PDA

View Full Version : What would I have to do in a 300zx Rebuild?

WhitePony02
10-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Im still lingering on getting a 300zx, the one I really would like is $2700 with leather interior, its N/A though. But its 2+2 and I don't really need the turbo at age 17. Now, the one I'd like needs a new engine, but the guy doesn't specify if it can be rebuilt or not. I'm guessing the everything will need to be bored out and honed to precision. New gaskets and what not. But you guys would know more about the 300zx engine than I would. So what commonly goes wrong with them that would cause the engine to be blown. Its a 1995 in case you were wondering.

How much would a shop charge me to do all of this and get the thing running again? Or would I be better off paying a mechanic at my work to do it, though they're Dodge tech's not Nissan.

highmilehatch
10-09-2007, 01:34 AM
I would say since your 17 and asking these types of questions, I'd be careful not to get in over your head.

If you have no mechanical experience, this is not the car for you. If you have money, get the car and get a front clip from a JDM Z32 and pay someone to swap it all. Cough cough street solutions cough cough. Then you can have a tt 300z and not have to pay insurance on a turbo car! :lol:

98GSXdude
10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
a non turbo wont give you any trouble if its maintained well, mine never did in the year i owned it. contact Z1 for motor prices

highmilehatch
10-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Hmm RB candidate?

super moose
10-12-2007, 06:50 PM
if he's contemplating the rebuild he probably won't have a whole lot of money to dump into a RB swap lol he'd be much better off with the tt front clip swap as you mentioned. you should get someone to diagnose the problem to see what you're getting yourself into.

zerioustt
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Hmm RB candidate?

vg>rb

plus the swap is a pita

Twinz
10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
if your trying to stay n/a and get the car on the road fast i have a running n/a motor for sale cheap...has like 90k miles but ran well. Would be an easy swap for a shop. pm me for more info.

highmilehatch
10-23-2007, 02:13 AM
vg>rb

plus the swap is a pita

Hmm, care to elaborate? I'd take an inline 6 over a V anyday. But that's my opinion.