PDA

View Full Version : 2jzgte in an oldschool mk3

SUPRARICE87
08-31-2007, 01:20 PM
well, I have decided to go 2jz. my 7m still runs but it had a crappy rebuild. I think it's time to upgrade a bit. I know where I'll get the motor, and I know what I need. As far as doing the swap.... I am a bit lacking. The hard part will be the wire harness. is any body have a clue on the best way of wiring it up?

foss
08-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Go to a shop if you don't know.

martang
08-31-2007, 02:09 PM

:iagree: My cousin swapped a 1jz into his mk3 and I know it took him forever to do it. I still don't know if he finished it because last I heard he was so frustrated he stopped doing it.

SUPRARICE87
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
YEAH,and I know the 2j is no picnic. :mad:

I was thinking most people go stand alone.

If it's going to be my ultimate sports car, I need the 2jz. the ultimate sleeper.

lagos
08-31-2007, 08:14 PM

i dont agree at all. do the swap yourself. you'll be amazed at how much you will learn about your own car. just make sure you have done all your research before buying anything. i did my own swap, and learned a TON from it.

as far as the harness goes, just mail it out to this guy ... he has a good reputation for harness work in the celica community.
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/

circus_clown
09-01-2007, 03:34 AM
YEAH,and I know the 2j is no picnic. :mad:

I was thinking most people go stand alone.

If it's going to be my ultimate sports car, I need the 2jz. the ultimate sleeper.

my 7m seems to work fine for my ultimate sleeper

SUPRARICE87
09-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Right now I'm still thinking about holding on to the 7m but, after a rodknock after a rebuild You get tired hopefully I can get some help. money is going to be deverted towards my house fund so, I will see if I can get this 7m working right. This motor feels like a cancer patient, but maybe with a better doc. it will be better. surgery is unavoidable:(

mattcosta7
09-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Right now I'm still thinking about holding on to the 7m but, after a rodknock after a rebuild You get tired hopefully I can get some help. money is going to be deverted towards my house fund so, I will see if I can get this 7m working right. This motor feels like a cancer patient, but maybe with a better doc. it will be better. surgery is unavoidable:(

You got knock after a rebuild? Didn't you just rebuild it? What'ld you do wrong, torque incorrectly, or beat on it with low oil pressure/no oil/hg leak? If you just finished the rebuild it shouldn't knock that fast unless something wasn't done right.

If you paid for it, i'ld tear it down and see what went wrong.
(by that I mean, bring it back and have them do it on their dollar because a decent rebuild it couldn't have been unless they skimped on parts)

The 2jz is a damn fine engine, and I would say find someone to guide YOU through the swap. I've seen sites dedicated to it, and you should check supramania for locals who've done it (i think I remember some near you who have). Any swap is a complex thing, but it could be worth it. I still think people tend to overlook the 7m due to operator/factory failure (undertorqued head / running with low oil etc)

Do you check your oil and coolant daily, or keep a bottle of either with you at all times, if you don't that's a mistake because any 20 year old car should be treated as though it could be injured at any time. Hell, my mom's BMW X3 hit something, leaked oil, and she ran it with no oil, not even realizing until it stalled. I check oil before I turn the car on, each and every time. No exceptions. Everyone should.

SUPRARICE87
09-05-2007, 09:05 AM
YUP, I let the wrong people touch the car. well, he's giving me another motor. I'm going to keep it stock then rebuild the old one.
This time I will take my time and do it right.

mattcosta7
09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
YUP, I let the wrong people touch the car. well, he's giving me another motor. I'm going to keep it stock then rebuild the old one.
This time I will take my time and do it right.

Yeah man, damn right they should replace it if they didn't do it right the first time. Before you drop motor 2 in, either give it a rebuild yourself (you'll learn more about it this way then any other, or have it checked out).

The key with rebuilds, is to make sure it's done right the first time. Untorquing, or forgetting a hose is deadly. GL with what is in theory motor number 3 (or is it 4 for you), 2 or 3 rebuilds and a freshy.

The motor you're getting, how many miles? What kind of condition is that baby in?

Secondly, with the body style of an mk3, I don't think it ever constitutes a true sleeper. They look like late 80s sports cars, and usually if a car looks like it could be fast, it can be. Just my .02c. I usually think sleepers are more along the lines of family sedans, that run 10s/11s, or wagons

SUPRARICE87
09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
That's true in a way but when I tell people It's a mk3 people say..."oh, " Like the mk4 was the only fast one. I guess underated would be the proper word to use. also, most mk3 I see still are fighting with the bhg issue, and is far from perfect. hey, the cars are old. but they still get respect. even the non turbos (to a point):roll:

empera
09-06-2007, 10:58 AM
i would say build the 7m by 7m people (circus clown) the 2jz swap is gonna cost u...not only money but frustration. Its a nice swap but in the end you'll end up paying more than u thought.

S.Milone
09-06-2007, 03:00 PM
I have scene alot of 7m motors pop. Wouldn't be my route. I'm sure we can handle the job if you want to brin git our way. Also if we get you the motor and put it in and it is junk it is on us and we will get you a new one........... Think about it.

SUPRARICE87
09-07-2007, 11:41 AM
How Much Would It Cost

SUPRARICE87
09-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I've decided to throw in the donor motor for nowi'll take my time in building my old jdm. but before I put it in it will be checked by a pro. no more do-overs after this. I will then take my time building up the jdm one with help from the 7m crew:help:. I have to learn one day how to do it myself.

mattcosta7
09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I've decided to throw in the donor motor for nowi'll take my time in building my old jdm. but before I put it in it will be checked by a pro. no more do-overs after this. I will then take my time building up the jdm one with help from the 7m crew:help:. I have to learn one day how to do it myself.

DO me a favor with it. If the guy checking it goes to spec you're going to blow your Headgasket pretty easily. It's a good idea to have the block decked, and the head as well, use a metal gasket (make sure that the gasket size is correct for the amount of surface removed from the head/block), and use ARP head studs, with at least 70ft/lbs of torque, rather than the spec 50 or so. It will save you tons of headaches.

Then make sure you break it in right, dyno oil 10w30 for the first 3000 miles, taking it easy on the motor the entire time. Use toyota red coolant as well. Flush these both at the 3000 mile point, and replace them, using a pure synthetic, either Redline 5w30, or Castrol European Forumula 0w30 are my reccomendations for oil.

And as for cost of the 2jz swap, i'm unusre as to what they'ld charge for labor, but you'ld be looking at around 2500 for the motor alone, so it might end up being another thousand for the labor (i'm just speculating based on the time I have heard it can take to get right)

SUPRARICE87
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
THAT'S GOOD ADVICE! But as far as head bolts, I kick it up a notch 103lbs. when I rebuilt the motor he was going to do 55lbs. but I said at least 100 lbs. that's what the arp headbolts are for. both surfaces were done. this new motor most likely will be done the same. I'm getting some other goodies from a freind. if this motor is done right I'll be ok.

Have you done much to your supra yet?

SUPRARICE87
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
my 7m seems to work fine for my ultimate sleeper

WAIT! I THINK I SEEN YOUR MK3 IN SPORT COMPACT. iT HAS THE CF HOOD WHITE?
That car is alsome:eek:

I keep that mag in the bathroom. it made me rebuilt my motor. It's too bad I have to do it again.:cry:

silversup
09-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Either do the 7M or the 1J. Positive side of the 1J is you can swap out the bottom end for a 2JZ bottom end and regain your .5 liters. Keep in mind the 1J swap is easier because it uses the same tranny, driveshaft and cat back as the 7M.

7M built aint half bad either. Its all really in what you want and how much u wanna pay.

S.Milone
09-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I tried to pm you but you have pms blocked. So if you are still interested in a swap call us at 215-855-5565.

mattcosta7
09-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Have you done much to your supra yet?

Intake, exhaust, bov, some IC pipes, clutch/pp/fw, some new hoses, mostly maintanence work for the time being. I got the car in the beginning of the summer (end of june, early july), and being a self-supported college student doesn't leave lots of free time or money for mods, but I've got a good amount in the plans. Check out my build thread if you want to see what I've got going on: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39773

I haven't had a chance to show my latest mod, the infamous, park at the train station (out of necessity), and come back to see a lovely dent right on the driver's door hinge area. It is perfectly placed to make it look like i opened the door, and reverse while the door was stuck on something, but this is NOT the case. I need to spend a sunday reshaping it. UGH

SUPRARICE87
09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
It sure beats a bad motor build:mad:

I gotta rebuilt or motor swap, and the mech is tring to give me a 7mge motor. I can't put that >?<?>< in my car!!!! I am mad today.

SUPRARICE87
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
just to update, I just found the motor. comes with a killer price. next on the list is the motor mounts 1j bell housing and flywheel.

i'm on the road of no return now. :eek:

peteyturbo
09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
You need to do a 2jz swap with NAWZ!!!
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/syiproductions/2jz_swap.jpg

SUPRARICE87
09-19-2007, 04:06 PM
can't do naz. jz is more than enough

SUPRARICE87
09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I will buy the motor next month. after listening to everyone I decided I will just take my time, buy piece by piece put it together. if I wanted to I could get it done in a year, but gotta buy a house first. I'm gonna buy all the parts first then put it in at the same time.

as far as I know I would be the only one in the area that did a 2jz swap. That's enough alone to do it. and as I told jdmwill;
I have the alpha turbo body with omega turbo motor.

I won't have it any other way.:thumbup:

empera
09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
well....good luck.

SUPRARICE87
10-15-2007, 01:29 PM
GOOD NEWS!
Found out my turbo manifold had a hole in it and wasn't bolten down right!!
for now i will stay 7m until this thing blows. (t4 mani, 60-1, 30mm waste gate) :lol::lol::lol:

Ds650rida
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
if you decide to do the 2jz swap, www.supramania.com will be your best friend.

mattcosta7
11-12-2007, 01:28 AM
if you decide to do the 2jz swap, www.supramania.com will be your best friend.

Very true.

and if you're running a 60-1 it will probably blow soon. That wheel is just too much for the small ct-26 housings from what I've heard.

But, I'm curious, what type of numbers are you putting to the pavement now?

I've been somewhat gone for the past few months. School, work, and having no computer has destroyed me, but now that I have replaced the old computer rig, I should be back more often.

SUPRARICE87
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
well, it look like it was just the valves and seals needed attention. hopfully after this is done I should have a healthy 7m :roll: whatever that is. the 2j will have to wait.

Supraholic
11-13-2007, 09:28 PM
go checkout www.GTEpowered.com (I'm the site admin) You'll see plenty of 7Ms, including a 1300+ HP dragster that's run HARD all the time... 7Ms are great motors, is the users/builder that are at fault. They don't know what they are doing...

It mostly comes down to what YOU want. Once you pop them open, all bets are on the table.

SUPRARICE87
11-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I hear yah, I think I will be in good shape once this thing get out the shop. I'll let yah know how it goses.:thumbup:

Supraholic
11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
One thing I didn't realize is that your car in an 87, which means you'll have to change your subframe from an 87 to an 89 up in order to use the 1JZ mounts. Otherwise you're looking at a good amount of fab work.

Mensaf
11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Either do the 7M or the 1J. Positive side of the 1J is you can swap out the bottom end for a 2JZ bottom end and regain your .5 liters. Keep in mind the 1J swap is easier because it uses the same tranny, driveshaft and cat back as the 7M.

7M built aint half bad either. Its all really in what you want and how much u wanna pay.

Beat me to it. Then again, if you're still stuck on the 2jz swap, sell me all your old parts for my swap. 1j is nice, as is the 2j, but I'm still a huge 7m fan. Maybe just take another crack at rebuilding?

SUB2.5RS
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
I thought about a 2JZ at one point , but im not ballin like that. Pretty much if you got the money get what you want. But like most said its a headache (sp?). I'm building the 7M. Just an input for ya. Good luck though dude.

SUPRARICE87
11-24-2007, 04:14 PM
well the head is off and I'm going all out with the 7m. I have a t4 manifold but now I want to go the ct26 mod way. plus I don't think I could use my 3" downpipe. so if someone need a t4 manifold I got one. I