PDA

View Full Version : will 06 wrx calpiers fit on my 05 wrx

malloyboy1
08-01-2007, 10:49 PM
i just got wheels for my car and now you really see the ugly plain calpiers that were somewhat hidden behind the stock wheels. im wondering if stock (red) 06 calpiers will bolt right up to my 05 wrx. is there any difference in the two calipers other than the newer one being a cleaner look?

IMPREZvWRX
08-01-2007, 11:22 PM
There's a huge difference between teh two. If you're going for the look, you should look into a caliper painting kit.

malloyboy1
08-01-2007, 11:24 PM
ok so theres a big diff but will they fit and work. i heard yes but im not confident

IMPREZvWRX
08-01-2007, 11:38 PM
ok so theres a big diff but will they fit and work. i heard yes but im not confidentYes, they fit on the car, but you also need to know if they clear your wheels. What wheels do you have?

RyanG
08-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Yes they will bolt up with no problem.

BUT if you are running stock wheels they will not fit behind them. You need at least a 16x7 wheel to clear them.

Honest_Bob
08-02-2007, 06:03 AM
I've heard that some people run a 5mm spacer with the stock wheel to clear them. Dont quote me on it though.

TROLL
08-02-2007, 06:07 AM
fronts will bolt on, only issue is if your wheels will clear them but most 7" wide or wider wheels do clear them.
rears will not bolt on without swapping the backing plates or getting bracket adapters.

Buster
08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
eh you really only need the fronts anyways. Im going to to try a 5mm spacer with my 16s to see if they work. My cousin has an 06 so we can do this quickly.

malloyboy1
08-02-2007, 12:32 PM
i got a set of used motegi ff7's they are 17x7. what bracket part is it again that i will need for the rear calpiers to work, also where would i get it ?

NOPSTNS
08-03-2007, 06:02 PM
brake balance for FF FR and FA is all different crap! i got my homework cut out for me....

whatch urself if u follow retart busters idea.....going to a upgraded front caliper might do weird ass crap to the braking balance, i am not sure on if itll enhance front bias or withdraw it, common sense says enhance but .....im still researching this but will return later with my findings!

keith, spacers? are u serious? u gotta stop reading that super street crap, its got u all messed up.... use all that $ u got and get some wide wheels with lower offset!

malloyboy1
08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
so with the brake balance your talking about.... if i do the front and rear do you think ill have any problems or is that if i only do the fronts alone?

i have no intention of doing just fronts... im doing the brake swap for 2 reasons.

1. i think the new calipers will provide a little more stopping force compared to my calpiers because im told the 06 wrx is a little heavier.

2. to get rid of my ugly looking calipers because with the new wheels you see them more.

TROLL
08-04-2007, 08:39 PM
stopping distances will not be effected... the limiting factor on stock brakes or huge brakes will always be how much your tires grip the road.

the rotor on the 06 brakes is actually the same rotor as on the earlier WRXs, so you arent going to a larger rotor or increasing leverage in that respect, but what you are gaining is an opposed 4 piston caliper instead of a 2 piston floating design which will give better pedal feel and modulation.

not regarding this swap but in general, the reason to go to larger brakes is for track use and other extended hard braking where the heat builds up and up and up, and the larger calipers and rotors will dissipate that heat some whereas a smaller setup will just become overwhelmed and stay so hot that the function of the brake pad and rotor will be compromised (brake fade).

WRXD
08-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Just for the record-- not ALL 17'x7" fit. For examplet BBS RK wheels will not fit with the subie 4-pots but they are 17x7. I know this for a fact after a customer at work had to purchase spacers to make them work correctly.

malloyboy1
08-06-2007, 10:51 PM
so i might still need the 5mm spacers?