PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to hardcore?

foss
01-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I just started listening to it recently and I'm trying to find some good bands.

So far I've listened to:

KSE
Trivium
Bullet for my valentine
atreyu
as i lay dying
enter shikari
all that remains

james_ls
01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
From Autumn to Ashes.

Slayer.

August Burns Red.

From First to Last.

Theres a huge list...iTunes is hating on me right now though...

importpower99
01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Coal Chamber-
Five Finger death punch
Mudvayne
slipnot
mushroom head

foss
01-17-2008, 08:40 PM
i like august burns red i think im going to see them play with as i lay dying next week.

TGilb2007
01-17-2008, 08:43 PM
ive dabbled.

KSE
As I Lay Dying
Beneath the Sky

a couple others..... not really my scene though

ToTheIX's
01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
wow somebody else has listened to enter shikari.......dont know if id call them hardcore....but i like them

bmatyeah
01-17-2008, 08:50 PM
the minor times
leavenworth

are two local bands that are amazing. (dont think local crap both the bands have been around the us a few times)

i listen to champion alot thanks to justinlansdale

doug
01-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I just started listening to it recently and I'm trying to find some good bands.

So far I've listened to:

KSE
Trivium
Bullet for my valentine
atreyu
as i lay dying
enter shikari
all that remains

pretty sure those bands.... ...aren't hardcore.

JET02WRX
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Lots of great bands mentioned... however not to be too much of a stickler none of those bands are really "hardcore" bands. They fit more into the "metalcore" genre. Although i don't know much newer hardcore, closer matches would be: Sick of It All, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge,.... There isn't much out these days I would consider hardcore. Seems like metalcore as a whole has pretty much taken over.

TROLL
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Lots of great bands mentioned... however not to be too much of a stickler none of those bands are really "hardcore" bands. They fit more into the "metalcore" genre. Although i don't know much newer hardcore, closer matches would be: Sick of It All, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge,.... There isn't much out these days I would consider hardcore. Seems like metalcore as a whole has pretty much taken over.

ha yeah i dont know a lot of the bands that everyone else listed but i guess i'm an old guy cause the stuff you just mentioned is some of what i used to listen to back in the day... often grouped together at shows with the harder punk that i was a fan of. i guess i'm old...

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:05 PM
yea most of the bands listed arent hardcore. its mostly what people would call metal core. hardcore is like guns up, have heart, sinking ship, shipwreck, earth crisis, blacklisted, verse and other bands in that nature.

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:06 PM

and the bands mentioned here which are what some people call the older hardcore or fathers of hardcore as some people as said before.

foss
01-17-2008, 09:06 PM
pretty sure those bands.... ...aren't hardcore.

whatever man, there are so many genres and interbred mixed genres its hard to label.

JET02WRX
01-17-2008, 09:09 PM
and the bands mentioned here which are what some people call the older hardcore or fathers of hardcore as some people as said before.

Well I could get all John Cusak-y on you and say....thats really "Post-Hardcore" but I guess saying older hardcore implies that enough.... I just watched "Hi-Fidelity" so i'm in the mood to discuss music...haha

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
haha yea but post hardcore is another genre in itself. but thats hard to determine what people would call post hardcore. the old hadcore bands are still hardcore bands. post hardcore in my opinion would be bands that sing and then scream or do some screaming during their songs. some agree with me and some dont. and that movie is great.

xEJ20x
01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Converge
The Hope Conspiracy

JET02WRX
01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
whatever man, there are so many genres and interbred mixed genres its hard to label.

maybe with a few of those bands..but your really can't confuse KSE for hardcore. Unless of course you've never really listened to either, or are only a casual listener.. I could see how the screaming could throw someone off.

xEJ20x
01-17-2008, 09:15 PM

But epic metal is so different than power metal!

:mrgreen:

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Converge
The Hope Conspiracy

+1 with this response.

drew
01-17-2008, 09:16 PM
hope conspiracy, have heart, crime and stereo

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:18 PM
i could give a whole list of death metal, metal core, hardcore, pop punk and others genres in that area of music if you really wanted.

JET02WRX
01-17-2008, 09:19 PM
haha yea but post hardcore is another genre in itself. but thats hard to determine what people would call post hardcore. the old hadcore bands are still hardcore bands. post hardcore in my opinion would be bands that sing and then scream or do some screaming during their songs. some agree with me and some dont. and that movie is great.

Agreed... I think the problem is people don't understand that the whole Hardcore/Punk thing wasn't just about the music.... It was a movement. Most bands that tout themselves as being in that genre have lost sight of the soul that the entire genre was founded on. If anyone wants to learn more, there is a great documentary out there called "American Hardcore: The history of punk rock 1980-86"

foss
01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
yeah i guess alot of these bands i like arent even hardcore theyre metalcore or mathcore or deathcore or moshcore or suckpeniscore. god damnit i really hate musical classification, it pisses me off. im trying to find more bands with a sound like as i lay dying, whom im guessing is metalcore? help me music experts!!

05suby
i agree jet

05suby
yeah i guess alot of these bands i like arent even hardcore theyre metalcore or mathcore or deathcore or moshcore or suckpeniscore. god damnit i really hate musical classification, it pisses me off. im trying to find more bands with a sound like as i lay dying, whom im guessing is metalcore? help me music experts!!

yea as i lay dying would be metal core

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
i basically put those genres into one thing. underground rock music. **** your everyday person wont listen too.

JET02WRX
01-17-2008, 09:23 PM

YAY Sarcasm! My day is complete.

96Stang
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM

one dead three wounded
a dozen furies
avenged sevenfold (sounding the seventh trumpet and waking the fallen...their new **** sucks bad)
poison the well
the bled (more fast, less heavy i guess)
bury your dead (you will really like this i am sure)
everytime i die
a perfect murder
unearth

to name a few like what you want

foss
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
one dead three wounded
a dozen furies
avenged sevenfold (sounding the seventh trumpet and waking the fallen...their new **** sucks bad)
poison the well
the bled (more fast, less heavy i guess)
bury your dead (you will really like this i am sure)
everytime i die
a perfect murder
unearth

to name a few like what you want

alright cool man, ill give em a listen

importpower99
01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Five finger death punch
mudvayne
slipknot and mushroom head isn't hardcore?
Right!

96Stang
01-17-2008, 09:32 PM
alright cool man, ill give em a listen

yeah definitly do...bury your dead is one of the best out right now in this genre...whatever we are calling it lol

there are other good ones around and there is some pretty decent local stuff like one dead three wounded are from around here and there is a band called passion from the philly area..their lead singer used to work or still does at a wawa on cottman ave lol

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
seriously tho if anyone wants a huge list of music like this im willing to give you one thru pm.

GottalovetheWagon
01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Blacklisted, One Dead Three Wounded, Pulling Teeth, Pissed Jeans, Paint it Black(old school), Cold World, Passion, Reign Supreme, Gennero, Meltdown, Comeback Kid and so many more a couple metal bands i named but they are associated with hardcore bands

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
if anyone is also into death metal or deathcore check out my friends band Myself My Enemy.

JET02WRX
01-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Five finger death punch
mudvayne
slipknot and mushroom head isn't hardcore?
Right!

No, they aren't. Without getting too silly with the classifications... Slipknot and Mushroom head are a lot closer to death metal than hardcore. The differences fall in the 'type' of guitar riffs and singing styles.

xEJ20x
im trying to find more bands with a sound like as i lay dying, whom im guessing is metalcore? help me music experts!!

Trivium sounds a bit like As I Lay Dying...

This is a bit more math/methodical metal....but listen to some Mastodon.
Especially from the Leviathan cd.

96Stang
seriously tho if anyone wants a huge list of music like this im willing to give you one thru pm.

i would take some other suggestions of bands like these...ive heard of alot and listened to alot as well.......

one more to my list that somehow slipped my mind....best girl singer out there in this genre is from Walls of Jericho

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
No, they aren't. Without getting too silly with the classifications... Slipknot and Mushroom head are a lot closer to death metal than hardcore. The differences fall in the 'type' of guitar riffs and singing styles.

i would also call mushroom head and slipknot harder versions of nu metal

JET02WRX
if anyone is also into death metal or deathcore check out my friends band Myself My Enemy.

Linky?

streetAssasin96
dry-kill logic, hatebreed, lamb of god <-- some good ones IMO

Lamb of gods old **** is real good. lead singer sounds like satan

GottalovetheWagon
oo yeah and cant represent philly hardcore with out some shattered realm

96Stang
01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Blacklisted, One Dead Three Wounded, Pulling Teeth, Pissed Jeans, Paint it Black(old school), Cold World, Passion, Reign Supreme, Gennero, Meltdown, Comeback Kid and so many more a couple metal bands i named but they are associated with hardcore bands

terry i saw you in here and knew you were gonna come out with odtw too man....those dudes rock and put on an amazing show

importpower99
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM

WTF?? You're gonna have to explain that because I have no idea what your talkin about. Please explain with examples!! ( thought they were all the same)

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
here is the link to myself my enemy's myspace

http://www.myspace.com/myselfmyenemy

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
oo yeah and cant represent philly hardcore with out some shattered realm

i prob see you a lot of philly shows then hahaha. especially at the church.

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
terry i saw you in here and knew you were gonna come out with odtw too man....those dudes rock and put on an amazing show

to bad they broke up tho

96Stang
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
to bad they broke up tho

yeah that was heartbreaking to me...only saw them once but it was an amazing show...it was in some basement hall thing at drexel with passion and august burns red or something like that

GottalovetheWagon
01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
to bad they broke up tho

aint that the truth....

GottalovetheWagon
01-17-2008, 09:44 PM
i havent been to any shows in a long time but i wouldnt doubt i ive seen you down there before

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
yea im usually always down there

05suby
01-17-2008, 09:53 PM
96stang i will send you that list in a little

bmatyeah
01-17-2008, 10:08 PM

Gennero? The guys from philly? They are not hardcore.

cold world haha, hilarious.

oh yeah on my list before i forgot to ad letxdown and mother of mercy.

05suby
01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
oh and if you want to see a live video of myself my enemy here it is. this is from when they played at the champ in lemoyne, pa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E6ZuBE-8sM

bmatyeah
01-17-2008, 10:15 PM
The champ is a sick venue, ive seen the commercials (last show) and CDC/bangarang! there

martang
01-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Job for a Cowboy
Drop Dead Gorgeous
ABACABB
As Blood Runs Black
Heavy Heavy Low Low
Molotov Solution
The Devil Wears Prada
Norma Jean

TGilb2007
01-17-2008, 10:55 PM
yeah definitly do...bury your dead is one of the best out right now in this genre...whatever we are calling it lol

Bury Your Dead is touring with HellYeah and Nonpoint (oddly enough). Either that, or Ill Nino. I forgot which one.

EDIT - Yea, they are on that tour, plays in Sayerville, but ill be at the Providence, RI show.

Also, Parkway Avenue (I think thats it) is another decent band

drew
01-18-2008, 12:55 AM

i just went to paint it blacks record release show, got a 7" vinyl for free

also got a bruise on my neck/back from some FSU ******

Buster
01-18-2008, 01:11 AM
We really must be friends George.

All I've got is some of the stuff I used to listen to in high school. Hardcore is too broad a term. I think old punk like jet02wrx. Biscuts FTMFW! You want metal?

Converge
Hopesfall
Poison the well
this day forward
blood brothers
A static lullaby
everytime I die
From Autumn to ashes
eighteen visions
walls of jericho
Nora
most precious blood

blah blah blah lol.

And anyone local, say bucks county remember henous anus? Fawkin roight! haha

jh95zenki
01-20-2008, 12:50 AM
i like august burns red i think im going to see them play with as i lay dying next week.

I'm planning on being there as well. I love august burns red.
here's the heavier stuff that I've been listening to:

Metalcore:
August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
Haste The Day
Inhale Exhale
Mortal Treason
Unearth

Screamo:
Cry of the Afflicted
Underoath (not a whole lot)

Metal:
All That Remains
***Bleed the Sky
God Forbid
The Haunted
***The Human Abstract
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Meshuggah
In Flames
Opeth
Silent Civilian
Trivium (old stuff, new stuff sucks)

Prog Metal:
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Porcupine Tree
Kamelot

***have to check out

I don't really listen to a lot of screamo/Metalcore. I'm more of a metal guy. To whoever said Slipknot was hardcore....:roll:
I've heard of Enter Shikari too. I saw their music video on IMF once and thought it was pretty good. I liked the techno being integrated into semi-metalcore.

cxrock16
01-20-2008, 10:21 AM
come to my concert this friday at brenda and jerrys youll like it its right off airport rd.. but anyways good hardcore band listen to
the black dahlia murder
gwen stacey
the devil wears prada
vanna
emmure
haste the day
a skylit drive
bless the fall
the jonnah veil
mysery signals
from autumn to ashes
and then some post hardcore
silverstein
before their eyes
four letter lie
funeral for a friend
alesana
senses fail
underoath
chiodos
saosin(their old stuff)

goodfella732
01-21-2008, 02:37 AM
e-town concrete
fury of five
boxcutter
earth crisis
nj bloodline
snapcase
hatebreed
strife
one life crew

JET02WRX
01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Holy crap how could i have forgotten Snapcase and Strife? Good call.

xEJ20x
01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
e-town concrete
fury of five
boxcutter
earth crisis
nj bloodline
snapcase
hatebreed
strife
one life crew

E-Town is good stuff...:mrgreen:

pearl
01-21-2008, 01:53 PM
august burns red
means
daughters
bury your dead

:)

Ender81
01-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Coal Chamber-
Five Finger death punch
Mudvayne
slipnot
mushroom head

Yeah this is more along the lines of what I think of when I think hardcore. Plus bands like

Fear Factory
Hatebreed
Static-X
System of a Down
Slayer
Pantera
Ministry
Deftones
Cradle of Filth
Killswitch Engage
Ill Nino
Strife
Sepultura
Spineshank
:supz:

I tried to stay a little bit more mainstream but definately staying away from some of this new crap that is like Hardcore's answer to Emo.

jh95zenki
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
^^^Those bands really aren't hardcore.
Hardcore is fast punk music with screaming.
They're more NuMetal than hardcore/metalcore.

TGilb2007
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Has anyone heard/seen Bury Your Dead w/ their new singer? I am curious as to how they are going to be.

drew
01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah this is more along the lines of what I think of when I think hardcore. Plus bands like

Fear Factory
Hatebreed
Static-X
System of a Down
Slayer
Pantera
Ministry
Deftones
Cradle of Filth
Killswitch Engage
Ill Nino
Strife
Sepultura
Spineshank
:supz:

I tried to stay a little bit more mainstream but definately staying away from some of this new crap that is like Hardcore's answer to Emo.

none of the bands you qouted, nor the ones you listed are hardcore

this (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8151812) is hardcore

redline
01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
The one and only!

Blood for Blood

roccobladr
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
when i think hardcore i think like unearth and maybe some boy sets fire

stuff like killswitch and as i lay dying id say is more of what metal is considered now. but honestly, as long as you are rockin out who cares?

jh95zenki
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
when i think hardcore i think like unearth and maybe some boy sets fire

stuff like killswitch and as i lay dying id say is more of what metal is considered now. but honestly, as long as you are rockin out who cares?

Killswitch Engage is considered metal
As I Lay Dying and unearth are considered metalcore

The band Drew posted is considered hardcore.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. I even used to think bands like Lamb of God were hardcore:roll::mrgreen:

05suby
01-22-2008, 03:46 AM
have heart is mad good.

drew
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
yeah i love have heart, saw them at paint it blacks record release party at the church a couple weeks ago.

killswitch, although not hardcore, is ****ing fun as hell in GH3 lol.

CHAOS
01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
i guess im not into hardcore... lol but some of the bands mentioned in this thread make me want to put a gun in my mouth.

pearl
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
someone will always have their own definition of hardcore :P

igo4bmx
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
e-town concrete
fury of five
boxcutter
earth crisis
nj bloodline
snapcase
hatebreed
strife
one life crew

damn old skool hardcore man!
i listened and still listen to all these bands
dont' forget
out to win (aka mushmouth)
terror
madball

pearl
01-22-2008, 12:16 PM
terror :thumbup:

goodfella732
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
damn old skool hardcore man!
i listened and still listen to all these bands
dont' forget
out to win (aka mushmouth)
terror
madball

**** yeah man. Thats when hardcore was awesome. Can't forget Sheer Terror, Path of Resistance, Warzone, Cause for Alarm. Oh man I could go on and on. I remember being 13 and skating around asbury park and running into the guys from e-town who were also skating at the park they had. Gave us abunch of stickers and demo tapes.

Renegade_
01-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Gorilla Biscuits
Minor Threat
Gang Green
Leavenworth
Red Tops
Barricade
Wisdom in Chains
Terror
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Bad Religion (yes, look at their old stuff)
Sick of it All

These are the CDs I have in my car right now

Who here is going to the philly show on the 8th of feb at first unitarian?

Ender81
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
none of the bands you qouted, nor the ones you listed are hardcore

this (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8151812) is hardcore

None of what you have said nor what you have linked make me give a **** :mrgreen:

Please allow me to quote myself
"this is more along the lines of what I think of when I think hardcore." See what I am saying is that is what I think of. If I'm wrong oh well.

I will say though the three dozen tags for everything drives me nuts. Punk, Hardcore, Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Metalcore, Screaming nutcore (That's when you get caught in your zipper while playing the guitar). Any more specific it's just going to be the bands name with core added to the end. Now if you will excuse I need to go workout to some Hatebreedcore :-p

Renegade_
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
The term hardcore should always be paired with the term punk if you are talking about the true OG stuff from back in the day and what few bands follow that design now. Hardcore when paired with metal is something else.

P.S. This isn't to say anyone is better than the other, there just is a divide I feel.

Ender81
01-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Renegade totally kick ass that you have classic Bad Religion in your car hahaha

05suby
01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Gorilla Biscuits
Minor Threat
Gang Green
Leavenworth
Red Tops
Barricade
Wisdom in Chains
Terror
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Bad Religion (yes, look at their old stuff)
Sick of it All

These are the CDs I have in my car right now

Who here is going to the philly show on the 8th of feb at first unitarian?

i will most likely be there.

poisonivory
01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
^^ my cousins old (semi re-united) band Little league/Kill Verona used to play shows at Unitarian all the time. Bue yea i listen to it and have many friends and family in local bands...Kill verona, Blacklisted, punishment are all dudes i grew up around.

I'm a family guy now so I don't get out to shows like I did when i was younger, but I'm still cool with all the local guys. I met a lot of them through my cousin and being a graffiti artist. Most people think graffifit artists are thugs...you'd be surprised how many huge graffiti artists hail from the hardcore crowd.

and renegade, you are 100% right about the "Genre" itself.

omgjacki
01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm saying Rage Against the Machine.

If they don't count, then oh well.

drew
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
None of what you have said nor what you have linked make me give a **** :mrgreen:

Please allow me to quote myself
"this is more along the lines of what I think of when I think hardcore." See what I am saying is that is what I think of. If I'm wrong oh well.

I will say though the three dozen tags for everything drives me nuts. Punk, Hardcore, Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Metalcore, Screaming nutcore (That's when you get caught in your zipper while playing the guitar). Any more specific it's just going to be the bands name with core added to the end. Now if you will excuse I need to go workout to some Hatebreedcore :-p

just because it's what you "think of" when you hear hardcore doesn't make it right..

saying slipknot is hardcore is just really ignorant

Renegade_
01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
^^ my cousins old (semi re-united) band Little league/Kill Verona used to play shows at Unitarian all the time. Bue yea i listen to it and have many friends and family in local bands...Kill verona, Blacklisted, punishment are all dudes i grew up around.

I'm a family guy now so I don't get out to shows like I did when i was younger, but I'm still cool with all the local guys. I met a lot of them through my cousin and being a graffiti artist. Most people think graffifit artists are thugs...you'd be surprised how many huge graffiti artists hail from the hardcore crowd.

I've seen blacklisted twice, it was borderline riot each time. Good ****.

Jeff822
01-22-2008, 08:12 PM
As I Lay Dying < Anything from them is sick, 94 hours FTW.
Burnt By The Sun
Unearth
Bury Your Dead
After The Burial (new vocalist sucks ****)
Bleeding Through
Poison The Well (there new CD is ****ing gayyyy)
As Blood Runs Black
August Burns Red
All That Remains (The Darkened Heart Album is pretty sick)
Norma Jean (the older ****)
Theres so much more I can't thinkk right now those are just the ones off of the top of my head that stand out the most to me.

I dont care what people call it Hardcore, Metalcore there are to many genres I just know it's good music. Genres can suck a fat one.

igo4bmx
01-23-2008, 12:11 AM

is joe hc and punishment still around?

igo4bmx
01-23-2008, 12:40 AM
02/01/2008 07:00 PM - Trocadero w/ Divine Hersey / Five Finger Death Punch / Chimaira
1003 Arch St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107 - $16 ADV

discuss

justinlansdale
01-23-2008, 02:10 AM
wow, how did i miss this thread?!

i'm not too much into hardcore anymore but i used to be a huge fan. i play bass in a hardcore band (www.myspace.com/thedeclinepa). my other band BANGARANG! plays hardcore shows all the time and i guess you can consider us borderline hardcore. i've played a garage with blacklisted and played shows with pulling teeth/ringworm/cloak&dagger/etc...

i saw death before dishonor long before they got signed to bridge9 at a tiny church in chalfont circa 2001. i saw champion/set your goals at the same church three years later. sick of it all/terror/champion/with honor in '03 and got my ass handed to me. you can spot me in the front row in the lifetime music video for "airports".

anyone going to the hot water music reunion show on friday?!

Ender81
01-23-2008, 08:23 AM
just because it's what you "think of" when you hear hardcore doesn't make it right..

saying slipknot is hardcore is just really ignorant

Not realizing how little I care is really just ignorant.

Justin what kind of church is this lol.

poisonivory
01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
is joe hc and punishment still around?

last i heard they were touring the US doing some dates. Not so much anymore though. Joe seems to be doing more promoting asnd booking shows. Joe has his hand in a lot of other stuff besides playing music these days.....hes a family guy too.

But Joe HC is probably one of the staples of local hardcore music. He's a cool ass dude.

justinlansdale
01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Justin what kind of church is this lol.

haha, the first unitarian church in philly, it's an R5 booked venue (http://www.r5productions.com/).

last i heard they were touring the US doing some dates. Not so much anymore though. Joe seems to be doing more promoting asnd booking shows. Joe has his hand in a lot of other stuff besides playing music these days.....hes a family guy too.

But Joe HC is probably one of the staples of local hardcore music. He's a cool ass dude.

punishment broke up a while back and joe is now fronting shattered realm and of course running FSU philly chapter.

Ender81
01-23-2008, 12:56 PM
haha, the first unitarian church in philly, it's an R5 booked venue (http://www.r5productions.com/).

Wow that is awesome, I might make it down for a show or two there just to say I did lol.

poisonivory
01-23-2008, 01:28 PM

punishment broke up a while back and joe is now fronting shattered realm and of course running FSU philly chapter.

but just like kill verona, they played some shows for Jay Bush's (FSU) lawyer, bail fees and court costs from his most recent fiasco.

I grew up in the same neighborhood as a lot of the FSU heads...the philly chapter anyway. Anyone into the hardcore scene.. if you have never seen blacklisted, its def worth it.

justinlansdale
01-23-2008, 02:28 PM
but just like kill verona, they played some shows for Jay Bush's (FSU) lawyer, bail fees and court costs from his most recent fiasco.

I grew up in the same neighborhood as a lot of the FSU heads...the philly chapter anyway. Anyone into the hardcore scene.. if you have never seen blacklisted, its def worth it.

blacklisted is definitely one of the best bands in hardcore right now.

igo4bmx
01-23-2008, 02:50 PM

jay bush was my friend from hs 's cousin

poisonivory
01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
i grew up within blocks of the bush's and george (singer of blacklisted)..well grew up in one corner of Juniata.

whow as you friend from HS? Vinny? Mario?

99SL2_Modder
01-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally, the term hardcore was to talk about metal.

Not about what people attach it to nowadays.

But, back on topic, talk about what you like.

JET02WRX
01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally, the term hardcore was to talk about punk rock not metal.

Not about what people attach it to nowadays.

But, back on topic, talk about what you like.

Fixed it for ya. :mrgreen:

Renegade_
01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
If anyone wants to know a pretty good chronology of HC, read Steven Blush's Book, American Hardcore.

It's a good book, he just makes the arrogant assumption that HC ended in 1986. Pure HC, yes, maybe... I could see him arguing that point. But there are still bands which hold true to old roots (one of my favorite, Wisdom in Chains is one).

Ender81
01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
If anyone wants to know a pretty good chronology of HC, read Steven Blush's Book, American Hardcore.

It's a good book, he just makes the arrogant assumption that HC ended in 1986. Pure HC, yes, maybe... I could see him arguing that point. But there are still bands which hold true to old roots (one of my favorite, Wisdom in Chains is one).

good book, great documentary have you seen it?

Renegade_
01-24-2008, 03:35 PM
good book, great documentary have you seen it?
Yeah, I've seen it. I really think that the movie did a nice job with presenting other people's viewpoints whereas the book was purely his commentary overriding that of other peoples. The movie is a good supplement.

The decline of western civilization is another good movie to see and really highlights the diversity of what hardcore was back in the day. I gotta warn ya though, I don't want people watching this and thinking that this is what hardcore truly is. That is what it was... then. Unvalidating the progressions of a music culture based on nothing but time is dumb. The fun is still around and the ideas at the core remain.

Until all the kids are in the ground, don't let me hear you talk about how the heart changed with the sound. Props to leavenworth for those fantastic lyrics.

agoodall
01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
On Broken Wings
As I Lay Dying
August Burns Red
Unearth
Caliban
Between the Buried and Me
BYD
Hope Conspiracy
It Dies Today

Renegade_
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
When threads like these come around I am amazed at how many bands I have actually seen that so many people say they listen to. I didn't think I had gone to that many shows compared to other people but I guess I was wrong...

JET02WRX
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM

I didn't realize that was a book.. I saw the film documentary with the same name on A&E or Bravo or something. It was cool to see the interviews with some of the pioneers of the genre.

igo4bmx
01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
i grew up within blocks of the bush's and george (singer of blacklisted)..well grew up in one corner of Juniata.

whow as you friend from HS? Vinny? Mario?

mario and mike ericolono

Buster
02-01-2008, 02:10 AM
This is what I like, My total favorite band ever. Exit Ten.

I dont really know what you would call them, but I think its a great conglomeration and evolution of what music is now. Their new stuff has epic undertones, its just a shame that it takes 2 weeks to get the CDs here. Ive been out of the loop since highschool so if anyone can find me more like this it would be awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_-M4XCLEcQ&feature=related

3POINTONE4
02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
man, I am way late for this thread! any of you guys go to SOIA/madball on friday?