PDA

View Full Version : broken endlink....AGAIN..and this time, its worse

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Why does this keep happening to me...i replaced them 2k miles ago or so, and today one snapped...here is a pic

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4452/image008gn4.jpg

What could this have been caused by? maybe just not being tightened enough? it happened when i did a hard shift into 2nd gear

05Accent
05-22-2007, 02:02 PM
seriously how are u driving this car for them to "just break" like that..

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 02:05 PM
seriously how are u driving this car for them to "just break" like that..

hard:cry:

Snoozie
05-22-2007, 02:16 PM
hard:cry:

Well there lies the answer to "why does this keep happening to me." :roll:

Arent you upgrading the swaybar soon anyway?

TurboTagTeam
05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Learn to drive correctly, end links dont just snap. I had 32mm bars on my civic, and they never broke.

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Well there lies the answer to "why does this keep happening to me." :roll:

Arent you upgrading the swaybar soon anyway?

I am getting one for the rear, because from factory, the civic didnt come with one, and the rsx-s one bolts in perfectly. I guess il replace this when I do my drop in a week...is it OK to drive with it this way for the time being? my friend told me to remove the sway all together for now

BTW Mike, my sway is pretty big as well, but thats no matter. Its a 25.4

Snoozie
05-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Its completly ok to run without a sway bar. Just dont go ripping around. Is this the front sway bar since it didnt come with one from the factory? :confused:

tjf
05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
meh endlinks, who needs em

on a more serious note, if you just fixed the endlink maybe you had a faulty part or something if you paid to have it fixed id take it back to the shop that did it and show them

Broken5hift
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
as they say in technical terms, user error

markley02
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Pretty much everyone has already given you the answer. A Civic is not meant to be driven hard. Does anyone make a beefier endlink?

XxaltezzaxX
05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Yea get some beefer endlinks, maybe some polyurethane ones. It's alright to drive with out the links but don't go driving around like an ass.

RayArroyo
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
i never seen them break in the shape of a red x before

edit: picture is back

Scapegoat
05-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Or as IT departments like to call it...

I.D. 10-T error

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Its completly ok to run without a sway bar. Just dont go ripping around. Is this the front sway bar since it didnt come with one from the factory? :confused:
Yes this happened on the front...the front there is a sway...
meh endlinks, who needs em

on a more serious note, if you just fixed the endlink maybe you had a faulty part or something if you paid to have it fixed id take it back to the shop that did it and show them
This was done as a DIY
Yea...I think I dindt tighten them enough
Pretty much everyone has already given you the answer. A Civic is not meant to be driven hard. Does anyone make a beefier endlink?
Hotchkins does for the RSX but they are universal...a set of 4 is around 150 bux

Broken5hift
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Yea...I think I dindt tighten them enough

if anything i think you over tightened them

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 04:10 PM
if anything i think you over tightened them

when they were undertightened, they kept getting loose and making noise, so I did em up all the way...il just have a shop do em over

BradC
05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
why dont you find an FSM and torque specs and make sure the new ones are put on properly

99SL2_Modder
05-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Bro, there should be movement in them. That looks like there's no movement in the joints and it's just shearing off when you torque the frame.

Wait, did I say torque in reference to a honda?

Anyway, those are some thin ass endlinks. IIRC, my front bar is that thick and I have no issues with mine snapping...then again, my car uses a better spring method...

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Bro, there should be movement in them. That looks like there's no movement in the joints and it's just shearing off when you torque the frame.

Wait, did I say torque in reference to a honda?

Anyway, those are some thin ass endlinks. IIRC, my front bar is that thick and I have no issues with mine snapping...then again, my car uses a better spring method...

they are same size as OEM ones that I replaced...i dindt know they were supposed to move because hwen they did, they got too lose, and made grinding noises

99SL2_Modder
05-22-2007, 06:28 PM
they are same size as OEM ones that I replaced...i dindt know they were supposed to move because hwen they did, they got too lose, and made grinding noises

Yeah man, they're supposed to swivel. That swaybar is meant to bend and twist. Since it's doing that, the ends have to be able to turn and move when the bar does. If it can't, they'll snap right the fug off like that.

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah man, they're supposed to swivel. That swaybar is meant to bend and twist. Since it's doing that, the ends have to be able to turn and move when the bar does. If it can't, they'll snap right the fug off like that.
so how do i tighten them so they dont get loose, but not too tight

99SL2_Modder
05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
so how do i tighten them so they dont get loose, but not too tight

They shouldn't be getting loose.

The nuts should be nylon lockers. If they're not, you're getting ripped off.

Tighten till they don't wiggle with force, but the heim joints still rotate semi-free. They shouldn't be 2 dollar hooker loose, but they shouldn't be virgin tight either. They should be able to move with some effort. It's a feel kind of thing.

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
They shouldn't be getting loose.

The nuts should be nylon lockers. If they're not, you're getting ripped off.

Tighten till they don't wiggle with force, but the heim joints still rotate semi-free. They shouldn't be 2 dollar hooker loose, but they shouldn't be virgin tight either. They should be able to move with some effort. It's a feel kind of thing.

hmm...they dindt come with locking ones.

99SL2_Modder
05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
hmm...they dindt come with locking ones.

Yeah, scrap those nuts then. Bring the endlink to home deepthroat and start trying out the nylon locking nuts.

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, scrap those nuts then. Bring the endlink to home deepthroat and start trying out the nylon locking nuts.
will do

on a side note
i start working at home deepthroat on the 31st :)

ozthunder
05-22-2007, 08:04 PM
And that is?

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
And that is?

what sl modder calls home depot

99SL2_Modder
05-22-2007, 08:35 PM
what sl modder calls home depot

Ding!

Home Deepthroat and Blows.

One of them usually has what you need.

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Ding!

Home Deepthroat and Blows.

One of them usually has what you need.

LMFAO thats a sig quote

Vince@R/TTuning
05-22-2007, 09:23 PM
i beleive they are different from right to left...but they can be installed on the wrong side so make sure that they are on the correct side...and if you car is lowered you might have to get a sway bar with adjustable holes at the end to get the right geometry...

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
i beleive they are different from right to left...but they can be installed on the wrong side so make sure that they are on the correct side...and if you car is lowered you might have to get a sway bar with adjustable holes at the end to get the right geometry...

yea they do vary..i think i put em on the right sides...they are a bit shorter than the stockers were so they get a bit stretched, once the car lowers, it should balance out

whitezenki
05-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Lol at your straw thin endlinks
these are mine
http://splparts.com/Parts/NissanShared/Suspension/Stabilizers/SPLRearStabilink.JPG
Get beefier endlinks.

CleanNeon98
05-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Lol at your straw thin endlinks
these are mine
http://splparts.com/Parts/NissanShared/Suspension/Stabilizers/SPLRearStabilink.JPG
Get beefier endlinks.

i wish i had money to get the hotchkins ones...i just overtightened them and gave em no room to move so they snapped :(

CleanNeon98
05-23-2007, 07:25 AM
can the nylon locking nuts be re-used...there are some on my OEM endlinks that I can throw on

CleanNeon98
05-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Need a bit of word on this one because I question it. A guy on the 7thgen boards had a track set em2 that he used in autocross and stuff..i remember i saw one of his posts that he ran for some time with no sway bars at all...now since the front sway is so big, and there is no rear, i believe that causes the understeer to happen..what if i removed the front sway bar alltogether. What would the performance effects be? the safety issues if any? I am wondering because he changes his setups every so often, so running without sways might not have any negative short-term effect, but in the long run, i dont want my frame to start bending or cracking, etc.

BradC
05-23-2007, 11:24 AM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

Read and learn what they are/how they work. Formulate your own plan with your new-found knowledge :)

CleanNeon98
05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

Read and learn what they are/how they work. Formulate your own plan with your new-found knowledge :)

checked the links out, and i got an idea for it, but one thing remains uncertain..if i remove the car, is it possible for something to go bad with it missing..my concern isnt the handling, because if i dont like the way the car rides without it, i put it back on and move on..if the lack of the bar will cause something to crack/break i dont want to take the chance of removing it

99SL2_Modder
05-23-2007, 03:34 PM
checked the links out, and i got an idea for it, but one thing remains uncertain..if i remove the car, is it possible for something to go bad with it missing..my concern isnt the handling, because if i dont like the way the car rides without it, i put it back on and move on..if the lack of the bar will cause something to crack/break i dont want to take the chance of removing it

Handling will suck balls.

And yes, nylon lockers should be reuseable unless you ****ed them up.

CleanNeon98
05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
the sway has kinda shifted a bit over to the side that still has a link on it...do i just push it back in or something?

99SL2_Modder
05-23-2007, 08:37 PM
the sway has kinda shifted a bit over to the side that still has a link on it...do i just push it back in or something?

Even it back out. Not that it will matter, since when you install it all, it should pretty much center itself, but just be on the safe side.

Oh, don't forget to swap the nuts on the good side and make sure that it can still move.

CleanNeon98
05-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Even it back out. Not that it will matter, since when you install it all, it should pretty much center itself, but just be on the safe side.

Oh, don't forget to swap the nuts on the good side and make sure that it can still move.

correct...if the endlink comes tomorrow, il do it along with the motor mount inserts

CleanNeon98
05-26-2007, 01:27 PM
well i realized why it broke, and why they kept getting lose. the OEM endlinks have a bumpstop so you can tighten them 100% and still have room for them to move. the sankei ones dont have this stop, so you have to tighten them COMPLETELY pressing the sway bar all the way into the link itself, and giving it no room to move. looks like I gota get OEM ones or maybe some grey's