PDA

View Full Version : clutch not disengaging

tretiak
08-10-2007, 12:44 AM
ok so i went to look at a 97 tsi awd that was in the paper today and i was told that the clutch will not disengage. i am a little worried that the motor my have crankwalked. the car has almost 91k on the stock clutch,so i need some input before i go and dump some money in the car on a clutch to then later find out the ****in thing crankwalked

please tell me i just need to buy a clutch

turbo4g63
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
possibly a slave cylinder or a master cylinder issue. my car has 93k on it and i am gonna need a new slave really soon. i am gonna just have it done at jnz or something. i don't feel like messing with it. if that is the case then they are an easy quick fix. If you are really interested in the car then tell the guy to have someone look at the car and find out why that is happening.

if you aren't interested, just pass this one up and find another car.

tretiak
08-11-2007, 05:29 AM
im extremly interested in the car its not every day you find a bone stock 97 tsi awd with one owner.im going to have my friend take a look at it and see what he says i should do

nissan4life
08-12-2007, 11:37 PM
i don't think it would be the master or slave cylinders because the clutch would not engage if that were it, my friend's slave cylinder on his s14 just went out and the clutch pedal went all the way to the floor without engaging and then the pedal didn't come back up

turbo4g63
08-12-2007, 11:58 PM
yeah true, i was just throwing some ideas out there for him. i know that there is no way to tell without ripping it apart and checking it all out

nissan4life
08-13-2007, 12:05 AM
if it's 91k on the stock clutch just replace it and u should be fine

koho2731
08-13-2007, 01:32 AM
It could bad a bad pressure plate, broken clutch fork, or even air in the hydro lines. If you can start the car in nutral and the car runs with out any grinding noise on the drivers side y the crank pulley you should be good, but it one of those things you have to rip it apart to know for sure

SuperHatch
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
When you go look at the car, bring someone with you. One of you push the clutch pedal while the other one observes the slave cylinder. If there is at least 3/4" of throw, than the hydraulics are fine. Assuming the hydraulics are fine, it is either a crankwalked motor (unlikely) or a failed clutch disk (likely). I know everyone likes to throw in the "crankwalk" card when talking about a DSM, but it is a very small percentage of these cars that have this problem. Especially stock cars.

turbo4g63
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
When you go look at the car, bring someone with you. One of you push the clutch pedal while the other one observes the slave cylinder. If there is at least 3/4" of throw, than the hydraulics are fine. Assuming the hydraulics are fine, it is either a crankwalked motor (unlikely) or a failed clutch disk (likely). I know everyone likes to throw in the "crankwalk" card when talking about a DSM, but it is a very small percentage of these cars that have this problem. Especially stock cars.

THANK YOU...someone who understands dsm's

enigma
08-15-2007, 10:56 PM
My clutch wouldn't disengage all the way when my TOB was shot.

Philly-Night-SR
08-18-2007, 07:56 PM
FYI I just had a very similar problem. A spring on the Clutch Disk popped out and got destroyed.

tretiak
08-19-2007, 02:39 AM
thank you guys so much i had totally forgot about this thread. when you put the car in first with the ebrake on and dump the clutch it will not stall. im still waiting to hear back from my bank