PDA

View Full Version : 240sx sr or rb swap

nissan4life
06-30-2007, 12:50 AM
If anyone knows any sites that sell kits to swap either an sr20det or and rb25det let me know

twistedlanes
06-30-2007, 12:54 AM
srswap.com
jspec.com

nissan4life
06-30-2007, 01:55 AM
which one would you put in a 1996 240sx s14 that i am hopefully going to buy the current owner told me to go with the rb just because you never see them and the car can handle the power, ... oh and by the way it would be between an sr20det and an rb26dett instead of the rb25det i mentioned earlier

turbo4g63
06-30-2007, 02:28 AM
check in with us r33...he knows his **** when it comes to nissans....as well as a2low240 (matt from import intelligence) they can def. get you headed in the right direction...my vote would kinda lean toward the rb b/c you don't see them as much...plus the inline 6 just makes soooooo much more torque

Nors
06-30-2007, 02:37 AM
rb25...yep

nissan4life
06-30-2007, 10:25 PM
yeah i would probably go with the rb but how much more money and work is it than an sr?

su_maverick
07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, you are talking about 2 very different animals.

SR- production motor that came in the S-Chassis cars in Japan. The swaps are very common and almost no alternation needs to be done to do it. The motor mounts are literally flipped from one side to the other, an T in the coolant line at the back of the motor and a hole drilled for the IC piping.

RB- custom swap. You are looking at alot more time and money for the pieces needed to fit the engine in the car and the price difference between the RB and the SR.

SR's have been shown to make alot of power and are quite easy to upgrade. The RB will give you more overall power and torque but it will cost alot more for it and to be 'different'. What are you looking to do with this car? Do you want a daily that is cool and people will come and stare at it or are you looking for simple performance from a proven method?

SeMaxima99
07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
vq35 swap!! My friends just ran a 13.5 and he still needs new headers because these ones are pinched (only dynoed 206). And once the turbo gets back from its rebuild i can only wonder what it will do since he used that on his 3.5 swapped maxima and ran 11.57

TROLL
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
sounds like you're just starting out with all of this... do your homework so you know exactly what you're talking about before you dive into anything. i'd recommend talking to import intelligence, rt tuning, street solutions, or one of the other very knowledgeable vendors on here to try and get some guidance with where to go. you can talk to them about helping you with the swap or i'm sure they'd be happy to just guide you through things.

su_maverick
07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
sounds like you're just starting out with all of this... do your homework so you know exactly what you're talking about before you dive into anything. i'd recommend talking to import intelligence, rt tuning, street solutions, or one of the other very knowledgeable vendors on here to try and get some guidance with where to go. you can talk to them about helping you with the swap or i'm sure they'd be happy to just guide you through things.

x2, any type of swap is not for beginners unless you have a shop do it and still do your homework first.

I<3myS14
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
If you end up going SR20, spend money on a good engine. I hear and see too many posts elsewhere whining about how an engine won't start after a swap among other things. Make sure you know what your doing before getting into it. If you are hesitant, that's all the reason to get it done somewhere else (ie. Import Intelligence, RT tuning, Street-Solutions) But if you want to do it yourself here's a good yellow pages.

Great place for motors - SR20store.com (Marcus)
Great place for wiring - WiringSpecialties.com (Yury), Import Intelligence (Matt)
Great information resources - Freshalloy.com & Zilvia.net
Great place for RB swap stuff - Mckinneymotorsports.com

Raven18940
07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, you are talking about 2 very different animals.

SR- production motor that came in the S-Chassis cars in Japan. The swaps are very common and almost no alternation needs to be done to do it. The motor mounts are literally flipped from one side to the other, an T in the coolant line at the back of the motor and a hole drilled for the IC piping.

RB- custom swap. You are looking at alot more time and money for the pieces needed to fit the engine in the car and the price difference between the RB and the SR.

SR's have been shown to make alot of power and are quite easy to upgrade. The RB will give you more overall power and torque but it will cost alot more for it and to be 'different'. What are you looking to do with this car? Do you want a daily that is cool and people will come and stare at it or are you looking for simple performance from a proven method?

What he said, you need to really know what your goals are before you start ripping your car apart.

ho1ywars
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
get an sr, parts are everywhere and are becoming really cheap. drift,drag, or dd, you cant go wrong with an sr.

Signatus230
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
x2, any type of swap is not for beginners unless you have a shop do it and still do your homework first.

I agree with the second part, but not the first. I am essentially a beginner, and I am doing it myself... >.> lol.

Basically it took me 3ish months of decent research to land me where I am now, and I am still hitting un-expected snags, things that I never even thought of.

If you are mechanically inclined, you do alot of research, try to expect the unexpected and have friends or people that are willing to help you with the swap then I would say go for it.

Oh, and don't forget the money part. ;)

S.Milone
07-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Honestly I say go with an SR you can make enough power with them to smoke the tires in most gears. Also with the amount of money you save with the custom parts needed to install the stock Rb you can modify the Sr alot. The Rb is alot heavier and to keep your weight balance in the car where it should be the proper position of the motor should be way further back which would take alot of modification. All the kits to fit the Rb in sit the motor way forward. Unless you are looking just to have something for people to look at because it is less often scene or you want to get huge hp numbers Sr is the best choice. Sr's can make more then enough power for most people. But it is all preferance in the end. We have done many swaps here on 240s and we all own them here. Except for pat who has the coolest FC ever conceived.

highmilehatch
07-13-2007, 03:27 AM
Honestly I say go with an SR you can make enough power with them to smoke the tires in most gears. Also with the amount of money you save with the custom parts needed to install the stock Rb you can modify the Sr alot. The Rb is alot heavier and to keep your weight balance in the car where it should be the proper position of the motor should be way further back which would take alot of modification. All the kits to fit the Rb in sit the motor way forward. Unless you are looking just to have something for people to look at because it is less often scene or you want to get huge hp numbers Sr is the best choice. Sr's can make more then enough power for most people. But it is all preferance in the end. We have done many swaps here on 240s and we all own them here. Except for pat who has the coolest FC ever conceived.

Yup. +1

jspek
07-19-2007, 11:57 PM
sr20 ftw. at least for your first swap.

tjmhillz
07-20-2007, 01:43 AM
ka-t ftw!!

92rps13
08-07-2007, 01:04 AM
sr20 ftw. at least for your first swap.

i agree.... who is that girl in you default pic??

jspek
08-07-2007, 01:59 AM
idk some jailbait chick. but for the forum she is my gf so stop looking at her hahaha. check the jail bait thread for the pic.

as for the ka-t comment, keep the ka from your 240 and do the swap. and build the ka up for an insurance motor haha.

rubberkiller
09-04-2007, 12:29 AM
i agree.... who is that girl in you default pic??

i agree with jspek too

pharnhyte
09-28-2007, 03:21 PM

I digress. A RB20det is about a thousand dollars cheaper then a black top sr20. Also its only about 50lbs heavier. The difference between a full tank of gas and a empty tank is more. Also to put a RB20 into a 240 just requires a mount kit from McKinley, or Top hat, they are about three hundred dollars. No need for a cross member or anything. The stock s13 drive shaft can be used, all thats left is the water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt and a custom downpipe which is 250 from top hat also. The wiring is 275 from top hat.

Soooo
RB20 1000
Mounting kit 300
WP,TBelt crap 350
Downpipe 250
Wire harness 275
Stock drive shaft used
It does not sit way foward, the stock radiator is still used, and the drive shaft is the factory one. You get a inline six that can rev to 8k stock hold over 450hp on stock internals, and a exhaust sound that sr owners can only dream of. Sadly the rb20 has 270cc injectors, RB26dett ones work, and a ceramic wheel turbo, which seem to not hold up so well on higher boost.

Electric Fans
Custom throttle cable bracket may be required
Tach adapter or gauge cluster needed for correct tach signal.

I am going to be looking for a shop to install a rb engine in my s13 pretty soon.

RB25 is a bit more difficult, you need a crossmember and a mounting kit, or a mounting kit and a low rise intake manifold such as a greddy or something. A custom driveshaft is needed, once again contact one of the two above shops. Wiring the same also.

However for prices for parts and stuff the SR is the best, its easiest to find parts, though it is a good thing that alot of nissan motors share parts bins so to speak.
Steve

S.Milone
09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Even a stock RB20 you should make about 270 whp and good torque. And truth be told the inline 6 motors sound amazing. Fact is Srs bolt in and parts are easier to come by. Forinstance stand alones like Power fc if you are trying to make big power.

PUREKDM
10-27-2007, 12:11 PM
just thought i'd throw in my two cents...i have an 04 350z with bolt ons and i have friends with rb20's rb25's and sr20's...i easily beat the rb20's, sr20's and the rb25 killed me...just to put it into perspective...

avs0730
10-28-2007, 09:03 PM
just thought i'd throw in my two cents...i have an 04 350z with bolt ons and i have friends with rb20's rb25's and sr20's...i easily beat the rb20's, sr20's and the rb25 killed me...just to put it into perspective...

well i drive my friends s14 sr20 when his is in college and i beat 350z and g35 with no problem. i dyno at 238hp.

pharnhyte
10-29-2007, 02:34 PM
I put two cars on a 350z in my mr2 and I only ran a 13.5 at 101 with a intake and a exhaust slipping clutch

89RBS13
10-29-2007, 06:09 PM
huh?!? don't mean to be rude, but wow, some of you guys have NO idea about RB series motors at all.

there's no way in hell a stock RB20DET will make 270hp. sorry but it just won't happen. torque is high, yes, but the horsepower ratings are basically equal to those of red top SR's. stock for stock, red SRs, RB20s, and RB25s all run the same boost, that's 7psi governed by the ECU. 25s are actually the lowest stock because they all come in granny cars over japan. they run variable 4-7psi based on throttle position and other conditions.

now when massaged a bit, yeah RBs put out quite a bit of power. even a 20 will get close to that 270 you talked about, but it takes a lot more than just simple IHE type of stuff to get there.

there's virtually no benefit to going with an RB20 over an SR. SR20 parts are cheap and everywhere. everyone and their mom has an SR20 in something.. which is fine, they're great motors. if money is at all an issue, don't even think twice, get an SR. BUT... when RB series motors come into the realm of possibility.. RB20's may be fun and all for a decent street car, but when it comes down to it, if you're trying to get the most bang for your buck, (RB20DET vs. RB25DET vs. RB26DETT) RB25 is the ONLY way to go. yes it's more cost to get the motor in the car and in there correctly, but it's worth it. not to mention, RB20DETs and most RB26's on the market are OLD! why buy an old motor that's been sitting around collecting dust for 10+ years?

KB240SR
10-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I own both RB and SR S13's. Both are awesome. RB takes more custom work to make power though. So many "bolt on" things for the SR to help extract plenty of power. Tuning the SR is so much cheaper and easier too. Only thing ive found to really tune the RB properly is Power FC and thats like $1500.

avs0730
10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
I own both RB and SR S13's. Both are awesome. RB takes more custom work to make power though. So many "bolt on" things for the SR to help extract plenty of power. Tuning the SR is so much cheaper and easier too. Only thing ive found to really tune the RB properly is Power FC and thats like $1500.

it all depends on your pocket if you got cash to burn and want to be differnet then go with a rb if you are on a budget like i am go with a s14 sr20det with vtc and get it tune. also for the money you spend on a full swap rb you can get a aem ems sr20det front mount etc. and have easy 300hp and running 12s.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J7ozuL5ZHvo

S.Milone
11-01-2007, 02:19 PM
there's no way in hell a stock RB20DET will make 270hp. sorry but it just won't happen. torque is high, yes, but the horsepower ratings are basically equal to those of red top SR's. stock for stock, red SRs, RB20s, and RB25s all run the same boost, that's 7psi governed by the ECU. 25s are actually the lowest stock because they all come in granny cars over japan. they run variable 4-7psi based on throttle position and other conditions.

I wasn't talking about factory specs. I was talking about basically stock motors after the basic install. Parts every swap is done with; front mount, intake, exhaust, boost controller running higher boost, etc.
We have a dyno and I see many cars on it.