PDA

View Full Version : Facelifted RX8 revealed **official changes listed**(R3 package A GO!)

NOPSTNS
01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
EPIC EDIT..........
the official changes have been listed by mazda north america.....all the previous stuff was basically a 90% good guess but some mechanical changes have been made that were not previous known....

complete list....

shortened final drive ratio from 4.44 to 4.77 for MT
shortened 1st and 2nd gears in MT
trapezoidal front strut bar
front strut mounting areas reincforced
rear suspension geometry reconfigured for enhanced grip
driveshaft rigidity improved
New electric metering oil pump (and relocated to top of engine)
3rd oil injector for each rotor housing added
oil filter relocated to under left front of engine
2 knock sensors (one per rotor, as opposed to just one above R2's trailing plug)
redesigned larger oil pan
larger fuel tank
larger exhaust pipes
new 6 speed trans (old unit tossed into trash, where it belongs)
new wheel designs
new instrument cluster with rolling redline (as seen in E46 M3)
new front and rear seats
auto up/down on both windows
new steering wheel with bluetooth
AUX input jack for ipod
redesigned longer oil dipstick with access panel
obvious exterior redesign (bumpers, headlamps, grille, tailamps with LED's etc etc)
Centerpoint BOSE surround sound system
auto A/C
touch screen/ voice activated navigation

my fav parts....

R3 sport package and recaro seats
19 inch wheels with high perf summer only tires and finally....

BILSTEIN SUSPENSION

the rotary god smiles down on mazda....and blesses the rx8 with its biggest issue....marshmallow suspension say bye bye!

most curious to me is the third oil injectors for each rotor....oil consumption is noted to be less but there are more injectors now???????? weird

and the MOP is now purely electronic and relocated for ease of access i assume

and thank god the oil filter has been moved....its been 41 years and that damn filter has been in the same spot the whole time....the rx8's engine placement made it a WHORE to remove...thankfully its been relocated....whew

all i wanna know is can i mount the recaros in my own car
and the trans
and the diff
...........END OF EDIT.............

the 2009 mazda rx8 has been revealed. to sum it up, the front and rear ends have been tweaked and so has the interior. new seats will also be available. as well as a new touch screen voice activated navigation.

an RS model will also be made. bilstein coilovers, 19 inch wheels, and special recaro seats.

a mazdaspeed version was also displayed. im 100% sure it isnt turbod or supercharged or three rotor or four rotor or whatever other rediculous claims other internet nerds make. ill guess for suspension, seats, body parts, and a mildly tuned exhaust. (see nismo Z or S200 CR for clues)

imo i think it looks ok. the tailights are ugly but the front end is ok. i also like the new interior but i hate the new steering wheel. when the 06 miata came out they put that wheel on it and i was like wtf i kno they will incorporate this gay ass thing into other cars. and they did. and here it is again. i think its ugly and weird lookin. i wish they went the route that audi did with their wheels and made the bottom of them flat like in racing cars.

the engine is slightly tweaked. only someone like me will tell the diff so dont bother asking me whats new, you wouldnt care if i told u.

mazda claims for a bump in performance from all aspects, acceleration, handling, and braking. i would attribute most of that to the new tires they will be using. until now they used potenza re040's (lame) and now they will go to re050's (less lame). they used them in the speed6 and speed3 and some models on the new miata. nissan also uses them on some 350z models as well as other comps too.

dont expect leaps and bounds in the hp dept. the 2008 epa guidelines are more strict on gas consumption so i doubt they working for hp, im sure the fuel economy went up tho....15 mpg up to 16 mpg...haha

heres the link if u care...
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=135098

WhiteXFire
01-11-2008, 08:21 PM
That designer needs to be fired, he put the steering wheel on the wrong side! :lol:

I think the front looks better. :thumbup:

streetAssasin96
01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
looks like s2k tailights. It definitley looks good though, especially that interior.

FlashFive
01-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Saw this last night on mazdas24/7, i feel in love with it.

ozthunder
01-15-2008, 12:08 AM
It kind of pales when compared to its stand partner, the Furai lol.

NOPSTNS
01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
It kind of pales when compared to its stand partner, the Furai lol.

yeah that mad me sad too, they shoudl have parked it next to an older rx8....then normal ppl would see the diffs very clearly.

a mazda nerd like myself spotted 100 diff things and everyone else is like...its just a front bumper and tailights, wtf

the furai is pretty cool tho!

ozthunder
01-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Furai= badass. Looks amazing, and i'm sure it'll perform amazing if produced.

NOPSTNS
01-15-2008, 12:46 AM
the engine is already used, in gasoline form. its currently kicking ass in the rolex GT series. its peripherally ported, individual throttle bodied, 3 rotor'd goodness, screaming up to 10,000 rpm all day long.

im going to see them race this may at lime rock....!

NOPSTNS
01-19-2008, 03:45 AM
Update On The Mechanicals:
new transmission!
first and second gear are geared shorter to increase off the line and 0-60 acceleration. all other gears slightly tweaked. final drive ration shortened from 4.444 to 4.777 (about damn time) to increase overall acceleration. 03-08 rx8s are 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and unofficial claims are to cut back .3 to that times, making them a 5.9 0-60. yes still not blazingly quick but an improvement nonetheless.

the R3 model (new for 09 as an homage to R1 and R2 in the older rotary cars) will have recaro seats, 19 inch gunmetal wheels, potenza re050 tires, bilstein coilovers, and other luxury type stuff i dont care about and wont mention. stuff like sunroof and keyless ignition and bluetooth and blah blah blah.

the R3 will be known as Type RS in other markets.

new placement of oil dipstick, revised pcv routing, updated and heat shielded A/C system, and other small things are new for 09 as well. id go into specifics but the odds of anyone caring are not enuff to make me type it....

more pics and specs to come...

PaleDSM
01-19-2008, 06:45 AM
-I really like the new front end. That was my least favorite part of the old design.

-The tail lighs really do look lifted from the S2ks.

-19" wheels? WTF are they thinking?

-That is one ugly steering wheel and even the normal wheels are ugly and heavy looking.

CHAOS
01-19-2008, 07:26 AM
i think it looks great man... u gonna get one frank?

amp
01-19-2008, 12:56 PM
..dont expect leaps and bounds in the hp dept.
lame..
not diggin it.. current style is better..

hypntcpimp
01-19-2008, 01:05 PM
not a big fan of the rx8 but its not bad...

teh DIRT
01-19-2008, 01:06 PM
i think it looks 100x better than the previous model. Wide wheels and drop it, itl look amazing.

__owens__
01-27-2008, 11:58 PM
mazda is steping in the right direction getting better looking ... i just dont like the whole 3rd door thing from the start

M.V.'s FD
01-28-2008, 12:43 AM
On the fence about the facelift...dont like the wheels or the brake lights.

NOPSTNS
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
bump for edit on original post

Scapegoat
03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
font end looks like its taking some cues from the Sky.

I like it though... but I've always like the rx8, mainly for being so blatantly different than anything else

ozthunder
03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
lol...I thought the main issue was the fact it makes as much power as a Ford Fusion? :wink:

lownslow95
03-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I actually like it.

xEJ20x
03-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I dig it.

Can't wait to see what the Amemiya guys will do to it.

NOPSTNS
03-21-2008, 10:47 PM
lol...I thought the main issue was the fact it makes as much power as a Ford Fusion? :wink:

omg im dying of laughter....! why dont u go do another burnout at sonic again!:wink:

ask any real driver whos been behind the wheel....and the main thing where mazda compromised is the suspension....they designed the car to have great handling charateristics that they didnt NEED a stuff setup...great for streets and curvy roads but on a road course its understeer city...right next door to body roll central...at the corner of dive braking and squat accelerating...

working as a mazda tech is good for things like this...im the first behind the wheel of new models....cant wait for the R3!

ozthunder
03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
lol... :wink: = sarcasm.