PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Trans Temp light....Need some help

Loserkidwac
01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Well I guy a work with came to me and said he is having some trouble with his 2002 Dodge Dakota Auto 2.9 v6 I believe...the trans temp light came on and he said it would pop out of overdrive...if he turned it off and restarted it I believe it would be fine...I told him to check the fluid but does anyone have some experience that could help us out, Im not really sure where to start I am searching the internet now to see if I can find a shop manual and some info, anything would be greatly appreciated, Thanks...Matt

scutzi128
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
I have not experience with Dakotas, but could it possibly be a temp sensor failure?

Loserkidwac
01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I have not experience with Dakotas, but could it possibly be a temp sensor failure?

I wish it was that simple he drove it home last night and said it sounded horrible and about every 100ft it would pop out of gear and he would have to pull over turn it off and restart it to go back in...needless its sitting at a shop right now:(

enigma
01-18-2008, 07:12 PM
3.9V6, similar to the 5.2 and 5.9 magnum blocks
Any transmission is seriously affected by heat, moreso the dodge's because of their heritage. The modern dodge transmissions,(up until the 4.7 and 5.7 and newer diesels) are direct decendants of the 70's stuff, internal parts changed for weight, and to reduce mass, this comes at a price, the trannny's are much less suceptable to bad fluid, or overheating.
If the trans is overheating, and popping out of OD, its already too late, he needs a re-build. the clutches are probally glazed, and the fluid is definitly shot.