PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack bushings

MuddyREX
02-21-2005, 08:49 PM
I just ordered a set of whiteline steering rack bushings, and I can't wait to put them in.

Here's to better steering!! :partyman:

Dreck
02-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Good luck with the install...

;)

alachua
02-28-2005, 07:46 PM
They were the first thing I ordered for my car back in June.

They are still sitting around waiting for me to put them in.

Being lazy rocks

-Cliff

MuddyREX
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
They are in. :banana: :supz: :banana:

Not as big of a difference as the hype suggests, but a definite improvement. Turn in is crisper, and there is a lot less slop on side to side transitions. Much more of a point-and-go type steering now as compared to a point-and-wait-a-moment before you go type steering before.

Reccommended!! :thumbup:

wrx_snobordr
03-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Ive been thinking about doing these along with all the other drive train tightening goodies. how was the install? I hear it can be a pain in the a$$.

MuddyREX
03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
It is a PITA.

Thats why I was a wuss and had Precision Tuning do it while I was there for some other stuff. :finga:

wrx_snobordr
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Nice... how much did they charge? what else did ya get done?

MuddyREX
03-01-2005, 06:44 PM
They charged me $75 bucks to put them in. Probably would have taken me a few hours to do if I was laying under my car in the snow. And I wasn't too keen about bending power steering lines out of the way, which needs to be done to get them in easily. Only downside was that I had to buy them myself, since Rich had a hard time sourcing them for me.

As to what else I had done? Plugs, belts, and new exhaust gaskets. All stuff I was too lazy to do in the snow.

alachua
03-31-2005, 01:28 AM
the install, while not as easy as pie, should be able to be completed in less than an hour.

-jack front of car way up...way up.

- take off brackets holding power steering lines

- take off brackets holding in stock bushings.

- remove passenger side bushing.

- revel in how easy it was...jeze this isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

- fight with driver side bushing for about ten minutes, gingerly push power steering lines forward a bit...

- swear.

- finally tear the damn driver side bushing out, swear a little more.

- coat new driver side bushing with included lube, attempt to install.

- have a helper apply a bit of upward force on the rack, while you fight to get bushing in.

- ten minutes later, bushing is in, and you are damn angry

- slide passenger bushing in, replace brackets under bushings, replace steering line brackets.

-Cliff

MuddyREX
03-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks, but i fixed your instructions to make it a little easier to follow.

the install, while not as easy as pie, should be able to be completed in less than an hour.

- fight with driver side bushing for about ten minutes,

- swear.

- swear a little more.

- attempt to install.

- fight to get bushing in.

- you are damn angry

-Cliff

the mike
03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks, but i fixed your instructions to make it a little easier to follow.

Pay to have it done.

I made it easier. :cool:

naSTI
04-03-2005, 01:29 AM
I have been waiting for two months now for Whiteline to produce one for the 05's as it is different than the 04's. Alas, I continue to wait!

:cry:

alachua
04-03-2005, 02:17 AM
If I understand it correctly, they corrected the problem on the 05's, eliminating that need for replacement bushings.

As far as paying for something to get installed on my car...unless they accept payment in 'case of beer' form, I say forget it. If I can't do it myself, I have a friend who will show me how, and if a few of us don't know how...then its time to learn.

lessons I've learned using above method:

- oil return on WRX is pressure fit, and will come loose if you move the turbo.
- A/C line is bolted right by where the TurboXS instructions make you believe you should attach the overflow container during FMIC install.
- STi uses non-lethal stuff in its A/C system (thank god, I would have missed jay when I emptied my system into his face.)
- check your damn torque specs on your manifold...now check them again.
- drive the car and check the torque specs again.
- everything is funnier at 5am when you are under your car, and have been there for 8 hours.

-Cliff

Aaron
04-03-2005, 02:21 AM
that being said, I'm staying stock :eek:

MuddyREX
04-04-2005, 12:18 AM
everything is funnier at 5am when you are under your car, and have been there for 8 hours.

-Cliff

Especially the oil encrusted body, bloody knuckles, and when you notice you are still drinking beer at 4am while working on your car when you have to be at work at 7am.