PDA

View Full Version : Sti sway bar question

S4toSTI
07-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Thinking about doing sway bars on my car and i have a few questions.
1. What company does everyone like for this application i.e. best most reliable best built stuff like that?
2. What says does everyone have on their wrx or sti?
3. My reason for getting them is i want to get alittle less roll and alittle less oversteer so would it be better to just do the rear or still do both and just do bigger outback?

All opions and facts will be greatly appreciated.

JasterM5
07-25-2005, 10:26 AM
obviosly i cant speak from experience, bu I keep hearing about Perrin. Seems to be a good company.

htheduck
07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
3. My reason for getting them is i want to get alittle less roll and a little less oversteer so would it be better to just do the rear or still do both and just do bigger outback?
All opions and facts will be greatly appreciated.

Your car is not neutral now? You want less oversteer?
I have the opposite problem and want less understeer. I'd be interested to hear the recommendations-I don't know the dynamics of an awd car.
-H :wiggle:

the mike
07-25-2005, 11:06 AM
A rear sway bar will INCREASE oversteer. I have never seen anyone trying to get rid of oversteer on an AWD car, they usually understeer like crazy.

S4toSTI
07-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah with the extra power it gets alittle too tail happy for my liking sometimes when i get on the throttle too hard in corners it has a tendency to oversteer a bit to violently.

the mike
07-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah with the extra power it gets alittle too tail happy for my liking sometimes when i get on the throttle too hard in corners it has a tendency to oversteer a bit to violently.

Driver error. :mrgreen:

S4toSTI
07-25-2005, 11:10 AM

Oh i am sure it is however when we auto-x if you would like to drive my car and feel it you are more then welcome... it even caught the instructor the last time and he almost lost it.

wgknestrick
07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Try changing the DCCD first. You can get mad understeer on some settings, but the 1st Yellow one from bottom should be more than enough. Auto mode is a little unpredictable when it changes torque split.

S4toSTI
07-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Try changing the DCCD first. You can get mad understeer on some settings, but the 1st Yellow one from bottom should be more than enough. Auto mode is a little unpredictable when it changes torque split.
Yes that is what it is but i don't wanna be messing with the dccd for everyday driving.

S4toSTI
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM

Oh i am sure it is however when we auto-x if you would like to drive my car and feel it you are more then welcome... it even caught the instructor the last time and he almost lost it.
Mike no interested :cry: anyone else wanna drive a cobb stage 2 sti.

htheduck
07-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Mike no interested :cry: anyone else wanna drive a cobb stage 2 sti.

I'll try-where and when? :mrgreen:
-H :wiggle:

Blurvision
07-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey man on my GC i have Cusco RSB. Cusco makes quality stuff and most of their sways are adjustable so u can get it how u like. If you want understeer get a front swaybar. If you want more oversteer get a rear sway bar.
-Mark

TROLL
07-25-2005, 03:20 PM
barry dont take it personally but at this point for both of us i think the most important mod is behind the steering wheel.
i really think the way you are entering turns is the problem if you're having problems with too much oversteer. i was having the exact opposite problem, and i know its not my car, its the fact that i was coming into the turns too hot and having to coast and plow through them.
of course you have a very powerful car but it is very capable of going in the direction you point it if driven correctly. front and rear swaybars will make your car handle better overall, but may not cure the problem you're having. the way you transfer the weight of the car and how fluid you transition into and out of turns and on and off the gas and brake are all extremely important to keeping your car in control when its at the limit.
if i were you i'd talk to some guys who race seriously about corner entry techniques and then try to practice them at the autox. if you find anyone who wants to give a crash course in how to turn fast then invite me too :D.
bryan

S4toSTI
07-25-2005, 03:23 PM
barry dont take it personally but at this point for both of us i think the most important mod is behind the steering wheel.
i really think the way you are entering turns is the problem if you're having problems with too much oversteer. i was having the exact opposite problem, and i know its not my car, its the fact that i was coming into the turns too hot and having to coast and plow through them.
of course you have a very powerful car but it is very capable of going in the direction you point it if driven correctly. front and rear swaybars will make your car handle better overall, but may not cure the problem you're having. the way you transfer the weight of the car and how fluid you transition into and out of turns and on and off the gas and brake are all extremely important to keeping your car in control when its at the limit.
if i were you i'd talk to some guys who race seriously about corner entry techniques and then try to practice them at the autox. if you find anyone who wants to give a crash course in how to turn fast then invite me too :D.
bryan
Yeah i agree it is not all about the auto-x i kinda want sways too.

htheduck
07-25-2005, 08:55 PM

bryan has the right idea here. i cannot comment on your driving style or skill level but you do hear the following phrases everywhere you go, from autoxs to tracks:

-drive slower, go faster
-slow in, fast out
-look ahead

listen to what your instructor (if it applies) has to say-he/she has many more hours behind the wheel than you-and go with an open mind to learn.

Managing weight transfer is the key to real driving. The bars do help. Also (optional) drive with 5-10 lbs less tire pressure in the rears if you want less oversteer. :mrgreen:

GNV Motorsports
07-26-2005, 03:34 PM
They are all basically the same, but my favorites are Perrin and Cusco.

Chris
GNV Motorsports