PDA

View Full Version : Other Preludes

AutobahnRacer
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
my engine is making sounds that i dont belive to be normal. honda assosciates say its normal, some mechanics say it is while others of their mechanics say its not. so does anyone else have a prelude that is willing to meet up with me sometime to compare the sounds of the engine?

i live in west chester/exton area. PM me please if your willing to meet up

Metalhedd
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
what kind of sound is it makin dude?

Danronian
05-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm guessing the clicking of Honda injectors for almost the same noise of a valvetrain in need of adjustment.

AutobahnRacer
05-17-2007, 10:10 PM
its more of a whirly sound and there is clicking now that i think about it

Danronian
05-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Strange sounds like that are often tensioner bearings, other accessory bearings going out, or a pilot or throwout bearing. Then again, with the balance shafts in some of those motors, it could be a normal sound...who knows. Try the mechanic's stethoscope method of placing your ear on the end of a long stick while the car is running. Put the stick on the different parts of the motor to see where the noise is coming from. Always works when I'm tracking down a mystery noise.

CHR!S
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM

is it when you engage/disengage the clutch? does the noise go away when you push in the clutch?

AutobahnRacer
05-18-2007, 02:44 PM
it seems as i am accelerating for whirling and idle for the grumble/vibration

Metalhedd
05-18-2007, 03:13 PM
if its a throwout bearing it would only make noise when you engage the clutch. clicking sounds when the clutch isnt pushed in could be the figers on the pressure plate getting loose and rattling. could also be the springs in the clutch plate rattling.

Danronian
05-18-2007, 06:48 PM
it seems as i am accelerating for whirling and idle for the grumble/vibration

Not sure what you mean by whirling. Could be anything from a wheel bearing, to an axle, to a tranny bearing.

Vibrations at idle are usually engine mount related. Every Honda I've ever owned or been in with over 100k miles had some engine mount issue generally causing a vibration.