PDA

View Full Version : Where to get noticed

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I wana start racing on a semi-pro level perhaps in some of the lower ranks, nothing like f1 or leMans, but where are some good places to race and get noticed by comapanies that would sponsor me. i know i drive a civic, but I have been doing a LOT of practice in lots, and doing lots of reading, watching my friend, and forza 2 helped me understand what not to do without harming my car. I want to go out and race my best, and perhaps get some cash for doing so. where do I begin (one thing I didnt find anywhere). I know I wont pick up anything my first, second, 3rd time around, but I want to get into competitive racing with rewards to be earned, not just a "good job you beat everyone in your class". trophies, money, whatever will help me move up in the racing world. thanks big.

P.S. Yes I will be autocrossing this year

TROLL
06-17-2007, 09:14 PM
wow. i'll try to point the thread in the right direction and be nice about it...

first though, please dont ever say that driving in lots has anything to do with racing becuase it doesnt. you will never ever be able to get any track experience unless you are on the track. no corner or offramp or anything else is anything like the way a track is set up and all the kids going around thinking they're amazing drivers and they push it to the limit on public roads... well they're complete idiots.

now, if you want to get into competitive driving i would recommend getting seriously involved with autoxing or starting to get into track days on a road course. dedicate yourself to a season or two of that keeping with it regularly and then think about whether or not its something to pursue. the truth right now is that you (and me, and most people) are an effing noob, and you (and me, and most people) SUCK at driving. most of us have no real practice, and even those who do a track day every now and again are worlds apart for any form of competitive racing.

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
wow. i'll try to point the thread in the right direction and be nice about it...

first though, please dont ever say that driving in lots has anything to do with racing becuase it doesnt. you will never ever be able to get any track experience unless you are on the track. no corner or offramp or anything else is anything like the way a track is set up and all the kids going around thinking they're amazing drivers and they push it to the limit on public roads... well they're complete idiots.

now, if you want to get into competitive driving i would recommend getting seriously involved with autoxing or starting to get into track days on a road course. dedicate yourself to a season or two of that keeping with it regularly and then think about whether or not its something to pursue. the truth right now is that you (and me, and most people) are an effing noob, and you (and me, and most people) SUCK at driving. most of us have no real practice, and even those who do a track day every now and again are worlds apart for any form of competitive racing.

Ive been basically setting up cones in a slalom pattern and such to get a feel for the conditions and the car. Yes im a newbie, but Ive wanted to do this since my dad let me press the pedals on his pontiac as he turned the steering wheel in a parking lot. From what I was told, road courses require a track licence, which requires driving school, which I cannot afford. However, if this is not the case, I will look for the closest event and given that I feel im ready, il go out there and tear it up.

MuddyREX
06-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I agree. Get out and race, for real. Like Troll said, parking lots and onramps give you no real experience. I've flown off road through the Pine Barrens on probably 100 different occasions, but would I say that I'm ready for rallying? Hell no. I'd probably drive into a tree and die.

If you're serious, sign up for some autocrosses, and do it consistently. And stop thinking that "reading, watching your friend, and Forza" make you a great driver.

In before the flaming.

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree. Get out and race, for real. Like Troll said, parking lots and onramps give you no real experience. I've flown off road through the Pine Barrens on probably 100 different occasions, but would I say that I'm ready for rallying? Hell no. I'd probably drive into a tree and die.

If you're serious, sign up for some autocrosses, and do it consistently. And stop thinking that "reading, watching your friend, and Forza" make you a great driver.

In before the flaming.

never did I say that they make me a great driver...never did I say I was a great driver. simply watching my friend, reading, and using a simulator gave me a better understanding of the whole concept. I have a long way to go, but I have to know where to start. Thanks for your input, il definately go autocrossing. not to sound cheesy, but my friend had a racing helmet in his garage, and I put it on for ****s and giggles, and it just felt so right for me; id really never felt any better in my life. i got in my car, and everything was so different for the better, it just gave me another push. my rents think im full of ****, but im determined to make my way up.

I dont really see a reason for flaming here though. sure someone might be immature and say "hahah racing and you drive a civic", but il just ignore it

ThePrimerSuspect
06-17-2007, 09:35 PM
well........i was thinking about doing this a couple years ago but the guy i knew sold his car. but anyway, look into the SCCA events. a friend of mine who i used to work with had a friend with a car. he used to do all the maintenance and fix it whenever it got bashed up, and would be in the pit for him at several events. then he used this guys car to get his own license which, to the best of my knowledge, he still has done nothing with. that would be a great way to work your way in. find someone or a team and just go volunteer and show a genuine interest in it, make connections and such. this is how i would go about it anyway.

willthethrill
06-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I wana start racing on a semi-pro level perhaps in some of the lower ranks, nothing like f1 or leMans, but where are some good places to race and get noticed by comapanies that would sponsor me. i know i drive a civic, but I have been doing a LOT of practice in lots, and doing lots of reading, watching my friend, and forza 2 helped me understand what not to do without harming my car. I want to go out and race my best, and perhaps get some cash for doing so. where do I begin (one thing I didnt find anywhere). I know I wont pick up anything my first, second, 3rd time around, but I want to get into competitive racing with rewards to be earned, not just a "good job you beat everyone in your class". trophies, money, whatever will help me move up in the racing world. thanks big.

P.S. Yes I will be auto-crossing this year
:bigeek: Umm you going to need to spend some money to practice for real, meaning auto cross events, PDAs etc not playing Forza ( i don't care if you own the wheel its not the same) and driving fast through the walmart parking lot is not a good idea. After a full season of attending as many track events, auto crosses what ever floats your boat then look into joining the SCCA or something and take it from there. Don't expect anything to happen in just a few years.

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 09:39 PM
:bigeek: Umm you going to need to spend some money to practice for real, meaning auto cross events, PDAs etc not playing Forza ( i don't care if you own the wheel its not the same) and driving fast through the walmart parking lot is not a good idea. After a full season of attending as many track events, auto crosses what ever floats your boat then look into joining the SCCA or something and take it from there. Don't expect anything to happen in just a few years.

Money for events is no big deal. I just cannot afford to go to a 4000 dollar driving school to get my track licence. If I really do see myself doing well in autocross and thats what it comes down to, il do it, but not yet.

ITSTOCK
06-17-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm not trying to be a dick, but, if you think $4000 is too much for driving school don't bother. That's cheap. Ask the member's here who have the father that races the Viper.

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm not trying to be a dick, but, if you think $4000 is too much for driving school don't bother. That's cheap. Ask the member's here who have the father that races the Viper.

That would be BMS and 04 turbo spec, their father owns BMS performance I believe. I gotta learn these 2 things, but I am scared ****less of ****ing up my car if I mess em up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4

ITSTOCK
06-17-2007, 09:45 PM
That would be BMS and 04 turbo spec, their father owns BMS performance I believe. I gotta learn these 2 things, but I am scared ****less of ****ing up my car if I mess em up.

Scared of messing up your car....won't/can't spend $4000.....

Forget the "semi-pro". Just go have fun for a little. People who "get noticed" have been either A) racing since they were in their diapers, B) have LOTS of money to spend, or C) know people with money/sponsors to take baby steps.

olmytsi
06-17-2007, 09:46 PM
You need to build a competitve car, race for a few years and then maybe you will get free parts here and there like tires but don't expect much, there are ALOT of people who have been doing it for years and still haave to pay for everything. And then you have some who have been doing it for 2-3 years and because of connections, have many sponsors.

Chris(NJ)
06-17-2007, 09:52 PM
sell your car and get a miata, then do spec miata. It might be your most economical way of going about it. Regardless, you wont be ready for any competitive racing for a few years. You need to start registering for road course events. Its not going to be cheap. Expect a few thousand a year in events, plus brakes, tires, fluids, safety apparel.
I'm w/ these guys, if you think 4k is a lot, you're already done.

smoger
06-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Money for events is no big deal. I just cannot afford to go to a 4000 dollar driving school to get my track licence. If I really do see myself doing well in autocross and thats what it comes down to, il do it, but not yet.

what about tires and brakes(and other parts)? they don't tend to last very long when you're AutoX'ing or road racing..

Broken5hift
06-17-2007, 09:57 PM
no offense but the reality is you cant afford to do what you want. track time and events cost alot of money let alone parts just to get your car into it and keep up maintenance.
from what ive read of your posts, you cant even afford to replace a rim? how do you honestly expect to compete for money against people who make a living doing this?

if this is really what you want to do then that great and i wish you the best of luck. but you have to be realistic and have some common sense as well. most people in these events have taken numerous racing courses and have raced on the tracks countless times and know them by heart, let alone the money they have put into their cars to get them to the level they need to be in to compete. you have to have some sort of way to pay for all this, thats just reality. i mean, do you think your gonna be racing against some 16 yr old in a stock(er) civic for like 5 grand in prize money??

smoger
06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
not to mention the fact that a competitive car will probably not be very comfortable to drive everyday, as well as possibly dangerous, unreliable, and illegal.

so you can add the cost of a beater to your budget too

Broken5hift
06-17-2007, 10:02 PM
btw, i wanna be an astronaut. ive been practicing moonwalking in the chucky cheese ball pit

Dave
06-17-2007, 10:03 PM
dude if you want to race, and be competitive with your civic, your best bet is bracket racing at the local dragstrip. the way bracket is setup its skewed to favor slower cars since they are consistant in being slow. figure out what it runs on average and set your dial in just a tad lower

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 10:05 PM
guess il do the more affordable thing and autocross and see if I can meet some people that way. never know

Broken5hift
06-17-2007, 10:06 PM
guess il do the more affordable thing and autocross and see if I can meet some people that way. never know

very true. stranger things have happened

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 10:07 PM
very true. stranger things have happened

hey u still wana check out my exhaust and see what a custom will run me?

foss
06-17-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah my advice, just have fun with it for now. think about getting serious once you get decent at it.

Broken5hift
06-17-2007, 10:11 PM
hey u still wana check out my exhaust and see what a custom will run me?

you can always stop down to my buddies shop and find out? that way you guys can determine what you want verse what your willing to spend. they always have ways of making things work out :thumbup:

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 10:16 PM
you can always stop down to my buddies shop and find out? that way you guys can determine what you want verse what your willing to spend. they always have ways of making things work out :thumbup:

PM me his name number and location I wana see what this will run

Nors
06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Maybe carting would be a good place where you don't need to worry about the civic and you can still kill some corners.

CleanNeon98
06-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Maybe carting would be a good place where you don't need to worry about the civic and you can still kill some corners.

my friend suggested that, but I think the change might be a bit much for me to get adapted quick enough to make progress. he found some tournament where the winning team gets sent to driving school for free

ITSTOCK
06-17-2007, 11:31 PM
my friend suggested that, but I think the change might be a bit much for me to get adapted quick enough to make progress. he found some tournament where the winning team gets sent to driving school for free

A LOT of PRO race car drivers have raced shifter karts. Again, if you think $4000 is a lot, it's out of the question already. I can 100% GUARANTEE that you would learn more from a little 80/125/250cc shifter kart than you would driving your civic.

dubjinc
06-17-2007, 11:33 PM
regardless even the electronic karts give a good feel for cornering properly, and are fun as sh*t.

sisforsurfing
06-18-2007, 12:00 AM

What two things? Are you talking about heel/toe shifting? If you break your Civic's transmission learning how to heel/toe smoothly you're in for a rude awakening if you start trying to track your car.

Just get out there and do something. less talk, more action.

Wiisass
06-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Best bet would to become a high class hooker with the hopes that one of your "John"s will be the manager of a race team looking for some new talent. Use the money you make banging people who don't manage race teams to build a real car, go to a racing school, go to every track day you can, compete in every event possible. And then maybe, you'll have a chance.

And skip the autox, people will argue that it improves driver skill and all of that, and it does, but if you someone really wants to road race, they need to practice doing that. Flying around in a parking lot does not compare to driving on a real race track with real walls and other cars and crashing and all the fun stuff that comes with road racing.

04 Turbo Spec
06-18-2007, 01:10 AM
$4000 doesnt even cover the tires for our race team for one event

thats me

you have to be willing to put yourself/car in that position if you wanna race/win. people dont just let you pass them.

heel-toe and all that just takes some practice, its not difficult at all. I learned on the street i practiced everytime i downshift/slow down untill i got good

my younger brother (BMS) does carting, and it is an excelent way to learn the lines and really open your eyes to what racing is.

if you want to see what racing and learning to drive fast is all about, i strongly suggest entering a viper days. You will have professional drivers sit in your passenger seat and coach you, and you will have class room before every track outing. the school will teach you defensive driving, how to control the car at speed and also its an insurance deductable (pending graduating). and also since it is a teaching race series (stepping stone to pro) you can go right up to all the race car drivers and ask for rides, pick their brains a bit and all that fun stuff. If you can make it out to one ill be more than happy to give you rides, explain stuff to you, show you propper car care at the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKjytkFBUx0

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/04turbospec/Race%20SRT-4/setup.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/04turbospec/Race%20SRT-4/Paddocksetup.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/04turbospec/Race%20SRT-4/IMG_2434.jpg

CHAOS
06-18-2007, 07:16 AM
im not even sure what to contribute to this thread... the age old saying holds true everywhere in life

"You have to pay, to play"

if you wanna be able to get good, and really make progress, you are going to beat on ur car a bit, i dont know where you got the idea that you will be good from driving in a parking lot, but after being on the track for real saturday... i can tell you with 100% confidence that you saying that makes me want to punch you in the mouth. if you want to be serious, you are going to have to spend thousands of dollars in upkeep... and if you plan on driving the car on the street, plan on keeping at least one or more sets of wheels, brake pads, rotors, a ton of fluids, filters, and other things. those stock seats will not hold you in the car for **** when your going hard thru a turn, so figure a good chunk of money for that, my sti seats dont even hold me enough. then you have to figure ok what if i want to go faster, well then youve gotta modify the car... and we all know thats not "cheap" ... and what if something breaks... not only is that your street car... but you are possibly out of commission for the next event... in order to be competitive, you need to have bank. you can not be competitive if you are not willing to spend money.

evomike
06-18-2007, 07:31 AM
im gonna be the dick and just say you have no concept of waht it would actually take, you obviously arent ready to make the sacrifices to do it because you are still driving your civic. if you are serious you would have your civic for sale and be trying to buy a track car, your civic will never get you noticed all it will do is make people walk away in boredom. if you cant afford to take a driving class then you cant afford to become a racer, can you constantly afford to buy tires, and whats gonna happen if you wreck your car on the track, you are so far from being what a sponsor would be looking for my advice is go out to parking lot autox events and just enjoy that because you are not on the level or commitment to become a real paid racer

Nors
06-18-2007, 11:04 AM

I see you are searching for videos on youtube.

Do not listen to a word anyone says in this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0PzRXWI0s&mode=related&search=

CleanNeon98
06-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I see you are searching for videos on youtube.

Do not listen to a word anyone says in this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0PzRXWI0s&mode=related&search=

is that the one where the kid gets scared ****less and talks about gear sizes?

Buster
06-18-2007, 12:06 PM
wow wow and more wow. You never stop topping yourself. Racing and sponsorships do not just fall into anyones lap. If you cant afford to race, dont. This is the ugly reality of it. Its not your cars fault and its not your fault. its just the way it is.

Auto Cross is for the most part the only thing that anyone can just walk into. Except lately. Now its just pre reg.

I thought I was a great driver until my first autox and my car kicked my ass.
Go drive with and instructor on the course. all you are paying is what 45 bux and you can have someone who knows what they are talking about show you what you are doing wrong.

PS Forza is not a driving simulator!

Just like I told you before and its been repeated here. YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY.

SovXietday
06-18-2007, 12:10 PM
If you want to be a racecar driver, then my suggestion would be to stick with what you know.

Go get yourself into some Forza competitions...

CleanNeon98
06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
see you all at autocross

CHAOS
06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
cool man, thats what its about, getting out there and doing it... not posting here telling us you want to.

foss
06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
maybe you could trayslide lol

mr_eh
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
he found some tournament where the winning team gets sent to driving school for free

sounds like a plot of a really good 80s movie...

CleanNeon98
06-18-2007, 12:30 PM
sounds like a plot of a really good 80s movie...

its some kart thing in NY..i think we missed it though it was 2000 per team I think to get in

mr_eh
06-18-2007, 12:43 PM
if you cant afford to attend scca events then racing is not for you.

tires/brakes arent free last time i checked

grimm
06-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Too many posts to read...

quick answer...
go to the scca web site and start there.

longer answer...
go spend a few weeks at a driving school.

longer answer...
if you don't know where to start, and you come here asking, no offense, but you def don't have enough interest in it in my book. personally if I am interested in something enough. I go out and find the info i want/need, i just don't post a question waiting for people to tell me what I'm supposed to do?

TurboTagTeam
06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Dont even think about sponsered/pro driving. Because you have to be racing for years to get to that level. Driving around on the street dodging cones dosent mean jack. It's a little differnt when your rounding a corner at 140mph and a rear tire lets go. You'r "street cone dodging skills" arent gonna help you there.

Even karting is extreamly expensive. I have a Formula GP5 125cc shifter kart. The thing cost 5k used.

You wanna get into competitive racing????

1. Get rid of the 4door civic. It dosent belong on a race track.

2. The cheapest way for you to get into competitive racing would probably be with a mazda miata. THey are pretty cheap and can be very fast. In the hands of a good driver they are lethal. And parts are not very expensive.

jspek
06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
autocrossing is a nice way to practice entering turns and such. but id chose road racing over autocross anyday. i agree with the miata. my friend has one and handles like a dream. you arent going to get far with the civic if you road race. auto crossing yea itll be fun for a while, but dont expect to do it competitively.

S4toSTI
06-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I think you have good intentions and big goals but there is one problem you are too old with no expience to start a racing career. Not saying it has not been done but it is very hard. When you watch the rolex series for example there are two types of drivers there. Older drivers who either are wealthy guys who have done alot of race training or older racing drivers. The other group you see are young drivers who the older team owners higher so they can try to win. The "young" people you see there have probably been racing for a minimum of 7-10 years and they are only 18 years old. Go do some auto-x go to some track days and have fun. If you wanna talk to someone who is getting into racing at a later age pm sechgang i think thats his name here he is just now getting into it and pretty heavily i am sure he can steer you in a good direction as well. I am not trying to knock you here just tell you the reality that you are alittle to old to begin a racing career. Not to mention getting the training and the seat time takes alot of personal money or a sponsor but sponsors only come with expiernce and time or rich relitives.

jspek
06-18-2007, 02:55 PM
if you want to try to get noticed for any type of racing, do drifting. ditch the civic, get a 240 and start going to drift events and get really good. get a d1 license and maybe someone will like you. lol.

C'DALERIDER
06-18-2007, 03:02 PM
i dont think starting off in your daily driver autoX'ing is a good idea.
-spec Miata
-carts
-race preped bmw (i got one for sale with a trailer)

And forget the autoX stuff. Go to FAT (fridays at the track) at summit point and start doing track days. Sell the Honda and get a GMC truck to tow the cart/trailer with!

Get a second job.

SeMaxima99
06-18-2007, 03:32 PM
btw, i wanna be an astronaut. ive been practicing moonwalking in the chucky cheese ball pit

haha!! dont forget to go on the ferris wheel to get the gforce pratice down.

Broken5hift
06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
haha!! dont forget to go on the ferris wheel to get the gforce pratice down.

im scared of heights

vwcorradokid
06-18-2007, 04:15 PM
$4000 doesnt even cover the tires for our race team for one event

That's because you spin out like this.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/vwcorradokid/GregS2000-B.jpg

04 Turbo Spec
06-18-2007, 06:00 PM
That's because you spin out like this.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/vwcorradokid/GregS2000-B.jpg

well you wont know the limit unless you have been there.

auto crossing is too confussing for me, too many cones.

so when am i gonna get a ride in the supra

Evo8kid
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
haha ^^i love it when tim comes out of no where with pictures haha

vwcorradokid
06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
well you wont know the limit unless you have been there.

auto crossing is too confussing for me, too many cones.

so when am i gonna get a ride in the supra

I dunno...gotta see when I can get it 100% done and tuned.

jspek
06-18-2007, 11:22 PM
well you can drive it down to florida when its done.

Demonicbird00
06-18-2007, 11:55 PM
start in karting that is competitive and can give you the basics and fundamentals of racing, its cheap and easy to get into and have 10x more fun and speed doing it.

a race ready kart can be picked up for as little as $800

check out
www.woodbridgekartclub.com
www.worldkarting.com
www.ekartingnews.com

-brandon

Demonicbird00
06-19-2007, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQTmIq0npg

this was at Barber Motorsports in AL last year.

Jourdan
06-19-2007, 01:51 AM
ha!...

BMS
06-19-2007, 02:15 AM
this is if you want to get sponsors and ****.

Here is your best bet, Go to school get a education, use your education to get a well paying job, your probably going to 40 years old right there. don't get married and no kids (cuz it would cost u to much money) buy a race prepped car. then go get a racing license, do some SCCA races then win the SCCA runoffs about maybe 2 or more times. then you might get some sponsors but nothing major. then get an agent for you so you could maybe be test driver for a professional race team, then for some fu<ke uped reason you get to driver for a professional team in a professional race. then you will probably be replaced by a 18 year old

TurboTagTeam
06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaqHaHaHasHa

Awesome answer!!!

italianblaze
06-22-2007, 09:45 PM
i second that BMS has the best anwser by far

OptiCon
06-23-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm afraid to meet you. I think I might get all emotional and ****. What I mean to say is...

I think I love you.

:mrgreen:

92dxman
06-30-2007, 09:31 AM
1.) Go out and do some solo 2 events. Randy Pobst and Boris Said were dodging cones before they were ever out on the track.

2.) Go out and get involved. There are a ton of events out there to get involved with. Go volunteer at a hillclimb. Volunteer to crew for someone's team. That will get you upclose experience for no cash at all. I used to have the urge to rally but started crewing for a friend of mine and after seeing what is all involved with, i'll stick to crewing.

3.) Investigate a kart.

4.) You have to pay to play is defenitely true. For example, that is why Rally is driving alot of the average guys out of the game and it is turning into a rich guy's sport...

05GT
06-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Forza??? Forza?? LMFAO....you are a riot.

Hey guys, I play Gears or War a lot, and I've learned a lot. I'm ready to go to another planet now and fight big ugly aliens.

den9
07-01-2007, 12:00 AM
to become a racer you pretty much have to be born into it. most people who become racers have family who do it, and started racing karts at 7 years old. this also means you need rich parents who will support you. if you start racing you will probaly be a mechanic then slowly climb up. i remember i wanted to be a racer so bad but it was unrealistic. waking up one morning and thinkin you wanna be a racecar driver wont ever happen. anything is possible, its just a matter of how bad you want it.

think of it like this, u wanna become a pro skate boarder, and you never skateboarded in your life, now X's that by atleast 300 grand for a car and traveling, (truck, trailer, hotels, gas) track fees, damages, cars, maintaince, driving school, fuel, pit crew, plus if your not making money yet you would have to miss alot of work.

cmr076
07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
^^^ i have rich parents why cant i be a racer :(

sherwood
07-01-2007, 11:03 PM
u can do anything if u put ur daddys check book to it!

CleanNeon98
07-01-2007, 11:16 PM
waiting to install sway bars then hopefully i can draw some attention at autox events

i like rice
07-01-2007, 11:19 PM
if you're just getting into racing now, you're 15-20 years behind. Most drivers that eventually go pro were racing in gokarts before they could write their name in cursive.

That being said, you'll be limited to grassroots racing, ie Solo II and Time Trials. Even a Spec Miata car will set you back $15k-20k to get it up to par with the other racers.

CleanNeon98
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
if you're just getting into racing now, you're 15-20 years behind. Most drivers that eventually go pro were racing in gokarts before they could write their name in cursive.

That being said, you'll be limited to grassroots racing, ie Solo II and Time Trials. Even a Spec Miata car will set you back $15k-20k to get it up to par with the other racers.

im only 18...u maen to tell me people start when they are 3? ha!

foss
07-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Probably around 5-6.

smelly240
07-02-2007, 06:24 AM
i started in 1/4 midgets when i was 6 - my sister started when she was 5 - and my other sister started in karts at 4 1/2.

when i was 10 I started in karts and my parents lied about my age so i could race in a faster class. They have different restrictor plates for kids - 7-10 is purple (.425) then blue (.500) is for 10-12, and gold is for 12-15 (.575).

in other words - 18 is more than 10 years behind.

Smokescreen
07-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Shumacher started when he was 4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher

xEJ20x
07-05-2007, 02:16 AM

Dale Earnhardt Jr. started at 17....

But he was born into the sport.

turboman808
07-06-2007, 06:29 AM
I have never heard of anyone getting attention thru autox first of all. You can be the best autoxer in the world and that means ****.

You don't nessesarly need to be born into racing but you have to live at the track. If you really start to get noticed you may be lucky and get a job there and get to know the guys at the track drivers school. You may at some point get good enough to become an instructor and from there you can really take off.

I discovered at 26 that I was a professional level cyclist. Had I discovered this at 16 I probably would have gone pro and been one hell of a cyclist. Problem is I discovered my ability 10 years to late LOL

For the most part it's true though. You need rich parents that raise you on the sport.

i like rice
07-06-2007, 07:32 AM
I have never heard of anyone getting attention thru autox first of all. You can be the best autoxer in the world and that means ****.

autoX doesn't get you anywhere. It just improves your skill. AutoXers eventually move to time trials and from there, other opportunities open up. Even then, there are thousands of other drivers to compete with at the semi pro level.