PDA

View Full Version : Transmission trouble O2O help needed. - Fixed Mods can delete

naDintheHat
01-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Last night i replaced the bushings in my shift linkage and drove my car around for a bit last night with no problems. Today I get in to go get a cap and rotor drives fine. Coming back I try to shift from first into second and nothing, engine just revs, so i shift into 3rd works fine. I get home and right before i get to my house, it seems like it loses all gears. If i put the shifter into a gear it just pops to the middle of the shifter box.
I am just wondering if I screwed something up on the install and it will be a quick fix or if the trans is toast or the clutch.

The car shifted perfectly no grinding, a little noise in reverse, before i did the linkage. I just wanted to get rid of the play in the shifter.

Anyone's input is greatly appreciated because classes start on Monday.

-Dan

UPDATE: All better. - Apparently one of the nuts on the linkage decided to break today.

93EGY8
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
i doubt its ur trans or clutch...is there anyway you can adjust the linkage??

naDintheHat
01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Looks like i can from under the car, problem is the car is at home and the garage is on the other side of town.
This was something i was worried about since i'm just starting to turn the wrenches myself.

Keeper1343
01-10-2008, 10:17 PM
honesty man... if you want to learn the hard way working on cars, keep the 94 VW. If you want to learn the easy way, get a honda. I had a 94 VW and the thing just kept breaking constantly. The linkage will always be horrible, The clutch feel will always be horrible. You can't make it quick. The parts are SOOOO expensive. No one wants to work on them. No glove box. The electrical is always ass backwards. Sry for bashing a car like that, its not my style but it is so true. You are going to be the next person "buried in the volkswagen". I had a problem with my linkage before... It was a little plastic piece that connected two parts of the linkage. It just snapped on a off. Good luck man.

naDintheHat
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Ok so you have said every single thing that i already know about VWs.

Expensive parts - check, no denying that.
people dont want to work on them - ???? Most of the people i have ever talked to about cars said they loved working on vws (with the exception of heater cores)
can't make it quick - depends on your definition of quick, yeah its never going to be a fast car, but it is small and light.

If i choose to "waste" the money on it so be it, its my tiny bank account that gets hurt not yours.
Most of the people i know that have ever owned a VW, would own another one.

I'm not normally the type to bash on cars that other people have because they have their own style and their own goals, partly why i joined here because i could bust out a 2.0L making maybe 90hp at the wheels and still expect to find people willing to welcome my 2.slow.
I have no problem with hondas other than the fact that i see them everywhere, but then again all i see around town is new vws.

I am not trying to get into an e-pssing match with you. If ya have an interest in car or and interested in learning more than u already know then that is cool with me. For the most part i am on here to learn and just talk back and forth with people that make 400+hp, and those of us that run with <100hp. I mean i respect all of the cars on here because each person has a different idea on a car, and i can respect that. I came asking for help, i didnt come asking for you to bash on my car or the company that it is from, if you want to have some fun doing that sign up on vortex and try they like that kinda ****.

-Dan

You got any pictures of the EG? My roomate at school has a Turbo'd h22 prelude.

greek bandit
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
nicely done and well said... well as a fromer vw tech first check ur clutch linkage... ur car has a cable clutch and may be out of adjustement. u will open the hood and see a white wheel on the the clutch cable turn it till there is little to no play in the pedal. doing this will knock out one possible prob. now as for it poping out of gear you may have a a bad detent or bent shift fork. but that is worst case. and if that happens get a new or another trans. check and make sure all bushing are not binding up when ur trying to move the shifter. i have had people in the same position as u and it ended up being the cable out of adjustment or the bushings where binding up

naDintheHat
01-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Actually its all fixed, the nut that attaches the selector rod cracked and was loose so when i was putting the car into gear it wasnt moving at all. So i replaced the nut, the linkage was fine to begin with i just bought new bushing because i wanted to tighten up the shifter so there was no play in it.

side note: I <3 the 24V VR6. My dad has one in his passat 4-motion.

Keeper1343
01-11-2008, 12:08 AM
I meant nothing negative or disrespectful towards you... I just know you said you were new to the game. So i guess i figured you were young. If you are you might not have a good amount of money. If that is true than its going to be tough for you with this car. I think they are pretty cool cars minus the reliability. I just found myself too aggrevated all the time.

I don't currently have pics of it... But I am getting it painted soon!!!! Electron Blue Pearl... H22 Turbo has to be sick. Whats he running and whats the mods??? I am very jealous. I heard with 8 PSI with my swap i should run low 11's

DropTopChevy
01-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Actually its all fixed, the nut that attaches the selector rod cracked and was loose so when i was putting the car into gear it wasnt moving at all. So i replaced the nut, the linkage was fine to begin with i just bought new bushing because i wanted to tighten up the shifter so there was no play in it.

side note: I <3 the 24V VR6. My dad has one in his passat 4-motion.

What year is this passat? I know the 98 to 04 passat 4 motions as having the longitudinal 30V V6 in which I :inlove:

naDintheHat
01-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Its a 07 passat. I am not sure if it is the 24V or the 30V.

DropTopChevy
01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Its a 07 passat. I am not sure if it is the 24V or the 30V.

Yeah the new ones are 24V. 3.6L V6, 280hp, 265lbs-ft torque, --4-Motion All-wheel Not too shabby either. If it came in manual then Volkswagen could get me in one but for now I'll keep mine.

Keeper1343
01-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I really hate the linkages on the VW's. That and the Clutches

DropTopChevy
01-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I really hate the linkages on the VW's. That and the Clutches

Why is that? I actually love mine. (87K original clutch) The clutch engages a little high in mine but I have gotten used to it and what car are you talking about?

Keeper1343
01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
HAHA well i had a 95 GTI. But the clutch engagment is kinda awkward.

DropTopChevy
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
HAHA well i had a 95 GTI. But the clutch engagment is kinda awkward.

I have driven old jettas and golfs as thought of a beater. The clutch was kinda weird for me. The newer ones however are alot nicer. :thumbup: