd even make the drive if Unitronic's software is good.

deb38
02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
they make exhausts and intakes for the 2.8...

PEStuning has their supercharger kit as well.

Verocious
02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Interesting. I was always told the Bosch ME9 unit for the 2.0T FSI motor was pretty advanced compared to other ECU's. I'm pretty impressed with the TCU in the DSG and it's ability to adapt to driving styles if nothing else. Not sure who manufactures that though. I'd imagine there is some reason for a basic tune being sold by all the companies instead of car specific tunes like most other cars. It could just be for profit reasons for all I know

I really cant speak about the new FSI control units. I have not had any dealings with them. But I would imagine that they are more advanced then the older control units. Direct injection fueling definatlly has different requirements then standard injection does.

I have a couple of ideas on the reason that there is only basic tunes available. One is that no one has fully cracked the ECU's coding. They might not have full access to the ECU yet. So they can only provide limited tuning ability. Anyone I ask in the VW/Audi reflash community is always pretty vague about what is actually available inside the ECU for tuning. There also might not be any good GUI's for there software. If it is still in hex/dex format than it would reduce the amount of end users. I for one hate to have to use hex/dex.

DropTopChevy
02-19-2008, 03:38 PM
they make exhausts and intakes for the 2.8...

PEStuning has their supercharger kit as well.

Who? I wanna get some stuff for my 2.8.

Verocious
02-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Here is a link to the supercharger from PES. http://www.pes-tuning.com/

DropTopChevy
02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Here is a link to the supercharger from PES. http://www.pes-tuning.com/

I know about the supercharger. They keep trying to sell it for $3295 on ebay and it is PES tuning. I'm looking for exhaust for my 2.8 or even an intake.

vDevilu
02-21-2008, 03:55 PM

:iagree:

Well for the wife's anyway

Though. I am probably make my own intake

Supersprint makes an exhaust and headers. Headers are pricey though.

Jetex has an exhaust and I believe TT.

As for Tuning. I am for more software tuners. As much as I like my Rocketchip tune for my TDI. Jeff is hard to come by. Only way to get him to tune ya, is host a meet/GTG yourself.

Verocious
02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Everyone,

We are now set-up with Unitronic!

We have added pretty extensive info to the website regarding applications, so please feel free to check out our site regarding your specific car. Click the link below, and then click on your make of car.

Unitronic has applications for VW, Audi, Porsche, and Volvo

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/tuning

Also, here is a basic explanation of how Unitronic defines their "Stages"

Stage 1 = Stock car running 91 octane (1 bar/14 psi)
Stage 1+ = Stock car running 93 octane (for 1.8T's file has th CAT delete for exhaust/downpipe)
Stage 2 = 93 octane software for CAI, Exhaust, Downpipe
Stage 2+ = ko4 conversion, 380cc injectors, 3" MAF housing ~ also, 2.0T FSI S3 ko4 conversion w/ S3 injectors
Stage 3 = for big turbo applications running 415cc, 440cc, 550cc, 630cc, or 870cc injectors on a variety of turbos and configurations in 1.8T, VR6T, 3.2L, 2.7T

We are also running a special, where for $50 plus the cost of your flash, we will baseline your car, flash it, and then dyno it afterwards so you can see your gains.

Tim

vDevilu
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I noticed. Since you have programs for us TDIs. I will spread the word.

deb38
02-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I am pretty sure Borla makes an exhaust for the 2.8

If not, all you have to do is pick up a Borla muffler and take it to an exhaust shop. With regards to intakes, I would assume you could pick an after market dry flow filter that is larger than the stock version. you can pick one up for eBay, just make sure you get the right size one to hook up to the stock intake pipe.

DropTopChevy
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
:iagree:

Well for the wife's anyway

Though. I am probably make my own intake

Supersprint makes an exhaust and headers. Headers are pricey though.

Jetex has an exhaust and I believe TT.

As for Tuning. I am for more software tuners. As much as I like my Rocketchip tune for my TDI. Jeff is hard to come by. Only way to get him to tune ya, is host a meet/GTG yourself.

The headers are for the 4 motion only. :(

I am pretty sure Borla makes an exhaust for the 2.8

If not, all you have to do is pick up a Borla muffler and take it to an exhaust shop. With regards to intakes, I would assume you could pick an after market dry flow filter that is larger than the stock version. you can pick one up for eBay, just make sure you get the right size one to hook up to the stock intake pipe.

Techtonics has a kit with a Borla muffler for $700 sold by AWE.
I have a cone filter with a heat shield, but I am looking for a car specific kit.