PDA

View Full Version : Toyota/lexus Members Motor Swaps

SUPRARICE87
10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I noticed a few toyota guys were in the middle of some cool swaps. I myself will be doing one close to the end of this year. I thought it would be cool if we had a thread showing all the toyota AND lexus swaps. you never know someone might have somthing you need. this way you can assist or get help from our community instead of searching thu honda's and subies tring to find a toyota.

what you have:

what your swaping:

what you done:

what you need:

I think this would help alot of people.(me included) :afro:

Ds650rida
10-12-2007, 05:07 PM
what you have: 1988 Supra

what your swaping: 1jz-gtte

what you done: Rear main seal replacement

what you need:

1jz supra engine
ECU
Uncut Harness
MAP Sensor
Ignitor
BIC Motor Mounts (pre 89)
1jz flywheel
1jz bell housing (R154 only)
Intercooler
Intercooler piping
2jz Throttle cable
2jz power steering line
adaptor for oil pressure sending unit
Downpipe
Electrical Experience

When you order your 1jz: Make sure the seller has the ignitor and map sensor with the engine. There are hard parts to find and are better to have right off the bat. Also make sure that the engine came out of a SUPRA and not a SOARER! The Soarer wiring is different, and will take a lot more to wire up. The surest way to tell is that the Supra 1j has a hydro-fan, and the Soarer has a regular clutch fan. Mechanically the two are identical. I'm not really sure myself what extra electrical work needs to be done for either, because im not even into my swap yet.

If the seller is an importer, and says the motor has 40-45000 miles on the motor, their probly right. There is a law in japan where the cars cannot go over that many miles, something to do with emissions. So us in America reap the benefits of still having a healthy motor with lots of life left in it for a low price.

As for where to buy, there are a number of different importers and prices vary. Make sure you know what you want, if you have an auto trans, buy a motor from an auto car, the ecu's are different. Beware of Ebay Sellers! Dont be afraid, just beware, Contact them by phone before you bid on the motor, make sure it is the right thing for you. Use Jedi Mind Tricks on them because they might not give you the right information, either because they dont know that much about the background of the motors and cars, or they are just to lazy to care. They will often try and sell old inventory and play dumb, which is what happened to me, and I got a Soarer motor.

Questions I asked when buying:
Is it out of a supra?
Is the harness cut?
Are all the accessories included? (ac, ps, alt)
Is the Ignitor and Map sensor included?

Questions I should have asked:
Does it have a clutch fan? (dont say hydro because they probly wont know what your talking about and say yes)
Is it out of a Supra?

Be sure you know how much shipping will be, I was fortunate enough to have free shipping on mine to a business, and only $50 to a residence. A lot of times it will be very expensive.

There are different ways to go about the harness, assuming you have a Supra setup. Many people extend the harness themselves which is tedious work and if you dont know what your doing, you'll most likely ruin something. Another way is buying an already extended harness (www.935motorsports.com) but as you can see, its VERY expensive, almost the price of the motor itself. Another way (the route i'm going) is to cut a hole in the fire wall and leave the harness the stock length. This is better because people have been known to cross 2 connectors on the ecu and the car wont rev past 4000rpm. And the way mine came, everything was still connected as if it just got pulled from the car as is.

Another website that you will want to look at is www.driftmotion.com, this is where you will be getting 90% of your swap parts, so call them and make friends with the guy. They have great prices and I talked to the guy for an hour on the phone and he is very friendly and more than willing to help. Not to mention he is very experienced (19+ jz swaps).

Also, It's best to get on supramania.com or supraforums.com because if you are only looking on here for swap info, you are not going to get far.

If you need a Transmission as well when doing the swap, it will probably be more practical to spend the extra on a set, You get the flywheel and clutch already off the bat.

Many people also buy front clips that have everything still intact. I myself am not patient enough to take everything out properly, but this may be the best thing for you since everything you need is there.

Some Importer Links:
http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/
http://www.japanmotorimport.com/

Places of Interest for 1jz Swaps:
http://www.bicperformance.com/index.htm
www.935motorsports.com
www.driftmotion.com
http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/en/pages/specifications/JZA70/jza70.htm
http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=54

props to the people on supramania for giving me most of this information.

Wiisass
10-13-2007, 12:56 AM
what you have: mk3 supra

what you're swaping: ls1

what you done: what?

what you need: time and money and the motor/trans/ecus/etc.

Ds650rida
10-13-2007, 06:30 PM
my dad and friends were trying to talk me into putting a regular 350 into my mk3, that should be a sick reliable alternative to the 7m, keep posted on how it goes.

tech4america
12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Great idea that of the swaps thread.... Keep going!

SupraMan1784
12-05-2008, 05:45 PM
hmm i might soon be on this list...planning on throwin a 2jz in my ride...just gotta source out everything

SUPRARICE87
12-21-2008, 11:33 PM
I just got an issue of import tunner and they had a grey 89 mk3 supra with a 2jzgte in it. I was shocked. almost the same setup i have, but bigger turbo and injectors etc. it was making 600whp. i guess thats good for the street. lol. My swap will be done real soon. hopfully i can make those nubers soon. times are hard and money is scare. it usally put a damper on things. but by all means keep it going

Malloy
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
what you have: 1985 Supra

what you're swapping: 7MGTE

what you have done: Swap is complete

what you need: someone local who can make sick IC pipes!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/MkIIMike/SDR/DSC_0045.jpg

SUPRARICE87
12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
ASK JDM WILL. He might have some left over ic pipe layin around. :lol: oh. oh. oh.

YARDMAN
01-09-2009, 10:33 PM
what you have:1993 Lexus SC300

what your swaping:2jzge for a NA-T setup

what you done:headers and midpipe catless

what you need:spare motor and any turbo parts

SUPRARICE87
01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
What turbo parts you need:)

Supersprynt
01-23-2009, 06:07 PM
I HAD a 94 Celica that I swapped in a 92 ST185 3SGTE w/SW20 E153 w/TRD LSD.

But now it's in Texas.