PDA

View Full Version : Road Racing - Up close

thewake
08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
So I finally made to my second event at Pocono working F&C (Flagging and Communication). For any of you who have only know Pocono Raceway as the NASCAR superspeedway, there is an infield section for road courses. The weekend was an SCCA double national weekend. This meant that every class ran one race on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Course Map (http://www.triregionracing.org/Forms/2005_PIR_Map.pdf)

I worked FS2 (flag station 2) on Saturday. From this station we could see the cars up until the tunnel turn. There was quite a bit of action as the cars ran off driver's left down the grass and gravel in front of us. We would then have to be yellow until they re-entered the track. The cars tend to bring some of the gravel with them on to the track. This would require the display of the debris flag for a lap or so (and sweeping of gravel after the race). We also had one car dump oil (the car lost a valve cover as a result of contact) across the corner entry after FS1 and before the little straight and pull up to us on the dirver's right. This required drying the oil before the next session. Later we were left a bumper cover liner from a Mazda on one lap, and the bumper cover the next time by.

Sunday I found myself at FS4. From here you could see more of the track, but you can only face one direction at a time, so when working the blue flag, I could see the cars come up the rise to FS2 though FS4, and working the yellow flag from FS4 to FS6. We had one car slow on the straight between FS3 and FS4 and pull in behind our station. I didn't get to see him coming until he was just about on top of us as I was looking at the cars behind us. I found working the blue flag here took some getting used to as the angle of view made it hard to tell how fast the overtaking car was closing. unfortunately we had to black flag one car for a penalty. However we were left a cone from the chicane that was picked up by one of the race cars.

All in all it was fun. I shouldn't wait so long before I go back and flag a race.

htheduck
08-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Cool man. I was at a Tri-Region SCCA event in June and one of the coordinators was talking to me about tech and working this event for August. It's too bad I missed it--I should'a followed up.

I liked driving that clockwise course configuration a lot. I think I'd like the all the heavy braking activity at FS1-if I were working.
-H :wiggle:

PaleDSM
08-09-2005, 08:24 AM
I have been interested in volunteering for a PDA event at Pocono for a few years now but I have never gone through and done it. I always thought it looked like it might be fun and now it sounds like it is. :)

thewake
08-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Cool man. I was at a Tri-Region SCCA event in June and one of the coordinators was talking to me about tech and working this event for August. It's too bad I missed it--I should'a followed up.

I liked driving that clockwise course configuration a lot. I think I'd like the all the heavy braking activity at FS1-if I were working.

The June event was fun, I was there (I hurt my car on Sat). I still had a good time though. FS-1 could be fun too. I imagine there is a bit of overtaking coming down the straight into turn 1. Then of course there is all the off-roading that was going on before FS-2. I imagine that the only bad spot would have been FS-8 where they had to continually reset the cones. They seemed to have had to work hard all weekend.

thewake
08-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I have been interested in volunteering for a PDA event at Pocono for a few years now but I have never gone through and done it. I always thought it looked like it might be fun and now it sounds like it is. :)

Yes, the weekends are a blast. You should try it out. I worked one day in June at the SCCA track day there (ran my car the other), and racing weekends are much better. There is an F&C school done at Summit Point in the spring each year. It is held by the DC region SCCA in conjunction with the driver school, so you should get to throw all sorts of flags as drills too.

htheduck
08-09-2005, 03:05 PM
....Then of course there is all the off-roading that was going on before FS-2.
Ha! :rolleyes: FS2 owned me-doh! I'll see if I can post a vid!

thewake
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM

Please do, I would like to see it!

garyk
08-10-2005, 09:02 AM
we will be running our improved touring svt focus there for 2 enduros this year..sat. 8/20 for a 1 hour and 9/10 for a 2 hour...any crew help is always appreciated....also will be instructing for pda on 8/19 a friday for practice

Raven18940
08-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Can anyone race at Pocono?

garyk
08-10-2005, 09:25 AM
depends on what you mean by racing...with emra any safe car can run in time trials which is not wheel to wheel but does put you on real tracks...passes are only allowed in certain spots and with a signal...still a blast..go as fast as you want with no flashing lights behind you...only convertibles are required to have roll bars..we run classroom sessions where you learn about flags, heel-toe, proper lines, etc...this is backed up with an in car instructor to help you at first....www.emraracing.org for more details also www.nasaracing.net we hold street car sessions at summit point, vir, the glen, pocono, beaverun etc...hope that helps

Wreckerboy
08-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Raven18940 asked:
Can anyone race at Pocono?

The answer is a qualified yes - it depends on how you are defining "racing." With EMRA (the Eastern Motor Racing Association, www.emraracing.org) we have a Time Trial program that basically allows anybody with a street car to get out on track in a controlled, limited passing zone, environment, and have at it. We also offer a wheel to wheel race series which includes sprint races and enduros, but that is for prepared (read: full cage) race cars.

EMRA has a sprint race and enduro scheduled for Augst 20 at the Pocono long course, and then a sprint race/enduro/time trial weekend on September 10/11 on Pocono north.

Rob
EMRA Chief of Tech

thewake
08-11-2005, 09:12 AM
George,

As others have mentioned the answer is a qualified "yes". Each racing organization has its own rules and regulations. If a track day/lapping day/time trial falls withing your definition of racing, then the bar is much lower. In general if you have a safe car (the type of event will dictate this) and the appropriate licence then you can go race. The track day I did required a sound car (there was an inspection form, roll bars only if convertible) and a helmet for safety. A current valid driver's licence was also required. For real wheel-to-wheel racing the list gets longer, and generally require a full fire retardant suit, cage, Snell SA helmet, fire extinguisher, fuel cell, cut off switch etc. for safety. You may also need a special race license issued by the sanctioning body, as well as membership.

If you are serious, find out who you would like to race with and their specific requirements. NASA and EMRA were mentioned earlier and the SCCA (http://www.scca.com) has put all the national rules up on the web at http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/2005GeneralCompetitionRules.pdf and updates are available at http://www.scca.com/garage

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a member and board of directors member of the South Jersey Region of the SCCA (http://www.sjr-scca.org) as well as being rally chair.

garyk
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
uh oh wreckerboy..one of THEM....actually never ran with south jersey, but did run some with north jersey...were very nice folks....

thewake
08-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes I am one of "them". :D Still I think there are many of us "racer-types" that participate with/are members of different organizations. At some point if you get serious you tend to stick with one group, but many do spread out thier fun.

If you do come to a SJ event, you will find out that most of us are nice too.

garyk
08-12-2005, 10:54 AM
i actually instruct for tarheel sports car club, nasa midatlantic, emra and svtoa..race only with emra though......despite wreckerboy putting my little focus in your equivelent of its....and now threatening me with gt1...

thewake
08-12-2005, 03:35 PM
i actually instruct for tarheel sports car club, nasa midatlantic, emra and svtoa..race only with emra though......despite wreckerboy putting my little focus in your equivelent of its....and now threatening me with gt1...

Car classing is an arcane art I know very little about. I do know that is causes no end of headaches for most people. This is why I am not currently working on a racing license, or race car at the moment. When I do it will most likely be for auto-x only.

Just get a Vee and be done with it. No one will be reclassing those things. :lol:

alachua
08-12-2005, 03:45 PM
My friends spent about two weeks rebuilding Marc Cefalo's Miata for this event after he rolled it two weeks prior. It rolled out of the body shop on thursday night, and into the trailer to go to the track. Only results I heard were that he qualified second, no clue how he ran in the race.

-Cliff

htheduck
08-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Please do, I would like to see it!
Sorry for the delay: my friend's server was experiencing problems. These pics/vids are from June and it was my first time on Pocono-lot's of fun! (I had to convert the original lengthy .AVI format into something condensed, thus low quality vids). These were also shot with a still camera, not a video camera, which is my next objective.

It was a good day with Tri-Region SCCA.

Pics from the garage area:
Whelen Viper: King of the road (http://www.maximumcars.net/hosted/htheduck/uploaded/whelen_viper.jpg)
#38 Vette that rocked me and the NXS-see vid below! (http://www.maximumcars.net/hosted/htheduck/uploaded/vette.jpg)
Viper owner's son, I think he's on this forum (http://www.maximumcars.net/hosted/htheduck/uploaded/ser.jpg)
Videos:
Garage area view (http://www.maximumcars.net/hosted/htheduck/uploaded/garage.wmv)
NXS let's me go by: Vette coming! (http://www.maximumcars.net/hosted/htheduck/uploaded/nxs.wmv)
I'm pestering a CRX then Cobra (http://www.maximumcars.net/hosted/htheduck/uploaded/crx_cobra.wmv)
Finally, Off Roading at Flag Station #2 (http://www.maximumcars.net/hosted/htheduck/uploaded/owned%20by%20fs2.wmv)

Wreckerboy
08-16-2005, 08:19 AM
I attended the Pocono event that Wake refers to as an instructor - it was my first non-EMRA event of the season. It was a nice day, and given the normal pace of a EMRA weekend for me (driving, Tech, grid steward, bouncing Focuses to GT-1), it was nice to be able to just drive for a change. A trifle boring with all of that extra time on my hands, but nice.

thewake
08-16-2005, 10:37 PM
H- I liked the videos thanks.

Wreckerboy- Yes the weekend was fun (except for the broken car part). Sometimes running with a different organization (where you bear no great responsibility) can be very relaxing. Hopefully they will do it again next year (and I will have a "disposable" car).

I am still very tempted to go to Summit Point and flag for the Labor day weekend. That should be a good time too.

htheduck
08-16-2005, 11:25 PM
As for Pocono-all I can say is one word: FAST-it's great for high HP cars.
I ran the 'race' course? like your linked image and can't imagine it's worth running in any other configuration-IMO. Driving was a little sloppy since it was my first time there and first film attempt time with a still camera.
The infield is flat and forgiving...the straights are not forgiving on brakes. I like more elevation changes myself. But I had a lot of fun nonetheless.

garyk
08-17-2005, 09:14 AM
i get a bit of perspective instructing for 4 different groups and a 5th coming up this weekend (pda)...anyway what happened to site? trouble logging on.. and see you at pocono this weekend

thewake
08-17-2005, 01:00 PM
My friends spent about two weeks rebuilding Marc Cefalo's Miata for this event after he rolled it two weeks prior. It rolled out of the body shop on thursday night, and into the trailer to go to the track. Only results I heard were that he qualified second, no clue how he ran in the race.

-Cliff

Cliff,

Marc finished 3rd in class both days. If I remember correctly he had some trouble with the #28 (Lancia Scorpion) and could not pass to get to second.

Results Page (http://triregionracing.org/triregionresults.html)

thewake
08-17-2005, 01:14 PM
As for Pocono-all I can say is one word: FAST-it's great for high HP cars.
I ran the 'race' course? like your linked image and can't imagine it's worth running in any other configuration-IMO. Driving was a little sloppy since it was my first time there and first film attempt time with a still camera.
The infield is flat and forgiving...the straights are not forgiving on brakes. I like more elevation changes myself. But I had a lot of fun nonetheless.

Yes Pocono is fast, I think there are a good number of racers that do not have the big powerfull cars that do not like it. Perhaps the proposed track in Millville will be better for them while letting the high HP cars have thier fun too.

Did I read correctly that your videos were done with a still camera? If so they look great for a still camera. Which camera is it?

I finally went to look at your CRX & Cobra video and it was the same as the off roading as FS-2 video. I hope you didn't overwrite the original.

htheduck
08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Yes Pocono is fast, I think there are a good number of racers that do not have the big powerfull cars that do not like it. Perhaps the proposed track in Millville will be better for them while letting the high HP cars have thier fun too.
Did I read correctly that your videos were done with a still camera? If so they look great for a still camera. Which camera is it?
I finally went to look at your CRX & Cobra video and it was the same as the off roading as FS-2 video. I hope you didn't overwrite the original.
Thanks for bringing the video to my attention-it is now fixed. All videos have been enhance for brightness through MS Movie Maker. Unfortunately they have all been reduced in size and quality from original .avi format.

As for the camera-it is a Cannon Powershot A75--I'm highly impressed with it. I was in infield suite of Darlington (SC) for the Truck/Busch/Cup race-and I have to say it picks up sound & video very well. The only limitations to the still camera is the aperature (sp?) -where it can't compensate for changing light and the zoom/wide cannot be adjusted mid-filming at all.

thewake
08-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks for bringing the video to my attention-it is now fixed. All videos have been enhance for brightness through MS Movie Maker. Unfortunately they have all been reduced in size and quality from original .avi format.

As for the camera-it is a Cannon Powershot A75--I'm highly impressed with it. I was in infield suite of Darlington (SC) for the Truck/Busch/Cup race-and I have to say it picks up sound & video very well. The only limitations to the still camera is the aperature (sp?) -where it can't compensate for changing light and the zoom/wide cannot be adjusted mid-filming at all.

Still the videos looked fine, the small files were not bad. I understand the trade-off.

I want a digital camera so bad... Unfortunately I don't want to give up my Canon SLR lenses (especially the 70-200 f4.0 L). So I am looking at getting a 20D. I just have other expenses first.

garyk
08-23-2005, 01:05 PM
back from pocono emra races...38 car field, 7 classes...qualified 19th, 6 cars in class, 96 4.6 stang, 3 2nd gen rx7s, type r and us in the focus..took a 3rd place, now 2nd in points in class...see you back there for the 2 hour on 9/10

thewake
08-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Nice result... How far out of first in points are you?

garyk
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
currently 10 points behind leader....13 points ahead of third...here's how points work..1 hour enduro..1st=20,2nd=17,3rd=15...now if it's a 2 hour race those numbers double, like when we go back to pocono on september 10th for a 2 hour...then the 24th at lime rock is a one hour then to the glen for 3 hour, worth up to 60 points..biggie is the season ender at summit point...4 hours, worth up to 80 points...

thewake
08-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Then it seems that there is still a good hunt for the overall points win. If I can still add, you have about 10 hours worth of racing which seems like it is tight enough between the top three to make it interesting.

PaleDSM
08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Do they allow spectators at EMRA races?

I go to most of the PDA events at Pocono and it looks like EMRA might be alot of fun too.

04 Turbo Spec
08-25-2005, 12:51 PM
my dad brought his race viper there and i was there in my spec

Wreckerboy
08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
PaleDSM wrote:

Do they allow spectators at EMRA races?

I go to most of the PDA events at Pocono and it looks like EMRA might be alot of fun too.

EMRA always welcomes spectators and you are certainly most welcome. One the things we hear most is that we are a "nice group of people to run with" so by all means come on down to our next event(s) at Pocono:

September 10: Pocono North - Sprint races and two hour enduro
September 11: Pocono North - Time Trials

More information is available at www.emraracing.org, or feel free to contact me off-line via chieftech@emraracing.org

Rob

garyk
08-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Then it seems that there is still a good hunt for the overall points win. If I can still add, you have about 10 hours worth of racing which seems like it is tight enough between the top three to make it interesting.
our thoughts exactly...only problem if we win is that wreckerboy will say i am correctly classed

garyk
08-26-2005, 12:38 PM
just double checked...we are only 4 points out of the lead...pocono here we come....

Wreckerboy
08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Geez, garyk, I gotta chase you all over the damned 'net to listen to your whining. That's it, ASR for you now...

garyk
08-26-2005, 12:54 PM
asr as in assinine spec racing? or addled satanic rob?

PaleDSM
08-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I will be there one or both days.
I would like to get myself out there on the track starting next spring.

garyk
08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
if you are there on saturday look us up...#74 silver focus (the only focus racing there)..hopefully we will have a garage spot for paddock...we always have a good supply of good beer for when the racings done

PaleDSM
08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Silver focus with red accents/stickers? I ask because I saw a silver focus on the track last weekend and I seem to remember red in small amounts on the car somewhere.

garyk
08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
that was us...i instructed friday and some saturday and raced in the enduro at 5 pm saturday...our numbers are magnetic since i run with 4 different sanctioning bodies and have different #s for each one...my reserved # with emra is 74

PaleDSM
08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Cool, I know who to look for then. I usually go up in a yellow MR2 spyder incase you spot me in the pits. :)

garyk
08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
i remember seeing you....will be staying at the campground about 2 miles from the track..and if you want to help crew, we can always use help....called track today to see if we could drop the trailer friday, but no dice..am going to try and get there very early saturday and get a garage spot again