PDA

View Full Version : SOS- Windshield Replacement- Trim or no?

TehWagon
02-13-2005, 03:36 PM
So a week after I got it, i have to now replace the freakin windshield. :furious:
SOOO... I was quoted by Safelite at $303, but was told i could reduce that by $80 if i do not get the special 'subaru recommended trim'... Has anyone been faced with this decision? I am leaning towards saying no to the special trim, as we all have seen how many windshield problems people have had anyway!
Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any glass shops in the area that they really like?
Opinions, please...
Thanks,
Ash

MuddyREX
02-13-2005, 04:17 PM
WHAT HAPPENED?????????

I can't recommend any shops, but I dont see why using something other that 'subaru reccommended' trim would cause a problem...

wrx_snobordr
02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
if your still under warranty take it to the subaru dealership. I had my glass replaced for free. As long as there isnt an impact mark they will do it. Guy told me they have dont alot of them. SOmething about some windshields werent set right and when it gets codl out they have been known to crack. This could have just been him making an excuse for crappy subaru glass but either way i didnt pay.

matt

TehWagon
02-13-2005, 08:20 PM
I was at a loss at first as to the reason, but it dawned on me that i didn't notice it until after i let the car back down off the jack after changing the oil... I'm guessing something in the way it was sitting on the jacks or something caused the car to twist and the windshield to crack... that's the only thing i can think of, because when i pulled the car infront of the driveway to change the oil, the crack wasn't there.

And no, alas, it is not under warranty... 3 years just passed, as luck would have it...
But i'm getting a catless up pipe anyway, so i would have been screwed, so whatever!
Anyhoo, back to the matter at hand, a guy on NASIOC said that he always goes with the subaru recommended stuff because it's a harder compound and better for leakage or something... we shall see i guess... :roll:
Ash

Dreck
02-14-2005, 08:50 AM
You can't replace the windshield without cutting the molding. I had mine replaced by safelite and I got the same deal from the salesman but when the tech arrived he says he can't get the glass off without damaging the molding.

I figured he was full of shÏt and just wanted an extra $80 but I went and looked at the repair manual later and it looks like the molding cannot be removed in one piece.

At least with safelite you get a lifetime guarantee. I've used it once already.

TehWagon
02-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info ;)
I just got quoted at $217 with the harder compound included...by Diamond Autoglass - aftermarket glass, can do next day, w00t!
Also have a lifetime guarantee... and cheaper than Safelite... hoping I'm not missing something! :roll:
-Ash

teh DIRT
02-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info ;)
I just got quoted at $217 with the harder compound included...by Diamond Autoglass - aftermarket glass, can do next day, w00t!
Also have a lifetime guarantee... and cheaper than Safelite... hoping I'm not missing something! :roll:
-Ash

sounds like a deal to me

Orbit
02-26-2005, 02:14 PM
did safelite do a nice job? I have a chip that is right is the center of my view. I had a car done by them a long time ago and it was a sloppy job.

You can't replace the windshield without cutting the molding. I had mine replaced by safelite and I got the same deal from the salesman but when the tech arrived he says he can't get the glass off without damaging the molding.

I figured he was full of shÏt and just wanted an extra $80 but I went and looked at the repair manual later and it looks like the molding cannot be removed in one piece.

At least with safelite you get a lifetime guarantee. I've used it once already.

the mike
02-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, they did a good job, but not after some BS with scheduling (they were almost and hour late both times) and bringing the wrong windshield the first time (they brought a 2001. they didn't even make a WRX in 01!!!)... so, i guess it depends... i'm happy with the work they (finally) did, and the price was just about right (still only charged me $217, tax incl, for a more expensive windshield b/c they ordered the wrong one the first time). So i guess you could say it worked out alright, and i also have the lifetime guaranteed against stress cracks or leakage.

the mike
02-26-2005, 09:32 PM
crap. i forgot to log mike out. that was me, ashley, talking... :roll:

teh DIRT
02-27-2005, 02:12 PM
looks like im gona have to ban you ashley....posting on other members names is a no no! bad girl...go to your room and think about what you have done

MuddyREX
03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
I am going to ressurrect this thread because my windsheild cracked today.

Anyone know of a good place in Phila to replace a WRX windshield?

TehWagon
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
oh crap- that sucks! what did it?

i stick by Diamond- be VERY specific when giving the model name (they brought the wrong glass the first time) but the quality was good, the price was the best, and there's a lifetime warranty. http://www.diamondtriumphglass.com/