PDA

View Full Version : 05 STi, race pads, ss lines... squealing ?'s

CHAOS
06-26-2007, 12:28 PM
ok so i put my race pads on a few weeks ago and honestly have not had the time to take them off... however i do notice at low speeds that they squeal/squeek with some kind of rotational consistency... ie. everytime the wheel turns it squeels at a certain interval... is this normal or do you think my rotors got warped? i noticed it before and after the track... i know the pads are very close to the rotors in the non braking state and i wasnt sure if this noise was simply caused by the more aggressive friction material... any ideas/help would be awesome.

edit: i suppose i oughta put my brake set up in here

Stock brembo calipers
goodridge ss lines
carbotech xp8 brake pads all around
rbf600 fluid

Wiisass
06-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Did you bed the pads properly before really getting on them? Is there any pulsing at the pedal? If yes to the first and no to the second, then you're probably fine, race pads will make noises.

You could also check the rotor for any pad material deposits, see if there are spots on there where some of the pad material stuck and could be causing inconsistent friction surfaces.

CHAOS
06-26-2007, 01:08 PM
the rotors look fine, i check them out everytime i wash the car which is like 1-3 times a week haha... and we did our best bedding them in as the bedding instructions included doing laps on a track haha i called carbotech and followed what they told me so i think im ok...ill be swapping the pads out ASAP for the stockers just cause im tired of the noises and want to save them for the next track day

D Money
06-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Why wouldn't the squeel. Race pads are made to be stopped when the brakes are completely hot. You are driving around with them in town where your brakes are never hot. Light to light or just normal driving, the pads are going to squeel because they aren't really designed for all of that. Simplest way to put it, I guess.

CHAOS
06-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Why wouldn't the squeel. Race pads are made to be stopped when the brakes are completely hot. You are driving around with them in town where your brakes are never hot. Light to light or just normal driving, the pads are going to squeel because they aren't really designed for all of that. Simplest way to put it, I guess.

right i understand that they will squeel when i apply the brakes but this is when nothing is being applied and im just driving along at low speeds.. im sure the contact is happening at higher speeds but i just cant hear it.

TROLL
06-26-2007, 01:57 PM
everything has been covered here really, but the one thing i can add is did you clean/grease the cotter pins so that the pads are able to slide freely along them? sometimes brake dust gets caked up on them and causes the pad to bind a little or at least not move as freely as it would like and it cause some extra unwanted friction between pad and rotor.
but really, sounds like its just the wrong pads for your current application.

CHAOS
06-26-2007, 02:00 PM
wrong pads meaning race pads on the street? just want to clarify.. im pretty sure thats what you mean.... and i think spraying the **** out of the calipers with brakleen was enough to clean the pins haha... i should be taking it apart tonite to swap back to my street pads but i wanted to make sure this wasnt something i need to worry about.

TROLL
06-26-2007, 02:12 PM
wo... and as a sidenote, brakleen is highly corrosive to paint... including the paint on your brembo calipers. i would definitely recommend that you not 'spray the ****' out of them again, unless you didnt like the gold anyway.
when you have the pins out, use brakleen on just the pins with maybe some steel wool to get them nice and clean again, and a bit of then put a little bit of that caliper grease stuff on them for good measure, autozone has it in little packets at the front counter for $1.
and yeah i meant race pads on the street.

Buster
06-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey John, I have hawks and they do the same thing.

When you drive its like a little squeek squeek squeek right? I thought something was wrong but its nothing. just annoying. price you pay to stop on a dime though.

Honest_Bob
06-26-2007, 03:35 PM

When you drive its like a little squeek squeek squeek right? I thought something was wrong but its nothing. just annoying. price you pay to stop on a dime though.

You have the Hawk HPS? How do you like them?

Buster
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I have HP+ in the front and HPS in the rear. I had the HPS in the front and loved them. i bought the HP+s by accident last time and there a little rough for the street.

CHAOS
06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
wo... and as a sidenote, brakleen is highly corrosive to paint... including the paint on your brembo calipers. i would definitely recommend that you not 'spray the ****' out of them again, unless you didnt like the gold anyway.
when you have the pins out, use brakleen on just the pins with maybe some steel wool to get them nice and clean again, and a bit of then put a little bit of that caliper grease stuff on them for good measure, autozone has it in little packets at the front counter for $1.
and yeah i meant race pads on the street.

i thoroughly cleaned them after spraying them the gold is still in very good shape :) and i thought the calipers were powdercoated not painted...

CHAOS
06-26-2007, 05:17 PM

exactly...

TROLL
06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
i thoroughly cleaned them after spraying them the gold is still in very good shape :) and i thought the calipers were powdercoated not painted...

i just know i sprayed some brakleen into a rag and started to clean up my 06 WRX red 4-pot calipers, and started on the backside on purpose... i looked at the rag after a few swipes and it was red. :eek:
i'd hate to see that to a set of brembos (even though i'd like to paint mine silver) so just trying to share my experiences there.
in fact i used Brakleen recently to strip spraypaint, haha... worked like a charm.

CHAOS
06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
haha brakleen is gnarly stuff, but i checked the calipers tonite and they are still good with the exception of rock chips and such

DC2.2GSR
07-05-2007, 12:15 AM
i just know i sprayed some brakleen into a rag and started to clean up my 06 WRX red 4-pot calipers, and started on the backside on purpose... i looked at the rag after a few swipes and it was red. :eek:
i'd hate to see that to a set of brembos (even though i'd like to paint mine silver) so just trying to share my experiences there.
in fact i used Brakleen recently to strip spraypaint, haha... worked like a charm.

a couple things that are basically outlawed in the front shop (paint shop) of where i work... brakeen, brake fluid, bird **** (haha), and actual paint stripper. those things are pretty much the only commonly found things that damage clearcoat paint, besides mechanical abrasion (sanding). brakeen is definitely some bad s*** to have around paint. won't necessarily take it completely off but it'll make it look crappy thats for sure

htheduck
07-09-2007, 01:08 PM
squeeking is normal for race pads. the xp8s have pretty good bite while cold too.