PDA

View Full Version : 66 mustang with NO Spark

jimtweet
09-17-2007, 03:39 PM
i replaced the starter selenoid, coil, dis cap, dis rotor, plugs, and wires...

there is no spark coming out of the coil...anyone have any ideas?

all fuses are good and car turns over..just no spark!

could this be a ignition switch?

05GT
09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I was thinking that might be a possibility as well....seeming as you replaced the most obvious.

Dave
09-17-2007, 06:06 PM
ballast resistor? got a multimeter? is the coil getting juice?

jimtweet
09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
ballast resistor? got a multimeter? is the coil getting juice?

i was getting 12v to both the + and - side of the coil, with the key on,...after trying like 3 or 4 times to start i am down to 6 volts on the positive side of the coil and NOTHING on the negative,..so maybe i fried something or burned a fuse...

but even with 12volts to each side of the coil i was still getting no spark...is it possible to get a BAD brand new coil?

Dave
09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
could be, was the car running previously?

jimtweet
09-17-2007, 08:16 PM
could be, was the car running previously?

no, this car sat for 19 years

redwrxwagon02
09-18-2007, 11:29 AM
check your points gap and/or replace the points with the ballast resistor like dave said aftert that turn the motor over just using the starter solenoid you can use a screwdriver and if the car fires then thats your problem

jimtweet
09-18-2007, 12:27 PM
check your points gap and/or replace the points with the ballast resistor like dave said aftert that turn the motor over just using the starter solenoid you can use a screwdriver and if the car fires then thats your problem

bro you lost me, speak english, i do not know american cars to save my life, give me a subaru and i can do **** with my eyes closed...

Intercooled T
09-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Check the ground cable from battery to engine and again from battery to chassis. My bet is the car has corroded leads on the negative cable that grounds out on the chassis.

jimtweet
09-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Check the ground cable from battery to engine and again from battery to chassis. My bet is the car has corroded leads on the negative cable that grounds out on the chassis.

there is only one ground on the battery,...one cable going to the block and that is it, i just replaced it,...its the only ground that was coming off the battery stock...should i run another ground to the body?

Intercooled T
09-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not positive, but I thought where the negative cable connects to the battery, there is usually 1-2 smaller cables (like the size of your pinky) that come off it and ground at the chassis. I'm not a mustang expert so idk to be honest.

[edit] did you look at your old ground cable and see if it has more leads coming off it?

jimtweet
09-18-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm not positive, but I thought where the negative cable connects to the battery, there is usually 1-2 smaller cables (like the size of your pinky) that come off it and ground at the chassis. I'm not a mustang expert so idk to be honest.

[edit] did you look at your old ground cable and see if it has more leads coming off it?

yes i looked, and hooked everything back up the way it was...just with the new parts..there was only one cable coming off it to the block, i am gona run a ground to the body tonight and see what happens

jimtweet
09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
new points and condenser and WE GOT SPARK!, it will fire u pand run for 3 seconds if i put some fuel down the carb,...so fuel pump is bad cause the lines are all bone dry...hahahahaha, i was siked ...so i got a new fuel pump today and going to attempt to install it later this week

Ender81
09-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah I have to clean the points on my cars once a year so that doesn't happen

enigma
09-19-2007, 11:15 PM
replace it with a pertronix unit, and be done with points.
Pertronix part numbers-
1281- single points distributors
1281D- Dual Points distributors
1281DV- Dual points with vacuum advance.

Dave
09-19-2007, 11:22 PM
yah i gotta nix the points on the datsun

jimtweet
09-20-2007, 01:12 AM
trying to keep this one original guys,...but i will look into it

enigma
09-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Well, the nice part about pertronix, is that it is an internal swap out, so it looks original, but you get FAR better reliability. Unless you are going for a concours-numbers matching car show, theres no need to worry about little stuff like distributor guts, carberator, plug wires, exhaust. Performance related stuff that can be saved, and changed out in a heartbeat.

Ender81
09-20-2007, 07:15 AM
yeah replacing the points with an electronic module is no big deal, you don't modify anything and it sits inside the distributer so it doesn't look any different from the outside.

redwrxwagon02
09-20-2007, 09:36 AM
i've had great success with the crane cams fireball pointless points system on my 69 stang its so much easier and the install takes about 15 minutes