PDA

View Full Version : TROLL's ballin daily driver: 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro - back on the road

TROLL
07-16-2007, 09:38 AM
So... I picked up a daily driver. Its a 2000 Ebony Pearl (black metallic) Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with 90k miles. Its automatic, has sunroof, autodimming rear and sideview mirrors, leather heated seats, heated locks and sideview mirrors, ski sock passthrough thing, and I don't know what other options.
One thing I really love that I wouldn't have expected is the huge trunk and the rear seats folding down completely. I can throw my road bike in the back of the car with ease! Love it...
Found it on Craigslist of all places, and it was a hell of a price. Kind of rough around the edges when I went to look at it but I knew it was all stuff that I could take care of and she'd shine up nicely.
Bought the car on July 5th and I've been pretty busy taking care of all the little crap with it since. I really wish I took photos of it from the start because all the little things add up and its really come a long way already.

so far i have:
07/05 - realigned front bumper (still needs a bit more)
07/05 - realigned lower chin spoiler
07/06 - fixed center AC vent
07/08 - ordered touchup paint (it definitely needs it in a few spots)
07/09 - had small cracks in front windshield repaired
07/12 - replaced busted flex pipe in the exhaust
07/12 - charged AC
07/14 - replaced front 02 sensor
07/14 - replaced front passenger window regulator
07/15 - fixed rear drivers side door rattle
07/15 - cleaned the hell out of the interior (wow what a difference)

right now it is at the shop for:
timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket, chain tensioner gasket (edit: done 7/19)

still on the list:
paintless dent repair
good full detail (edit: done 7/20)

Plans for the car are to get some nicer wheels to replace the curbed 15s on there currently (have my eye on a set but we'll see if I take the plunge), lower it a bit, and tint it. Thats it, and I'm putting that in writing right here and now. Ok maybe I'll clear the headlights one day when I'm bored or get a euro plate, but no major mods on this one, its the daily driver after all.

I had been looking for a mint mk2 GTI but realized that it wont be very easy to find one and I kinda wanted a daily driver relatively quickly, so when this A4 slapped me in the face way below KBB I jumped on it. The Subaru is going under the knife very soon and will be down for about 2 weeks so the timing worked out well here.

Pictures coming soon...

edit: finally, photos...

Ebony Pearl... looks suuuuper dark gray normally, but in direct sunlight if you look close...
http://www.bryantroll.com/other/audiphotos/paint.jpg

yeah its stock, awesome
http://www.bryantroll.com/other/audiphotos/audi1.jpg

http://www.bryantroll.com/other/audiphotos/audi2.jpg

http://www.bryantroll.com/other/audiphotos/audi3.jpg

tst represent
http://www.bryantroll.com/other/audiphotos/rear.jpg

real comfortable, loving it
http://www.bryantroll.com/other/audiphotos/interior.jpg

also didnt realize i'd love having a massive trunk and seats that completely fold down.
http://www.bryantroll.com/other/audiphotos/trunk.jpg

redwrxwagon02
07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
sweet man you have been busy nice find cant wait to see pics gl with it

Calvinball
07-16-2007, 09:43 AM
pics! once its back of course

Raven18940
07-16-2007, 09:47 AM
You're making a member journal for your DD? :bigeek:

TROLL
07-16-2007, 09:49 AM
you shut up. some people didnt know about it and were asking, and although this wont be the longest or most interesting journal thread, it is the appropriate place to talk about the car i own and maybe some people will be interested in what i've got going on. plus, it is getting a few mods, duh.
and damnit i was gonna go take pics right now but i just remembered that i just dropped it off to get that stuff done, haha.

Intercooled T
07-16-2007, 09:51 AM
edit: [R]S4 rims and call it a day, she's a beaut Clarke

Raven18940
07-16-2007, 10:01 AM
you shut up. some people didnt know about it and were asking, and although this wont be the longest or most interesting journal thread, it is the appropriate place to talk about the car i own and maybe some people will be interested in what i've got going on. plus, it is getting a few mods, duh.
and damnit i was gonna go take pics right now but i just remembered that i just dropped it off to get that stuff done, haha.

:-p just messing with ya. :wink:

CarbonIS
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
not gonna lie, I'm jealous.

Calvinball
07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
plus, it is getting a few mods, duh.

www.awe-tuning.com :cool:

anthracite93
07-16-2007, 10:41 AM
i was looking at these before i got the grand cherokee. truth be told i probably should have gone this route.

nice pick up.

TROLL
07-16-2007, 10:43 AM
ha yeah i called AWE this morning to talk about springs/struts. i think i'm going to go with h+r sport springs with bilstein sport struts... perhaps pick them up this weekend at Waterfest for a discount?

and the 'ballin' thing is totally a joke right now... the car is rolling on 15s and looks like a monster truck with the ride height... totally cheapens the look of the car. it is incredibly comfortable as is but i think it would transform the car to get some classy wheels, lower it a bit and add some tint.

CarbonIS
07-16-2007, 10:47 AM
you should VIP it troll.

Honest_Bob
07-16-2007, 11:12 AM
You've got a pretty long mod list for a daily driver. PDR? Rims? I could see the springs if the current struts are shot.

Your a madman. :-p

piknockout
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Pics or ban. :-p

TROLL
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
ha yeah well the PDR is overkill i admit, but there are a few spots on the trunk and by the gas cap door that for like $100 i'd love to see disappear.

and yeah i'll have to post photos of current wheels and ride height vs. a mostly stock A4 that is lowered and has nice wheels, and then you'll understand. but yeah, it is kinda dumb to throw more money at this car but i cant help it and this should really be the end of it.

RayArroyo
07-16-2007, 11:53 AM
he has a baller dd, he can do this!!! now bill on the other hand?

lol just kidding bill.

troll pics or ban yourself for 1 day

TROLL
07-16-2007, 11:56 AM
i know i know i was planning to go take pics after i posted the thread but then i remembered my car is like 20 mins away at a shop right now, haha. i'll have it back tomorrow night and i'll take pics.

Raven18940
07-16-2007, 11:58 AM
ha yeah i called AWE this morning to talk about springs/struts. i think i'm going to go with h+r sport springs with bilstein sport struts... perhaps pick them up this weekend at Waterfest for a discount?

Can I persuade you to wait, Bilstein Sports are hard shocks, I don't know if it's a good idea for your DD, and H&R's are firm springs too. I've got Eibach springs and Bilstein HD's on my saab right now and I'm fitting Bilstein Sports in a week. Why not go for a ride before and after and see if it's what you want?

Personally I'd suggest something like S4 springs with Bilstein HD's. Not too extreme, but still sporty.

Calvinball
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
:banana: just chip it fool!

TrboChicsRock
07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Does it have door panels?

Calvinball
07-16-2007, 01:47 PM
ha yeah i called AWE this morning

I just rolled by there on my way back to the office from an appointment, in the company '95 corolla wagon no less. One of their customers in a nice-looking R32 that was ruined with stickers pulled out after me. I was going over the speed limit, and its not even a quarter mile to my office, but as I turned in to my parking lot i notice in my rearview the guy giving me the hardest freakin look he could out the side of his car :bigeek: whaaaa? haha

TROLL
07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Can I persuade you to wait, Bilstein Sports are hard shocks, I don't know if it's a good idea for your DD, and H&R's are firm springs too. I've got Eibach springs and Bilstein HD's on my saab right now and I'm fitting Bilstein Sports in a week. Why not go for a ride before and after and see if it's what you want?

Personally I'd suggest something like S4 springs with Bilstein HD's. Not too extreme, but still sporty.

well i know that even the same suspension brand and model varies from car to car, and from what i've researched the bilstein sport is intended for a lowered vehicle while the hd is not. and the h+r sport springs provide a moderate drop and are not as stiff as a lot of the other options out there... basically this sounds like the most comfortable lowered setup available.
and from what i've read, the S4 suspension is not lowered but it is incredibly stiff.

Does it have door panels?
listen you... sorry i didnt impress you this weekend, but yes the door panels are on and the car is quieter than ever!

just chip it fool!
na, its gonna stay slow as balls for life... reliability and longevity are more important to me than performance with the A4. when i want 350+ ft lbs i'll get in the subie :)

Raven18940
07-16-2007, 03:32 PM
well i know that even the same suspension brand and model varies from car to car, and from what i've researched the bilstein sport is intended for a lowered vehicle while the hd is not. and the h+r sport springs provide a moderate drop and are not as stiff as a lot of the other options out there... basically this sounds like the most comfortable lowered setup available.
and from what i've read, the S4 suspension is not lowered but it is incredibly stiff.

Just tryin to help, look at it as a side by side comparison of the relative stiffness. As for S4 springs, I didn't really know much about them, just figured they'd be a bit stiffer and a little lower.

But I can say that the HD's make a good everyday shock and they work with mildly lowered cars (~1", like the H&R springs), but for absolute performance they'll be slightly underdamped with a stiffer spring. Again for an everyday car where ride quality is preferred over absolute performance, they're good. I'm changing mine cause I want the greater performance and responsiveness that comes with a car that's slightly overdamped.

TROLL
07-18-2007, 02:39 AM
yeah i'm pretty locked in on the h+r sport springs and bilstein sport shocks at this point based on what i've read on other forums, etc. wish i could get a ride in a car with that setup but not sure how to go about that unless i convince someone go give me a ride around the parking lot at water fest this weekend, ha.
the audi has actually been in the shop the past couple of days to get the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, accessory belts, valve cover gasket, and i forget what else done.
its weird, but i kinda miss it. driving the subaru to work is kinda beat, haha.
i'm picking it up tomorrow night though, and when i do... pics! wish i took some from the beginning because all the little stuff i've done has already really improved the car, and you just wait for what i've got in store for it soon :devil:

TROLL
07-22-2007, 11:01 AM
better late than never... added photos to the first post.

also got some stuff done that was on the list:

timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, accessory belts, thermostat, coolant, valve cover gasket, chain tensioner gasket

and got it detailed which did take out a lot of the scratches so thats good. still far from perfect but thats just me being critical.

pete_chon
07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
nice, gonna let me drive it this weekend?

Raven18940
07-23-2007, 07:42 AM
So your car wasn't stolen then?

twistedlanes
07-23-2007, 07:56 AM
did he ever say how much he got it for?

CarbonIS
07-23-2007, 08:08 AM
looks like a nice, comfy and luxurious ride my friend.

Broken5hift
07-23-2007, 08:51 AM
looks like a great DD. good luck with it

TROLL
07-23-2007, 10:45 AM
nice, gonna let me drive it this weekend?
sure... havent seen ya in a while man, get in touch for sure. maybe come check out the swap one day... hopefully we'll be rmajorly eassembling by then.

So your car wasn't stolen then?
ha nope, it was a case of no call / fell asleep... but all is well that ends well.

did he ever say how much he got it for?
Details there are...
$8900 is KBB (they usually sell a bit under that). He was asking $4500 fromthe start which I was a little suspicious of. Went to check it out in person and it was definitely rough around the edges but all in all a very solid car. I got him down to $3600 plus tax, title, inspection, etc so it was right about $4000 out the door there.
It needed what would have cost about $2500 in repairs and upcoming maintenence if you just dropped it off at the dealer, plus the car had a lot of light scratches and some pretty bad ones on the rear bumper.. I ordered the parts needed online, did some of the stuff myself, and had a mechanic do the rest on his own time so my total costs for repairs and upcoming maintenence was $1000, including a detail that removed most of the scratches and really brought the color of the paint out, as you can see from that first photo. Thats where I am now... I've got $5000 into it total and just a scratched up rear bumper remains, which I'm not gonna worry about that. I have some touchup paint which should improve things a bit.
More than I was planning to spend, but more car than I was planning to get. Never planned on looking at an A4 but I'm very happy with how things went down.

looks like a nice, comfy and luxurious ride my friend.
looks like a great DD. good luck with it
yeah, i'm digging it, thanks guys. little scared of unexpected problems which can get costly, but hopefully i wont have to worry about that.

Raven18940
07-23-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm gonna admit I thought that thing was totally beat when you got it, but now it's actually pretty nice. Fantastic job. :thumbup:

Forget the suspension nonsense, just enjoy the smooth ride. While great for performance, the Bilstein Sports ride pretty firm on the highway. It's just a bit too hard to call it comfortable.

TROLL
07-23-2007, 11:12 AM
yeah there was a lot of little stuff going on with the car but i knew i could fix pretty much all of it, and she cleaned up nicely. too bad i dont have photos of when i first got it... i really wish i did so people could appreciate how everything came together

for right now i'm holding off on wheels and suspension... its just kinda silly to compromise the comfortable ride and right now especially money is tight with the subaru swap going on and all.
i might have to tint the windows soon though....

blu4door
07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Your right about the trunk. You could put a dead body in that thing.

TROLL
07-23-2007, 11:31 AM
yeah pretty sick... i got a yakima rack for my bike and for snowboards in the winter, but i dont need it any more.
i fold down the seats and my large frame road bike slides right in, all i have to do is pull the front wheel off.
very niiice!

CleanNeon98
07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
how reliable are these cars. my friends are trying to get me to get a euro car for my next car, but i keep hearing bad things about their build qualities...i say maxima they say a4, i say tl they say passat. honestly i like the audis and vws but i dont know about their quality...any personal experience?

TROLL
07-23-2007, 12:10 PM
they're usually expensive to maintain.

twistedlanes
07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Yea they are...My Family has had many different BMWs just because they love them but always have to get rid of them when they start to give them problems. Euros just look so Damn good noone can ever let them go though.

Raven18940
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah, euros generally suck to maintain, but I love to drive it so much.

twistedlanes
07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
you gonna throw any equipment to listen to your daily driving tunes Troll?

TROLL
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
yeah i am probably goign to move over all of the audio stuff over to the audi...

Pioneer AVIC-D3 Head Unit / Navigation with Ipod integration
MB Quart QSD-216 6.5" Components
Alpine 4 Channel Amp
JL 12w3 Subwoofer
Dynamat (more than i was willing to put into the WRX)
Valentine 1 Radar Detector (hardwired)
Viper Alarm and Remote Start

pete_chon
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
when did u get a d3? what did u do with the old alpine stuff?

TROLL
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
its gone... sold the nav to someone on here and the head unit was involved in a trade for the new engine :)
i still have the tv tuner sitting in my room now that you mention it, and the dock for the blackbird. i should probably throw them on ebay...

TROLL
07-25-2007, 05:01 AM
the pos audi started flashing low oil pressure and left me stranded in princeton tonight with barry. its now almost 5am and i just got home... this ****in car.
hopefully its a simple and inexpensive fix, but we'll find out soon enough, already dropped it off at the shop.
thanks a million to fred for saving the day with his AAA Plus card with free towing, and sorry to barry for not having you home by midnight like i promised.

twistedlanes
07-25-2007, 08:38 AM
aww don't call it names...trust me it didn't mean to do that. Speaking from experience....unless you apologize it will keep leaving you stranded.

Raven18940
07-25-2007, 08:55 AM
aww don't call it names...trust me it didn't mean to do that. Speaking from experience....unless you apologize it will keep leaving you stranded.

Yeah, a euro is like a girlfriend, unless you admit you're wrong (even if it's not your fault) you'll regret it later.

whiteturbo
07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
sludge????

lagos
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
the pos audi started flashing low oil pressure and left me stranded in princeton tonight with barry. its now almost 5am and i just got home... this ****in car.
hopefully its a simple and inexpensive fix, but we'll find out soon enough, already dropped it off at the shop.
thanks a million to fred for saving the day with his AAA Plus card with free towing, and sorry to barry for not having you home by midnight like i promised.

you can swap a subaru, but you take the audi to a shop? thats odd..lol

Intercooled T
07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
how was oil pressure reading before it went into the shop? Normal 20-40psi? Changed it recently?

hopefully just the sending unit, and not the oil pump. Idk why, but engine oil sludge is a common problem on a lot of audi/vw cars, praying for the best.

naDintheHat
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah, a euro is like a girlfriend, unless you admit you're wrong (even if it's not your fault) you'll regret it later.

Seriously.... Go visit it in the shop and bring it flowers.

Damn troll that sucks, hopefully it was just something cheap to fix.

TROLL
07-25-2007, 01:25 PM
yeah, just one project car thanks. as silly as it feels i dont ever plan to be an expert in the audi engine bay... i'm learning but right now i'm not really educated enough to dig into it too much. i've got a good tech to look after it though and he's very reasonable.

it could be:

1) sludge... in the oil drain tube, oil pickup, or elsewhere that is clogged and not allowing the oil to flow freely. pretty much like a blood clot leading to a heart attack. varies in expense depending on what and where.

2) dying oil pump... self explanatory. about $140 in parts plus a good amt of labor.

3) bad oil pressure sending unit... $12 to replace and i could do it myself.

and worst case is that the heads got fubared as a result of not having suitable oil pressure, but from what i've read thats unlikely.

i'll keep ya updated. stupid audi. if i dont get it up and running quickly then it may get in the way of me getting down to the subaru to work on that and finish it up :(
thanks for the positive wishes though, we'll see...

grimm
07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
an Audi as a DD :screwy: sounds more like you bought a luxury sedan. that car will probably give you more trouble then your subie ever will. In addition the repairs and maintenance will be more expensive as well. But I hope you have good luck with it.

Honest_Bob
07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Dude, you bought an Audi for a DD. I'll pray for you.

TROLL
07-25-2007, 01:49 PM
well parts and labor are a lot cheaper for me than if i just dropped it off at the dealership, and from everything i hear, if you do preventative maintenence and treat the car well it'll be good.

naDintheHat
07-25-2007, 01:55 PM
well parts and labor are a lot cheaper for me than if i just dropped it off at the dealership, and from everything i hear, if you do preventative maintenence and treat the car well it'll be good.

Good chance it will outlast most other cars. Mild things here and there. 145K on my vw and only issue right now is a strange noise coming from the shifter when i shift into second.

TROLL
07-25-2007, 02:02 PM
yeah the previous owner said he did oil changes ever 5k and used synthetic... he seemed liek a pretty quiet and honest guy (he insisted we claim full sale price at the title place and as a result be taxed accordingly) so i believed what he was saying, but maybe he didnt use synth and thats why the sludging issues have come up.
either way, it'll be cleaned out properly now and it'll get synth from here on out so hopefully this problem will be fixed and never arise again.

naDintheHat
07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
yeah the previous owner said he did oil changes ever 5k and used synthetic... he seemed liek a pretty quiet and honest guy (he insisted we claim full sale price at the title place and as a result be taxed accordingly) so i believed what he was saying, but maybe he didnt use synth and thats why the sludging issues have come up.
either way, it'll be cleaned out properly now and it'll get synth from here on out so hopefully this problem will be fixed and never arise again.

Oh yeah and dont use aftermarket powersteering fluid..

Intercooled T
07-25-2007, 02:18 PM
sounds like some good guesses Troll, the blod-clot theory isn't uncommon. I just hope you killed the engine when the dummy light went on.

grimm
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Yea, don't they say that about all cars?
I speak from my buddies/room mates experience with his.

TROLL
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
exactly, the same with all cars... so there's no reason that it should be any less reliable than all cars.
i know what you're saying though, but its a tossup regardless of what direction you head in.

redwrxwagon02
07-25-2007, 02:37 PM
exactly, the same with all cars... so there's no reason that it should be any less reliable than all cars.

pwned

any update from the shop???? im interested to see what exactly happened
and if it is an oil clog in one of the turbo oil lines you may want to invest in a nice little turbo timer

grimm
07-25-2007, 03:42 PM
pwned? :screwy: because he agreed with me that his statement was very generic. (oh it was nice that you edited that part out)

we all know certain cars are more reliable then others, in fact i believe there are awards given out for these things in the automotive industry, I don't recall Audi or VW getting any such award... do you? Again if my memory serves me right didn't subaru get the most reliable manufacturer award a few years ago?

jd-power by brand (http://www.jdpower.com/util/ratings/results.aspx?study_id=207&vertical=Autos&order=0&orderDir=3)

now who got pwned?

TROLL
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
ok ok no reason to fight. i know that there are certain generalizations about certain cars, but they dont hold true 100%.
besides, if i had to pay $4000 for a new engine even, i would then have invested KBB into the car exactly. but lets not talk about that, i like where i'm at now financially with it better.

Broken5hift
07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
you must have installed a big brake kit on the car just prior to this happening

S4toSTI
07-25-2007, 04:13 PM
ok ok no reason to fight. i know that there are certain generalizations about certain cars, but they dont hold true 100%.
besides, if i had to pay $4000 for a new engine even, i would then have invested KBB into the car exactly. but lets not talk about that, i like where i'm at now financially with it better.

Dude don't even say new engine yet.

BlackBulletTSi
07-25-2007, 04:16 PM
you better knock on wood sucka and not jinx urself

redwrxwagon02
07-25-2007, 04:17 PM
pwned? :screwy: because he agreed with me that his statement was very generic. (oh it was nice that you edited that part out)

we all know certain cars are more reliable then others, in fact i believe there are awards given out for these things in the automotive industry, I don't recall Audi or VW getting any such award... do you? Again if my memory serves me right didn't subaru get the most reliable manufacturer award a few years ago?

jd-power by brand (http://www.jdpower.com/util/ratings/results.aspx?study_id=207&vertical=Autos&order=0&orderDir=3)

now who got pwned?

hahahahaahha :giggles: dear sir i edited nothing out of the quote

point b i was just effin with ya jesus i guess i cant joke around anymore

and if your going to get so defensive so quickly theres no need for you to be posting on the intarnerd everyone hates constantly on forums everywhere or join the hating fun on nasioc ~reasons why i stay away from there~ no hard feelings and btw i drive a subaru lol

sorry for the OT post i wanted to clear that up

and troll even for the money you've put into it already its a nice buy especially for a dd

*edit* troll must have edited his previous statement b4 i quoted it therefore i did not edit his quote

Broken5hift
07-25-2007, 04:59 PM
you must have installed a big brake kit on the car just prior to this happening

no one got that?

TROLL
07-25-2007, 05:02 PM
yeah we did but its lacking originality and humor completely. go sit in the corner.

Broken5hift
07-25-2007, 05:03 PM
yeah we did but its lacking originality and humor completely. go sit in the corner.

well i didnt want to get another warning

redwrxwagon02
07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
bump for an update

Raven18940
07-26-2007, 12:37 PM
bump for an update

Yeah, WTF?

TROLL
07-26-2007, 01:06 PM
tech looked at it yesterday, he's going to check the sending unit first, but if thats not bad then he's gotta drop the subframe to pull the oil pan where he'll check the oil pickup to see if thats clogged.
unfortunately he's not at work today but hopefully he'll be able to get a lot done tomorrow with it.

redwrxwagon02
07-26-2007, 01:15 PM
nice well at least progress is being made

lagos
07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
yeah, just one project car thanks. as silly as it feels i dont ever plan to be an expert in the audi engine bay... i'm learning but right now i'm not really educated enough to dig into it too much. i've got a good tech to look after it though and he's very reasonable.

it could be:

1) sludge... in the oil drain tube, oil pickup, or elsewhere that is clogged and not allowing the oil to flow freely. pretty much like a blood clot leading to a heart attack. varies in expense depending on what and where.

2) dying oil pump... self explanatory. about $140 in parts plus a good amt of labor.

3) bad oil pressure sending unit... $12 to replace and i could do it myself.

and worst case is that the heads got fubared as a result of not having suitable oil pressure, but from what i've read thats unlikely.

i'll keep ya updated. stupid audi. if i dont get it up and running quickly then it may get in the way of me getting down to the subaru to work on that and finish it up :(
thanks for the positive wishes though, we'll see...

1. sludge... if thats your problem, you whole engine is shot.

2. bad oil pump.... they almost never fail. its a very simple mechanical device

3. bad sender... very likely.

when was the last time you checked the oil level? besides the light coming on, what other symptoms did the car have? my guess is that you have an oil leak somewhere (unless the car had some other symptoms ontop of the light).

TROLL
07-26-2007, 02:27 PM
sludge is a very common issue with teh 1.8T motors and it definitely doesnt mean the motor is shot, it just needs to be flushed out properly. the bad thing from the sludge is when it finally creates a blockage and lowers oil pressure.

the bad sender thing... hopefully thats it.

i had the car inspected by a tech and i also checked the oil level myself last week, and i checked it again when the light went on, and its still at the right level. oil temps were also normal.

it really seems like the sender goes bad or the oil pickup in the pan clogs up, unfortunately you have to pull the subframe to get to the oil pan and you have to drop the oil pan to get to the oil pickup, so its a big process.

deb38
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
go with a s4 swap if you need a new motor (doubt that you will)...make that car a sleeper

Raven18940
07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I like to pull the valve cover before I drop the sump. If it looks clean up top it's usually clean down below and vice versa.

Buster
07-26-2007, 03:37 PM
no one got that?

I laughed. this is why i forced the beetle turd out. german econoboxes eat moldy cheez

lagos
07-26-2007, 03:44 PM
the bad thing from the sludge is when it finally creates a blockage and lowers oil pressure.

yeah toyotas have the same issue. problem is, when oil pressure drops, rings,bearings,valves, etc... dont get the lubrication they need and you get internal damage.

you should have the mechanic hook up a real oil pres gauge, in place of the idiot light sender. that should help figure out if the problem is with the sender or not.

Raven18940
08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Bump for update.

TROLL
08-01-2007, 10:48 AM
oil pressure switch was cracked when he pulled it out, i ordered one right away and it should be here today hopefully. we'll see if that THE problem or if it goes deeper.

redwrxwagon02
08-01-2007, 04:48 PM
bump for an update!!!!

naDintheHat
08-02-2007, 12:40 AM
I second the bump... DAMNIT TROLL WE NEED TO BE INFORMED! Some of use live thru this forum.. Ok im tired.

TROLL
08-04-2007, 05:55 PM
picked it up today with a new oil pressure sensor... hopefully thats it and i dont get any more low oil pressure lights.

justice
08-08-2007, 12:21 AM
can't go wrong with the a4. Especially since you got the T. How long before you start modding?

foss
08-08-2007, 01:16 AM
I don't think he's gonna mod it, considering it's an automatic DD.

naDintheHat
08-08-2007, 01:38 AM
I don't think he's gonna mod it, considering it's an automatic DD.

I do recall he was considering lowering it, purely for the look.
Good to see it back on the road TROLL.

TROLL
08-08-2007, 02:20 AM
yeah i was gonna do tint, springs/shocks, and some clean wheels just to make it look classier, but i've kinda pulled the plug on that for now. energy and money is focused on the subaru and i'm just gonna let the audi look kinda beat but stay real comfortable.

Raven18940
08-08-2007, 05:28 AM
yeah i was gonna do tint, springs/shocks, and some clean wheels just to make it look classier, but i've kinda pulled the plug on that for now. energy and money is focused on the subaru and i'm just gonna let the audi look kinda beat but stay real comfortable.

Yeah, I really wouldn't put bilstein sports on that, now that the wow factor has worn off it's a firm ride.

So does your car move on it's own yet?