PDA

View Full Version : mkIII supra turbo fuel cutoff

nissan4life
07-21-2007, 02:52 PM
i am looking at buying a mkIII turbo supra but i heard if the computer detects that it is running 10-12 pounds of boost that it momentarily stops sending fuel to the motor i was wondering if anyone knows how to bypass this without spending any money or very little

pharnhyte
07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Boost Cut controller from Greddy I think. Turning up the boost is not the first thing u should be thinking about doing though, its called a tune-up, check the oil to make sure it does not have a blown head gasket, very common, due to the fact that toyota only torqued the head bolts to about 45 foot pounds instead of about 75. A intake and at least a three inch turbo back exhaust will get you almost 70hp more at the wheels, good luck, I miss my supra:(

Ds650rida
07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
do you really gain 70 whp from a turbo back exhaust and intake kit?

circus_clown
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
its actually an ignition cut, the fuel keeps flowing

Vince@R/TTuning
07-25-2007, 10:50 PM
^^^yea fuel cut would be bad....lol

empera
07-25-2007, 11:31 PM
fuel cut hits around 15-16...

jdmwill
08-12-2007, 09:25 PM
:supz::supz:i am looking at buying a mkIII turbo supra but i heard if the computer detects that it is running 10-12 pounds of boost that it momentarily stops sending fuel to the motor i was wondering if anyone knows how to bypass this without spending any money or very little

keep the boost low for now.their are other issues with the 7mgte you must address before turning up the boost.i built quite a few and the first thing to do is get some good guages oil preasure water temp "do not trust the stock unit".7m's have weak a oil pump specially with age.and the old stock radiator tends to clog up.
but for your main question boost cut on that is 11 pds and it cut off the FUEL not the spark.hks has a fuel cut defenser for the 7m's they're kind hard to find.:rock:

3" downpipe,3"exhaust,=190whp/220tq estimated at the wheels:supz:

SUPRARICE87
08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
YOU DRIVE AN AE86 ?! WOW:lol:
i WOLUD LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS.
IF YOUR GASKET STARTS TO LEAK CHANGE YOUR OIL IMEDIATLY
IF IT MIXES WITH THE IOL SAY BYE BYE TO YOUR ROD BEARINGS.
:cry: (BAD EXPERIENCE TALKING)

circus_clown
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
:supz::supz:

keep the boost low for now.their are other issues with the 7mgte you must address before turning up the boost.i built quite a few and the first thing to do is get some good guages oil preasure water temp "do not trust the stock unit".7m's have weak a oil pump specially with age.and the old stock radiator tends to clog up.
but for your main question boost cut on that is 11 pds and it cut off the FUEL not the spark.hks has a fuel cut defenser for the 7m's they're kind hard to find.:rock:

3" downpipe,3"exhaust,=190whp/220tq estimated at the wheels:supz:

you are wrong, it is actually ignition cut

nissan4life
08-24-2007, 02:55 PM

i saw the nicest ae86 yesterday with a fully built 7mgte, guy said he ran 12.2's on the stock motor and hasn't ran it with the 7m yet but he was going down to atco today, he said it lifts the front wheels my guess is mid/low 11's

jdmwill
08-25-2007, 12:50 AM
you are wrong, it is actually ignition cut
im not going to argue with you.ask rich over r/t tuning what happened over the dyno when my brothers ma70 hit 11 pd of boost.i guess that why hks calls it fuel cut defenser.s**t happens when nobody listen.

jdmwill
08-25-2007, 01:01 AM
i WOLUD LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS.
IF YOUR GASKET STARTS TO LEAK CHANGE YOUR OIL IMEDIATLY
IF IT MIXES WITH THE IOL SAY BYE BYE TO YOUR ROD BEARINGS.
:cry: (BAD EXPERIENCE TALKING)
i havent had a chance to post them but part of the build is already on importfanatix with plenty of pics.
by the way if you guyz and girlz are free this saturday.come on down to ikea over delaware ave.my brothers ma70 may be down their along with ae86.the meets start around 9:30pm and until it open to jdm,drift oriented vehicles.please be on your best behavior and remember to say hi.

mattcosta7
08-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Definitely DO NOT go near a boost controller until you make sure the 7mgte is in prime condition. Go through all the hoses with a fine toothed comb, and make sure that nothing is leaking. MAKE SURE the turbo is in good condition! If you can, I suggest you replace the head gasket before it blows. Get the head and block machined, use a metal gasket, and torque ARP STUDS to at least 70ft/lbs before worrying about adding boost.

As stated, the stock gauges suck, so getting more accurate aftermarket boost/oilpressure/water temp is well worth it, as these three gauges will help to save you a ton of headache, especially on this engine (at its age).

Another key is the coolant. It's alittle more pricey, and requires a trip to a toyota service/parts depot, but use toyota's brand of coolant. It's a red coolant, and is based on a different chemical than the green is. The green can actually cause corrosion to occur (I do not know the exact reasoning behind this offhand).

Yes, a 3" turbo-back will not yet a good amount of power, very quickly. The stock exhaust is VERY restrictive, from the undersized turbo elbow, all the way to the roundabout piping and tight cat-back.
Turbos love to breath, so the bigger your exhaust, the faster it will spool, and the easier it will be to create power.

Generally when building a 7m (as with most engines, if not all) you should follow a similar pattern
--First, make the engine perform as if it had just left the factory
--Second, replacing the hoses with higher quality/metal/etc is always a great decision to improve their longevity and aesthetic value.
--Thirdly, engines are air pumps, so breathing is very important. Stock intakes and exhausts are generally very restrictive, so upgrade those
--From here it depends on the engine's health, and how strong the stock parts are as far as internals go. This will help decide your next step. How strong is the clutch/drivetrain? How about pistons/rods/etc? (in the case of the 7mgte, the rods/pistons are plenty strong, so long as they're in good shape.
--After the engine is made bulletproof, you can consider upgrading the boost or the turbo to a model capable of much more boost than the stocker.

It's very important that you make sure that the first three steps (or at least one and three, 2 is more optional, but recommended.)

circus_clown
08-25-2007, 01:21 AM
im not going to argue with you.ask rich over r/t tuning what happened over the dyno when my brothers ma70 hit 11 pd of boost.i guess that why hks calls it fuel cut defenser.s**t happens when nobody listen.

again, you are wrong, but if you insist, you are right, I guess I know nothing about 7m ecu's and how they work, I guess I'm not the one who has had a fully built 7m that has run on everything from stock ecu to a full stand alone which I have running on primarly stock sensors.