PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod end questions

markley02
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
When I pulled my tie rod ends off of the spindle the grease came out of the boot, but the boot did not rip. How do I refill them? Can I just pull the boot off of the tie rod? Will I destroy the boots getting them off? Can I just leave them as is with just a little bit of grease that is left in them? On the side of my lithium grease container it says to remove all the old grease first incase they are not compadable, is that true?

RayArroyo
06-11-2007, 10:16 AM
markley the problem of opening them up and resealing them is the fact that you may not be able to seal them back as good and they may pop opened.

i would replace the ends. they are about 35.00

and yes some greases are not compatible with each others and mixing the 2 may effect the viscosity

markley02
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
ok, so I am cheap. $35 each and then I will need an alignment. What if I just put them back on the car and wait until they go bad? Will I notice steering problems when they go, or can the whole ball pop out of the joint thus me having no steering?

RayArroyo
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
ok, so I am cheap. $35 each and then I will need an alignment. What if I just put them back on the car and wait until they go bad? Will I notice steering problems when they go, or can the whole ball pop out of the joint thus me having no steering?

i would put them back on, the ball wont just fly off lol you will notice it get noisy when they break.

CleanNeon98
06-11-2007, 07:30 PM
speaking of tie rods, im waitin to replace mine as well

ThePrimerSuspect
06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
you will probably get another 5-6k miles out of them with no grease in them and normal driving. but still replace them ASAP just to be safe.