PDA

View Full Version : Want to lower my A4... all about the look and nothing about the performance... help.

TROLL
07-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm trying to research this stuff on AudiWorld but its painful to say the least... anyone on here have experience with lowering Audis, or B5 A4s in particular? Looking for decent drop but nothing overkill, and really not looking to go very stiff, I'd like to retain as much comfort as possible. I could care less about performance with this car to be honest, just want quality parts that are going to work well and last a long time.
One thing I have gathered is that you pretty much cant lower the car on the stock struts, but as far as what springs have what springrates, I still haven't found much.
Help?

xEJ20x
07-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Is this thread a joke?

TROLL
07-16-2007, 01:16 AM
um... update: i bought an A4. its my daily driver and its really not a sportscar (IMO).
is that what you're not getting?

thread is totally serious, looking for input cause 'doing a search' on audiworld is painful and vortex just doesnt have the info. i'm sure someone on here has the knowledge to help, might as well pool our TST resources to help each other out, eh?

xEJ20x
07-16-2007, 01:19 AM
um... update: i bought an A4. its my daily driver and its really not a sportscar (IMO).
is that what you're not getting?

thread is totally serious, looking for input cause 'doing a search' on audiworld is painful and vortex just doesnt have the info. i'm sure someone on here has the knowledge to help, might as well pool our TST resources to help each other out, eh?

Last time I talked to you, you were talking about getting a GTI.
Didn't realize you got an Audi.

I'll see what I can find.

TROLL
07-16-2007, 01:26 AM
oh ok yeah i was meaning to take pics of the audi since i've been cleaning it up and i was gonna post a thread but i just havent cause there's not all that much to say. its a 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro and its Ebony Pearl (black metallic)... it was a little rough around the edges but it was a helluva deal and i've been keeping busy fixing her up.

so far i have:
replaced busted flex pipe in the exhaust
charged AC
replaced front 02 sensor
replaced front passenger window regulator
fixed rear drivers side door rattle
fixed center AC vent
realigned front bumper (still needs a bit more)
realigned lower chin spoiler
had small cracks in front windshield repaired
cleaned the hell out of it
ordered touchup paint (it definitely needs it in a few spots)

dropping it off tomorrow for:
timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket, chain tensioner gasket

still on the list:
paintless dent repair
good full detail

plans for the car are to get some nicer wheels to replace the curbed 15s on there currently (have my eye on a set but we'll see if i take the plunge), lower it a bit, and tint it. thats it, and i'm putting that in writing right here and now. ok maybe i'll clear the headlights one day when i'm bored or get a euro plate, but no major mods on this one, its the daily driver :)

decided that i just wasnt going to find a clean enough mk2 for what i wanted right now and the A4 fell on my lap at a steal of a price so i couldnt pass it up.

so yeah, trying to get educated about springs and which ones are more looks (soft, comfortable) and less performance (stiff)... its not as commonly talked about.

Sberk06
07-16-2007, 01:49 AM
let me know where you get the paintless dent repair done, and how it turns out.

Ender81
07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
The Eibach or Neuspeed setups should give you a nice drop but still a nice ride since it is a dd

Bender
07-16-2007, 07:45 AM
H&Rs will give you a nice drop and be a BIT more progressive in their spring rate but def dont give a negative ride quality - i would give the guys at AWE tuning a call.

goodfella732
07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
I Eibach kits are great. I did a set on my old bosses 2002 A6. The stance is killer and the ride quality is amazing. That coupled with the Brembo kit she bought made for one impressive car. Its was like a huge S4. Look into the Eibach kits.

TROLL
07-16-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm leaning toward H+R Sport Springs with Bilstein Sport Struts... definitely firmer but not overly. I'm trying to find better photos of that setup on a B5 sedan though...
AWE carries the package and will have them for sale at Water Fest this weekend at lower than normal pricing, although they didn't say how much.

Broken5hift
07-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Eibach kits are great.

Bender
07-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm leaning toward H+R Sport Springs with Bilstein Sport Struts... definitely firmer but not overly. I'm trying to find better photos of that setup on a B5 sedan though...
AWE carries the package and will have them for sale at Water Fest this weekend at lower than normal pricing, although they didn't say how much.

This is the set up i have... granted its on a volvo but i love it - firm but not crazy - i drive through norristown everyday without a problem if that gives you an idea :lol::-p

TROLL
07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
i'd loooove to take a ride in an A4 with this setup so i know exactly what 'd be getting into but not sure if i'll luck out and find that locally.

TROLL
07-16-2007, 11:49 AM
this is what the h+r sport springs look like with bilstein struts... not as low as a lot of other options but i think the fact that they're softer and have a bit more clearance will be good...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/azna408/wheels_for_sale_009.jpg

Broken5hift
07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
^ i think thats as low as you need to go for a DD

SmokeyBandit
07-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Bilstein Sports are a nice choice with the springs, especially since the shaft is about 1" shorter (than HD) to accomodate lowering springs & maintain as much ride quality as possible.

I have Bilstein HD's (with Shine suspension) on my car....

TROLL
07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I think that photo I posted above looks a bit lower than a lot of the others I've seen of the H+R Sports, I have a feeling that guy actually has the H+R Race springs... but who knows. Either way, they sell the Bilstein's grooved so you can change the height slightly if you want. I'm going to Water Fest on Sunday so I'll definitely be looking around to check out what the suspension setups look like and maybe snag a discounted H+R/Bilstein setup from a vendor?

Here's another of the H+R Sport Springs with Bilsteins grooved and set one notch lower in the front... looks good to me.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/4839House_1-med.JPG

Anyway, glad to see I could stir up a little euro chat here :). We've got to get the ball rolling.

naDintheHat
07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Most euros dont allow you to lower them comfortably on the stock suspension.
I looked it up and from neuspeed's site it looks like 700+ for Bilstein sport shocks/struts and sport springs (drop of about 1.25")

I am looking for the same type of thing for my car as well. I want a bit of a drop but i also need it to be comfortable to drive in. I was looking at some neuspeed race springs and bilstein sports. Ill definately be looking around waterfest when i am there on sunday looking for a setup so i can replace my shot rear :(.

Just givin ya my take :thumbup:

TROLL
07-17-2007, 11:09 PM
yeah AWE has the H+R Sport / Bilstein Sport listed at $728 for the combo... and from what I've heard its pretty much the most comfortable drop you can do for an A4 at least.
Any idea what kind of discounts shops have given in the past? 5%? 20%? Cause 20% would be real good...

SmokeyBandit
07-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Call up AWE and ask them about any Waterfest discounts

TROLL
07-18-2007, 01:29 AM
ha, did that. they said their product will be discounted, but they did not say by how much. i'm thinking 10% but i'm hoping for 20 :)
maybe catch them late in the day on sunday and help them to not pack up some of the leftovers by making a last minute purchase...

WRX_JB
07-20-2007, 12:00 AM
How you like ur A4 i am thinking of buying the 2.6 , lots of parts avaible?

TROLL
07-20-2007, 12:06 AM
well as far as engine goes, the 2.8 i think you meant to say... doesn't have much room to grow. it starts out with more power but its a tough one to mod much.
the 1.8T is the engine i got and its got a lot of aftermarket for it... just adding a chip does a lot for the car, but you can do intake, exhaust, and even upgrade turbo and injectors if you want, etc.
i'm just keeping the engine stock though, and commuting in it and all, and its been great. i've been busy fixing stuff up with it lately and its cleaned up really nicely... i wasnt that big on it when i first got it but its growing on me quick as a comfortable kinda luxurious daily driver.