PDA

View Full Version : 03 Mustang Engine Swaps

Ryza24
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
im seriously interested in swappin my 4.6 for somethin more built/ bigger...

i was lookin at 5.0 Cammers
and 4.6 DOHCs

... i would lovvve a Boss 290 (5.4L)

.. i kno they can fit in my car.. i was jus wonderin opinions or if anyone has know or has done nething like this

77F-150
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
i would go with the 4.6 dohc. thats one sweet engine. and it has alot of potential.

96Stang
08-15-2007, 12:22 AM
dohc...id love to have a terminator in my car...ughhhh...dreamin

markley02
08-15-2007, 08:48 AM
If you have the funds....

5.4l or bust.

Sled
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
im seriously interested in swappin my 4.6 for somethin more built/ bigger...

i was lookin at 5.0 Cammers
and 4.6 DOHCs

... i would lovvve a Boss 290 (5.4L)

.. i kno they can fit in my car.. i was jus wonderin opinions or if anyone has know or has done nething like this

you would need a drop K-memeber and a cowl hood for for the 5.4L. its kind of a pan in the a$$. the DOHC 4.6 and 5.0's are awsome engines and can make alot of power. kinda no need for the extra work of the 5.4L, but hey its your money.

06evors
08-15-2007, 12:37 PM
How much $ does the 03-04 cobra engine go for?

Intercooled T
08-15-2007, 12:40 PM
What's wrong with your current 4.6? Plenty of mods out there for it...

Im2Slow
08-15-2007, 12:40 PM
i would say get the boss 5.4l and twin turbo it, a nice c4 trans and solid rear, and you will be set. but your gonna need some deep deep pockets.

Ryza24
08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
year to year ill be makin more money.. and the SOHC dosent have great internals... 450 MAX HP.. thats nothing for a mustang... all included blocks are lik 14k.. easy.. i might jus blow this one up.. by droppin an HP turbo set up in it for a wile and push 420 RWHP.. who knows thanks for the input

Im2Slow
08-16-2007, 01:40 AM
your welcome.

Dave
08-16-2007, 01:43 AM
navigator swap!

Sled
08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
navigator swap!

the navigator is a DOHC 5.4 right?? that would be almost worth it.

Mach1
08-16-2007, 05:34 PM
450hp is the max for the DOHC 4.6's too (terminator aside).

Your choices are:
1. Full build on your motor
2. 5.4 Navi swap
3. Termi Swap
4. build up motor useing the FR aluminum block Terminator motor.
5. build from the ground up using a Teksid block

WhiteFiveO
08-17-2007, 12:15 AM
How fast are you trying to go?? You say your internals can only handel 450hp but ive seen plenty of your yr mustangs with around that running 11s and faster in the 1/4 mile. I would say your best bet is to get heads cams and throw a blower on the car and you will be very happy with that setup

Dave
08-17-2007, 12:52 AM
the navigator is a DOHC 5.4 right?? that would be almost worth it.

i like to think of it as a cheap cobra R motor.

Intercooled T
08-17-2007, 07:13 AM
How come nobody mentioned exploder/mountaineer swap? Basically a cobra swap as well if you get the 4.6dohc

Sled
08-17-2007, 12:27 PM
How come nobody mentioned exploder/mountaineer swap? Basically a cobra swap as well if you get the 4.6dohc

their SOHC engine, not DOHC.

Sled
08-17-2007, 12:29 PM
450hp is the max for the DOHC 4.6's too (terminator aside).

Your choices are:
1. Full build on your motor
2. 5.4 Navi swap
3. Termi Swap
4. build up motor useing the FR aluminum block Terminator motor.
5. build from the ground up using a Teksid block

My buddies 01 cobra pushes 460rwhp with a blower and bolt ons. thats about 510bhp. any DOHC 4.6 can make good power.

Ryza24
08-17-2007, 02:06 PM
How fast are you trying to go?? You say your internals can only handel 450hp but ive seen plenty of your yr mustangs with around that running 11s and faster in the 1/4 mile. I would say your best bet is to get heads cams and throw a blower on the car and you will be very happy with that setup

thats my current plan.. but i want this thing low 10's in the future go big or go home ya know.. ;) but i just wanted to see what ppl thought about swaps for these things cause i never really hear of it or see it.. i plan on big enough cam, expensive heads and full intake.. and get the low end HP Twin T setup made for GTs... or a Kenne Bell... maybe a wile after the cam and heads.... i just was makin sure i dont want a swap.. cause i wouldnt want to do this much work on my car and then jus take the damn thing out.. but i could sell it..

haha be on the lookout for a REAL low milage TT 4.6 SOHC Engine 4 Sale in the future..

Intercooled T
08-17-2007, 03:23 PM
their SOHC engine, not DOHC.

Some had DOHC, not many, but they did...

Sled
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM

i work for a dealer and ive never seen one. what year was this?? i dont know how many explorer heads i've fixed because of the spark plug problem.

Sled
08-17-2007, 06:04 PM
thats my current plan.. but i want this thing low 10's in the future go big or go home ya know.. ;) but i just wanted to see what ppl thought about swaps for these things cause i never really hear of it or see it.. i plan on big enough cam, expensive heads and full intake.. and get the low end HP Twin T setup made for GTs... or a Kenne Bell... maybe a wile after the cam and heads.... i just was makin sure i dont want a swap.. cause i wouldnt want to do this much work on my car and then jus take the damn thing out.. but i could sell it..

haha be on the lookout for a REAL low milage TT 4.6 SOHC Engine 4 Sale in the future..

it takes alot more to run 10s than alot of HP. if you plan on running a manual car good luck! it takes alot of work to run low 10s.

ThePrimerSuspect
08-17-2007, 06:12 PM

aviators were DOHC. explorer/mountaineers are SOHC.

Ryza24
08-17-2007, 06:50 PM
it takes alot more to run 10s than alot of HP. if you plan on running a manual car good luck! it takes alot of work to run low 10s.

auto.. :cool: and yeah i kno im gonna need a new trans / suspension..

Intercooled T
08-17-2007, 07:44 PM
i work for a dealer and ive never seen one. what year was this?? i dont know how many explorer heads i've fixed because of the spark plug problem.

ThePrimerSuspect
08-17-2007, 11:17 PM
oh yea.....i forgot about the 3 valve motor.

05GT
08-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Honestly, and I'm not saying this because I'm biaist (sp?) lol, but going to a 5.4l isn't better per say then going with a terminator motor. Yeah its a bigger motor, but you have to remember that the terminator motor is a fully built/forged motor. IF I remember correctly you can get your hands on a good 03/04 motor for around $4k. Don't quote me on that, I'll have to look into it for you.

I've seen terminators on stock blocks running low 10s even 9s. You can easy put down 600rwhp and not have to worry about the motor. It's a great motor and very proven.

I definitly wouldn't waste money on a 3v, you might as well keep what you got and save your money before considering that swap. Trust me, sadly I know from experience. They don't handle much more the 450rwhp.

Sled
08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Honestly, and I'm not saying this because I'm biaist (sp?) lol, but going to a 5.4l isn't better per say then going with a terminator motor. Yeah its a bigger motor, but you have to remember that the terminator motor is a fully built/forged motor. IF I remember correctly you can get your hands on a good 03/04 motor for around $4k. Don't quote me on that, I'll have to look into it for you.

I've seen terminators on stock blocks running low 10s even 9s. You can easy put down 600rwhp and not have to worry about the motor. It's a great motor and very proven.

I definitly wouldn't waste money on a 3v, you might as well keep what you got and save your money before considering that swap. Trust me, sadly I know from experience. They don't handle much more the 450rwhp.

:iagree: their are 03/04 cobras out there making 800rwhp that have never had the heads off!!!

Ryza24
08-18-2007, 01:18 PM
IF I remember correctly you can get your hands on a good 03/04 motor for around $4k. Don't quote me on that, I'll have to look into it for you.

a terminator motor w/ s/c or withou id take for 4gs... let me know

05GT
08-18-2007, 01:26 PM

I'll see what I can find and I'll get back to you.

mtwn
08-18-2007, 04:09 PM

look around. my buddy just picked up a wrecked 03 for 7500.
now he's swapping the motor/trans and irs into his 98 cobra.

Ryza24
08-18-2007, 04:16 PM
look around. my buddy just picked up a wrecked 03 for 7500.
now he's swapping the motor/trans and irs into his 98 cobra.

yeah i would need a new trans with the motor too wouldnt i.. i have the automatic... im not sure if the cobra engine would be able to go with that tranny.. maybe i donno some1 tell me :lol: and if u live in deleware county around ridley or springfeild i believe i have seenn that convertable cobra b4

mtwn
08-18-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah i would need a new trans with the motor too wouldnt i.. i have the automatic... im not sure if the cobra engine would be able to go with that tranny.. maybe i donno some1 tell me :lol: and if u live in deleware county around ridley or springfeild i believe i have seenn that convertable cobra b4

nope jersey.:wink:

ozthunder
08-18-2007, 04:35 PM
God bless those cars..

mtwn
08-18-2007, 04:47 PM
God bless those cars..

:thumbup:

ozthunder
08-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Had they not been ridiculously expensive and rare to find, I'd have one myself.

05GT
08-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Had they not been ridiculously expensive and rare to find, I'd have one myself.

Indeed. Good call. Maybe one day? lol

ozthunder
08-18-2007, 05:31 PM
I dunno. I've become a GM/Holden guy. Right now its like what Peter Brock said.."I wouldn't even back a Ford down a driveway".

But who knows..I have more respect for Cobra's than I do any other stock car ~30/35K. I mean, they are just sick, sick, sick. And they don't need no stinkin' awd or turbo to do it! Well, they do need SC :wink:

Ryza24
08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
dont make me import a Falcon... i guarentee ud back that down a driveway... and no S/C there haha i love goats myself... if i had the money saved up id have one... but i had the money to buy the GT at the time so i did...

05GT
08-18-2007, 08:40 PM
dont make me import a Falcon... i guarentee ud back that down a driveway... and no S/C there haha i love goats myself... if i had the money saved up id have one... but i had the money to buy the GT at the time so i did...

Ryza, sign up over at SVTPerformance. Just looking real quick, there is a guy selling his motor and tranny and some other stuff. He wrecked his terminator, and it only had about 6,300 miles on it.

There are always sales like this going up over there. I'm still looking but that was just on the 1st page.

mtwn
08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Ryza, sign up over at SVTPerformance. Just looking real quick, there is a guy selling his motor and tranny and some other stuff. He wrecked his terminator, and it only had about 6,300 miles on it.

There are always sales like this going up over there. I'm still looking but that was just on the 1st page.

idno if anyone else has had or is havng this problem, but i just tried to register over there and it says my email address has been banned.. Ive never even registered on svtperformance ever.. and when i click the link to contact the admin it takes me to a error. :mad:

05GT
08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
idno if anyone else has had or is havng this problem, but i just tried to register over there and it says my email address has been banned.. Ive never even registered on svtperformance ever.. and when i click the link to contact the admin it takes me to a error. :mad:

Nope, haven't ever had that problem. Try creating another email address from hotmail or whatever and then try to register again. If it still doesn't work, then let me know and if you want, I will talk to one of the admins over there and get them to take a look and see what the problem is.

mtwn
08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Nope, haven't ever had that problem. Try creating another email address from hotmail or whatever and then try to register again. If it still doesn't work, then let me know and if you want, I will talk to one of the admins over there and get them to take a look and see what the problem is.

tried and failed again.:mad:
i'll stop the threadjack now tho.

ozthunder
08-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Ryza- if you got a Falcon, we'd duel to the death!

Ryza24
08-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Ryza- if you got a Falcon, we'd duel to the death!

sometime in the next couple years when i finish my apprenticeship.. ill look into it.. i donno how to go abouts importing one.. and if its street legal over here..

tried and failed again.:mad:
i'll stop the threadjack now tho.

im havin ur same problem.. email adress banned ??

ozthunder
08-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I know that there were several things between the GTO and the Monaro that are different in order to meet import laws. Emissions was one..as well as something with the bumpers and I believe the side marker lights.

If Ford was smart they'd bring one over..it'd be sweet. Esp. with the G8. Now if GM was smart they'd bring the new GTS and/or the LS7 GTS-R. Now THAT would be ****ing cool.

mtwn
08-19-2007, 05:27 PM
im havin ur same problem.. email adress banned ??

yep.
i tried 2 of my personal emails and my work email.
all "banned"..

Ryza24
08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
I know that there were several things between the GTO and the Monaro that are different in order to meet import laws. Emissions was one..as well as something with the bumpers and I believe the side marker lights.

If Ford was smart they'd bring one over..it'd be sweet. Esp. with the G8. Now if GM was smart they'd bring the new GTS and/or the LS7 GTS-R. Now THAT would be ****ing cool.

yeah it would prob bring them out of the slums with their profits... the XR6 with the most powerful Inline 6 MADE... and the style of the cars look mean.. yeah same with GM.. those Aussies get the better styling and cars.. its really not fair...

ozthunder
08-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Well..until the Americans get em, don't appreciate em, and then their value plummets so someone like I can afford one.

HickRocket1258
08-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Ryza as much as you don't like the 2v motors like I don't I'm gonna stick with it. Right now I'm really close to 13s with 2 boltons in good weather. 14.01 to be exact. My car will eventually be turned into a drag car but unlike you, I will stick with the motor and try to do as much as I can with it. My car has almost 72k miles on it and has been down the track at least 40 times this year alone. I don't see why you can't with the 4r70w trans? Personally I like it and I'm going to build it up in the far future. Anyways good luck with what you do.