PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 2001 9-5 Areo

BlkOut
09-21-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing a 01 9-5 Areo with the 2.3 Turbo engine. Anyone have any input? Things to watch out for? Thanks.

Raven18940
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Great choice. :)

Watch for sludge. Take it to a mechanic and pull the valve cover before you buy one. If it's all sludgy, look for another. Also, listen for timing chain noise, if it's clattering bad it'll have to be replaced. Also, if driven hard the standard aero clutch goes around 100K. If the gear change seems really notchy, don't worry, they all do that. Also the car likes to eat it's rear shocks, I recommend replacing them all with Bilstein HD's if you want a comfy, yet sporty ride or just uprate the whole thing like I did. Other than that, your CPS and DI go every 4 years or so, get a spare DI for your trunk.

BlkOut
09-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Great choice. :)

Watch for sludge. Take it to a mechanic and pull the valve cover before you buy one. If it's all sludgy, look for another. Also, listen for timing chain noise, if it's clattering bad it'll have to be replaced. Also, if driven hard the standard aero clutch goes around 100K. If the gear change seems really notchy, don't worry, they all do that. Also the car likes to eat it's rear shocks, I recommend replacing them all with Bilstein HD's if you want a comfy, yet sporty ride or just uprate the whole thing like I did. Other than that, your CPS and DI go every 4 years or so, get a spare DI for your trunk.

Thank you very much for the input. I actually had one of our mechanic's here at the dealership look it over and it all checks out. The car was traded into us by a Saab tech. His family was growing so he traded it in on an 08 Outback. The car is great, it just needs cleaned up and the only thing I have found wrong was the antena looks melted. It's kind of like when you melt plastic, but it doesn't hurt the radio reception. Have you ever heard of anything like that happening? Also I'm doing myself a favor and getting a 2yr/24k warranty that pretty much covers everything. The only other question is, what are the CPS an DI? Thanks again for all the help.

Raven18940
09-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Thank you very much for the input. I actually had one of our mechanic's here at the dealership look it over and it all checks out. The car was traded into us by a Saab tech. His family was growing so he traded it in on an 08 Outback. The car is great, it just needs cleaned up and the only thing I have found wrong was the antena looks melted. It's kind of like when you melt plastic, but it doesn't hurt the radio reception. Have you ever heard of anything like that happening? Also I'm doing myself a favor and getting a 2yr/24k warranty that pretty much covers everything. The only other question is, what are the CPS an DI? Thanks again for all the help.

Melted antenna, weeeeeelllllllll that's only for onstar, the radio antenna is in the rear window. That said I've never heard of that before.

CPS - Crank Position Sensor, the hardest easy thing to replace. Very simple, but getting your hand to where it is requires you to be a contortionist and be able to work blind. If you ever have a hot starting problem, this is generally your problem. This is a 4-5 year item

DI - Direct Ignition cartidge. This is your entire ignition system in one piece. It's the best system in the world for ignition, buuuut it has a tendency to fail without warning potentially leaving you stranded where ever you might be. The solution is to have a spare in the trunk, it's only a $200 part so it's not too bad. These go anywhere from 3-5 years, some people just change them every 3 years and don't think about it. Also you're gonna wanna change you spark plugs once a year, and the aero takes platinum ones that are $45 for a set. And you must, I repeat, YOU MUST USE OEM PLUGS!!!!!!

I feel inclined to ask what drew you to a 9-5 aero? Also do you plan on doing any mods to it, cause I should warn you that the aftermarket is small and tuning is expensive.

BlkOut
09-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Melted antenna, weeeeeelllllllll that's only for onstar, the radio antenna is in the rear window. That said I've never heard of that before.

CPS - Crank Position Sensor, the hardest easy thing to replace. Very simple, but getting your hand to where it is requires you to be a contortionist and be able to work blind. If you ever have a hot starting problem, this is generally your problem. This is a 4-5 year item

DI - Direct Ignition cartidge. This is your entire ignition system in one piece. It's the best system in the world for ignition, buuuut it has a tendency to fail without warning potentially leaving you stranded where ever you might be. The solution is to have a spare in the trunk, it's only a $200 part so it's not too bad. These go anywhere from 3-5 years, some people just change them every 3 years and don't think about it. Also you're gonna wanna change you spark plugs once a year, and the aero takes platinum ones that are $45 for a set. And you must, I repeat, YOU MUST USE OEM PLUGS!!!!!!

I feel inclined to ask what drew you to a 9-5 aero? Also do you plan on doing any mods to it, cause I should warn you that the aftermarket is small and tuning is expensive.

Wow, thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Also to answer your question, I had kicked around the idea of a Saab a few times. There used to be an old 900 Aero (at least I think it was an Aero) that ran around my home town and I always thought it was cool. Plus there are a few 9-3's that are in my apt complex that are pretty nice looking. The main reason I got it was, well, it was traded into the dealership I work at. It's gorgous, well maintained, unique, made a great replacement for my SVT, and let's be honest.....I'm getting it for a kick @ss price cause I work at the dealership. As far as modding it, I'm not sure if I am or not yet because I'm getting a warranty and I really don't want to void it since it covers pretty much everything.

Raven18940
10-03-2007, 08:25 AM
So how do you like it? :)

BlkOut
10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
So how do you like it? :)

I'm loving it so far. I really like the power and comfort it has. My only complaints are I lost one of my center caps (kind of make the car look bad), my on star antenna looks like it was lit on fire (even thought I knew it looked like that when I bought the car, so I'm going to see if my warranty will cover it), and it's developed this loud knock whenever you really give it gas. It only happens once, so I'm thinking it might be the rubber around the motor mount just wearing away. Any input? Also are there any Saab meets around this area? I would really like to meet up with other owners and talk more about the cars.

Raven18940
10-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Knock eh, not an engine knock I hope? Like a knock/pop when you accelerate hard or brake hard, also when you reverse at full lock? Cause that's a wheel bearing. Come out to the TST meet at Fresh Works tomorrow if you can and I'll take a look at it.

Also, you have a manual right? I've got an upgrade for you.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=312&osCsid=dc1cc23f3e5088169686bea0a6095423

Best $30 ever, takes a lot of slack out of the drivetrain and makes the clutch engagement a lot nicer and more predictable.

As for Saab meets, weeeeellll the saab folks in the area are delightfully unorganized so we don't do much often. Check out Saablink.net for more details. Also get on Saabcentral.com for 9-5 specific questions as they have a larger 9-5 community there.

BlkOut
10-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Knock eh, not an engine knock I hope? Like a knock/pop when you accelerate hard or brake hard, also when you reverse at full lock? Cause that's a wheel bearing. Come out to the TST meet at Fresh Works tomorrow if you can and I'll take a look at it.

Also, you have a manual right? I've got an upgrade for you.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=312&osCsid=dc1cc23f3e5088169686bea0a6095423

Best $30 ever, takes a lot of slack out of the drivetrain and makes the clutch engagement a lot nicer and more predictable.

As for Saab meets, weeeeellll the saab folks in the area are delightfully unorganized so we don't do much often. Check out Saablink.net for more details. Also get on Saabcentral.com for 9-5 specific questions as they have a larger 9-5 community there.

Sorry, you're right it is a pop sound. I've been told it might be a motor mount.

Also thanks for the link. They have a lot of good stuff there.

As far as tonight's meet goes at FS I sent you a PM.

Raven18940
10-05-2007, 08:02 AM
I'll try and get a SAAB meet going, but I think they're all at saabtoberfest.

BlkOut
10-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I'll try and get a SAAB meet going, but I think they're all at saabtoberfest.

Yeah I'm going to miss that one. The family is coming in to see our new place. Oh well, maybe next year.

Raven18940
10-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah I'm going to miss that one. The family is coming in to see our new place. Oh well, maybe next year.

I wish I had time as well, but I don't have a weekend to blow ripping around back roads with 100 other saabs, as much as I'd love to.

BlkOut
10-11-2007, 07:20 PM
So how hard is the transmission mount mod to install? I think next bonus check is going to go toward it.

Raven18940
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
So how hard is the transmission mount mod to install? I think next bonus check is going to go toward it.

Tis easy, I installed mine in half an hour rushing.

BlkOut
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Tis easy, I installed mine in half an hour rushing.

Sounds good. Now if I could sell a few more cars and make some bonus money to put into the Saab.

I was wondering too, would you like to see if some of the other Saab members from TST would like to meet up maybe some Sunday before it gets cold? I don't really know the area since I'm new to this side of the state, but maybe somewhere in KOP?