PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake Worries?

OutOfStock
08-13-2005, 02:39 PM
So the deal was with my parents that this car I had to keep it stock. Yea, I agreed now today my dad and I are replaceing the sparkplugs in my car and just general matienence and we crack open the intake....and the filter looks like a freaking birdsnest. Like it hasnt been changed since 98 when the car was made. So my dad goes....well your gonna need a new filter but, Im thinking maybe we'll get one of those Cold Air Things....so hes breaking the deal on the modyfing the car and opening a whole nother can of worms :supz:

Ok but the real reason the thread was created....should I be concerned of the CAI ingesting water? I can always get a bypass valve, but has anyone with a CAI ever run into problems? Ive heard stories but it was always a friend of a friend or something.

xEJ20x
08-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Buy short ram. You get the aftermarket intake bling and sleep soundly knowing you won't hydrolock your engine.

OutOfStock
08-13-2005, 05:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTERCOOLER-94-01-INTEGRA-COLD-INTAKE-byPass-Valve-97_W0QQitemZ7992716339QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

**** it ima get this!!

S4toSTI
08-13-2005, 05:43 PM
ummmmm

OutOfStock
08-13-2005, 06:01 PM
That was a joke.......

teh DIRT
08-13-2005, 06:08 PM
haha that thing has a "mash" air flow.

S4toSTI
08-13-2005, 06:09 PM
omg that god that was a joke i wanna buy that and just look at it and laugh

OutOfStock
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM
I think it screams hydrolock my engine please....how well do bypass valves work anyway?

OutOfStock
08-13-2005, 06:55 PM
http://passwordjdm.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=9&P_ID=866&strPageHi story=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=375 Im actually thinking of getting this....PIMP

MSP #167
08-13-2005, 07:15 PM
i really wouldn't worry as long as you don't go in deep ass puddles when it rains....i've had cai's on both my cars and they were both lowered and it was fine.

Raven18940
08-13-2005, 08:32 PM
You're not gonna hydrolock your engine with a CAI. Your intake would have to be completely submerged to suck up any meaningful amount of water. Even then I think the engine would stall before it actually hydrolocked.

OutOfStock
08-13-2005, 09:02 PM
JDM Password SRIhttp://passwordjdm.com/skin_default/templateimages/Layout3/Misc/PPCP.jpg

OR

AEM CAI
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/a7/80/7b_1_b.JPG

99ElectronBlueCivicSi
08-13-2005, 09:48 PM
id say if u want some underhood bling go with the PassJDM intake i love the way that thing looks i have the AEM Cold Air but if i had the choice i would've bought the pass JDM intake in a second and i havent had any problems with my Cold Air but if u wanna get cold air i saw a vid that AEM did where they had intake with a bypass valve and they put the filter in a bucket of water and started the car and it ran fine but im saying go for the PASSwordJDM

Blue32
08-13-2005, 11:17 PM
In my opion Short Ram intakes dont really do any good, they just suck all the hot air in from your engine, if you get a full CAI you def. should get it with a bypass, mine has saved my ass 3xs allready, you can always say to your self I wont drive in the rain.. I wont run through any puddles, but sometimes you cant help it, I herd of 4 cars this summer that were ruined, complete HYDRO lock due to running through a large puddle, just my .02

http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/2110IMG_1259-med.JPG

sfd
08-13-2005, 11:47 PM
In my opion Short Ram intakes dont really do any good, they just suck all the hot air in from your engine, if you get a full CAI you def. should get it with a bypass, mine has saved my ass 3xs allready, you can always say to your self I wont drive in the rain.. I wont run through any puddles, but sometimes you cant help it, I herd of 4 cars this summer that were ruined, complete HYDRO lock due to running through a large puddle, just my .02

http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/2110IMG_1259-med.JPG

depends on the placement of it. ive seen 90348509345 cool air intakes that take in more hot air that a ram air would. just look in my engine bay.

OutOfStock
08-14-2005, 01:29 PM
id say if u want some underhood bling go with the PassJDM intake i love the way that thing looks i have the AEM Cold Air but if i had the choice i would've bought the pass JDM intake in a second and i havent had any problems with my Cold Air but if u wanna get cold air i saw a vid that AEM did where they had intake with a bypass valve and they put the filter in a bucket of water and started the car and it ran fine but im saying go for the PASSwordJDM

yea passwordjdm intake is def blind under the hood...I doubt a CAI and Short Ram powerwise wont make to much of a difference on a stockcar anyway. Isnt the passwordjdm intake supposed to flow better then other SRI;s or some bull like that.

sfd
08-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I think when it comes to air temp some might be better than others.

But really, they all end up flowing the same if it's made properly. Besides, better/increased flow is only as good as what your pushing it into. Most intakes are oversized for the TB/Manifold/Valves anyway. I'd love to find a 2inch/2.25inch intake for my car. Instead I'll be piecing a new one together. THis near 3inch monster is giving me no added benifit except a spool sound at the filter, lol.

LSHatch
08-14-2005, 06:06 PM
If you hydrolock your car from a CAI, you are an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to drive.

I have a CAI on my car, with the front vents of the bumper cut out, and my car sits very low. I have had zero problems with it.

xEJ20x
08-14-2005, 06:26 PM
If you hydrolock your car from a CAI, you are an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to drive.

I have a CAI on my car, with the front vents of the bumper cut out, and my car sits very low. I have had zero problems with it.

I subscribe to the idea of "better safe than sorry".

LSHatch
08-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Let off the gas when you drive through a puddle.

TehWagon
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM
yea i totally bonzai'd (sp?) a puddle the other day by accident (snuck up on me) and the shortie ram worked like a champ. no worries. :thumbup:

OutOfStock
08-15-2005, 07:33 PM
might not be getting the PasswordJDM intake :( Looks like i cant use ABS with it??

SexyDSM95
08-15-2005, 09:11 PM
might not be getting the PasswordJDM intake :( Looks like i cant use ABS with it??
That seems really odd that an intake would affect ABS....I would assume if they make specific intakes for specific vehicles (with or without ABS) it would not affect that.

xEJ20x
08-15-2005, 09:20 PM
That seems really odd that an intake would affect ABS....I would assume if they make specific intakes for specific vehicles (with or without ABS) it would not affect that.

I've been wondering that myself. It doesnt say anything about the ABS being affected by the intake on the PasswordJDM site.

SexyDSM95
08-15-2005, 10:08 PM
I've been wondering that myself. It doesnt say anything about the ABS being affected by the intake on the PasswordJDM site.
I would think that they would route the piping a way so that it wouldn't?!? Odd concept...I guess when I go to buy cams I will make sure to buy the ones that won't affect my braking abilities :shrugs:

OutOfStock
08-16-2005, 01:43 AM
DC NON ABS! - Password Carbon Fiber air intake system

Unless they mean ABS plastic but i dont think that deserves an exclamation point....

OutOfStock
08-16-2005, 01:53 AM
It hits something electrical for the ABS system, supposedly the J's racing intake is the only one that works but im not shelling out over $200 on an intake....I keep going back and fourth about a CAI and SRI, friends say I wont have a problem others say I might injest. Im just worried when im comin home from college it would be hard to evade every puddle if its raining on a 2.5hr car ride

03tarmacblack
08-16-2005, 02:08 AM
i would just get a k&N drop in unless you want the sound. I dont really see a benefit with just an intake, especially in the summer with the hot air.

SexyDSM95
08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
It hits something electrical for the ABS system, supposedly the J's racing intake is the only one that works but im not shelling out over $200 on an intake....I keep going back and fourth about a CAI and SRI, friends say I wont have a problem others say I might injest. Im just worried when im comin home from college it would be hard to evade every puddle if its raining on a 2.5hr car ride
If you are so worried then just go with Short-ram. Less of a hassle, less research, and I doubt that it will affect your ABS (which still makes me wonder?).