PDA

View Full Version : Fixing my PC

SleeperGoat
11-16-2007, 03:05 AM
I know this might not be the right the section but it is game related. I got a gaming PC had it for like 2+ years. It was built for World of Warcraft to start then i stopped an started to play FPS with it. I recently bought Crysis for it an i've been playing TF2 but in the last 2 weeks its been actually extremely strange. Its a AMD Athlon 3800 X2 Dual Core with 2 gigs of ram a water cooling system an a ATI XTX1900 528bit graphics card which was big when i bought it. Now its Humming an making clicking noises it got extremely slow. I know the cooler fan is going thats not hard to figure out but i know there is deffintly more to it being i get crital errors trying to run my DVD/CD Burner. I was just wondering if anyone was local or closs to Dolyestown that would be willing to take a look at it that knows what there doing. I know theres gotta be some PC people on here, i'd just rather have someone i can trust look at it when i'm there then take it to a place thats going to take it apart or might take stuff from it.

lagos
11-16-2007, 03:17 AM
if your fan is making noises, then its probably not doing a good job cooling the components inside the computer. when that happens, things overheat, and you start seeing strange errors like you are describing.

open the case, and figure out where the noise is coming from.

scutzi128
11-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Open the side of the case and point a big box fan in to it to see if it is a heat related issue.

wgknestrick
11-16-2007, 10:38 AM
First, download and run PCwizard and check that your voltages from your power supply are within spec. That is the number one thing that will cause crashes outside of overclocking. Post a pic up of the voltages when you get a chance. The clicking could just be a wire that is being hit by a fan now. Open the case and see where it is coming from.

I just found a problem with my new PC shown here (PC won't OC at all and randomly crashes on Crysis):

Notice the +3.3V and the +12V values.
http://users.rcn.com/wgknestrick/PC%20Wizard%20Voltages.JPG

james_ls
11-16-2007, 12:46 PM
^^ Do that first. ^^

The clicking sounds...sound maybe like a hard-drive issue.

I can always check it out for you in person if you want though Jim.

Bizee
11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
resolve any fan issues before you go any further. a bad fan can and will hum, click and make the computer run extremly slow, causing locking up and other issues.

i dont know what your water cooling setup is but pick up a new fan for the cpu and video card, you wont regret it. pick up some good zalman's, night and day from stock.

post the errors your getting if your seeing them.

....crysis is gonna stress your cpu and vid card, if there are any weak links they will definatly show when running that game

SleeperGoat
11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
My water cooling system goes right over my CPU. I also dont have a problem with running crysis it just has to run at Medium instead of High like other games.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/JCamaro84z/untitled.jpg

wgknestrick
11-16-2007, 06:27 PM
You do see your problems, right?

SleeperGoat
11-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Voltage?