PDA

View Full Version : poor MPG help

CleanNeon98
10-28-2007, 03:55 PM
1996 honda accord v6 ex fully loaded 128k miles auto. this is my friends car and its getting horrible fuel economy if you can call it that. In the city he is getting 12.9mpg, and 15 on the highway. He has an ebay intake thats getting swapped for a stock one, and we cleaned the TB with CRC and ran seafoam through the fuel system, but nothing has changed. he gets this MPG no matter how he drives, and its horrid. What can we do to increase the miles per gallon? i was thinking the fuel filter might be in need of replacement, any ideas?? the car is rated for 19/25mpg btw

lownslow95
10-28-2007, 04:14 PM
replace the fuel filter, thats where i would start.

CHAOS
10-28-2007, 04:27 PM
fuel filter, and cats and o2 sensors and maf

CleanNeon98
10-28-2007, 04:36 PM
BTW there is no check enine light or anything

BradC
10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
plugs, wires, cap and rotor if it has one, PCV, air filter, fuel filter, blah, blah blah...does he beat it when he drives?

whitezenki
10-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, check for leaks etc.

Basically give the car a full tune up. Problem solved.

And if its not, your probably in trouble, because anything else will be bad news.

CleanNeon98
10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
plugs, wires, cap and rotor if it has one, PCV, air filter, fuel filter, blah, blah blah...does he beat it when he drives?
He said he used to "beat it" when he drove and got 12mpg..he siad he did 4 tanks under light driving an got 12.9 average

And if its not, your probably in trouble, because anything else will be bad news.
Its burning oil I think. Well probbably just do a tuneup on it and see whats what

CHR!S
10-28-2007, 10:05 PM

what he said :thumbup:

Danronian
10-30-2007, 10:54 PM
After the tune-up items, also look to see how much the o2 sensor is to replace. After a certain number of miles, the precision of the sensor decreases, and mpg slowly gets worse and worse.

If it is a standard narrow-band sensor, it should be about $70 for a plug-in, and $35 for a wire-in.

If it hasnt been replaced ever, probably a good time to do it. (And I'm referring to the one near the engine, not the secondary o2.)